Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

I don’t want to be, but this is where I’m at at the moment. I absolutely want a revival of BIONICLE, but I have a feeling that it’ll either fall through or won’t be a revival at all and something else.

6 Likes

If Faber’s posting something, I hope that means he’s working on something behind the scenes. One reason I’m skeptical is that he would tease something this early.

If it’s really a G3, having the ‘B’ double as a ‘3’ is genius.

EDIT: Just finished Meso’s video. The ‘14B’ thing makes sense. Idk what else it could be. I remain skeptical, but I’m also a bit hyped :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I really hope Bionicle comes back just to quickly get cancelled again.

~W12~

1 Like

I doubt anything will come of this. from what I’ve seen i understand this to not even be a pitch yet. from the overall lack of interest in action figures by the modern Child i don’t see a new bionicle in the future. most action figures today tend to market themselves to the teen and adult collector market. (for example: marvel legends, star wars black series and transformers generations). From my experiences from Walking through toystores the miniscule amounts of action figures is really noticeable. and quite honestly i don’t really see anything lego does to market a new bionicle being able to change that.

if it happens i will of course support it though

2 Likes

Again, it’s not that modern kids are no longer interested in action figures, it was actually LEGO’s lack of interest in the theme and the poor marketing which lead to it’s failure. There are still plenty of kids out there who enjoyed Hero Factory and G2 and would like more action figure themes, but which LEGO doesn’t really care about. If LEGO really cared, it would have shown to those kids that those figures are cool in the same way they show that Ninjago is cool, and kids would have loved it as much as they love Ninjago or Nexo Knighs. So yeah, saying that “modern kids are no longer interested in action figures” is not 100% true And if indeed kids are not interested in them anymore, it’s LEGO fault for not exposing the kids to them.

1 Like

Kids today are not as interested anymore, while there still is some interest, it is nowhere near what it was.

But the interest is not all gone. If they focused on Constraction as much as on system as they used to, Constraction could become popular again.

1 Like

Maybe. Hopefully. But that could easily be wishful thinking.

But, who’s to say Faber’s ideas aren’t System-related? :wink:

4 Likes

I would hope not.

2 Likes

Can you back that up with studies or something? Because you say this but your argument is based off a generalization.

2 Likes

Well I found this article about a study but the link seems dead, you’re welcome to look more into it but I understand burden of proof so you probably won’t.

I’m a link.

It is based off a generalization and my observations of what I have seen, when I was a kid, I saw a lot more action figures around but nowadays kids have greater access to technology.

I would say that Lego could invest into contraction again but I’m not sure how well it would pay off.

1 Like

@Ghid If something happens Bionicle related on October 3rd next year I’ll consider myself the luckiest human on the planet. My birthday is October 4th, and Force Friday this year takes place on that date. If next year something happens with Bionicle, my most beloved franchise across any medium, just one day before my birthday, something weird has to be going on.

3 Likes

I doubt that they’d tease something like this a year and a half in advance. It’ll probably be October 3rd this year, assuming the theory’s correct.

2 Likes

Reading that article shows me that toys in general have had lower sales. So it’s not just action figures. But there is still a demand for Lego, and Lego clearly is still trying with buildable figures (Minecraft for instance) so it isn’t a dead market yet.

3 Likes

Taken from current experience as a TFOL and as a TF fan, I’d say you are correct. Functions are starting to take star again. Now, they aren’t that good, but they are there nonetheless. Look at all these 1-Step Tf toys, or gimmicky Lego sets with half-baked functions.

The problem is that MC is still popular among the younger demographic and foreign markets compared to TFOLS and AFOLS. Bionicle isn’t that popular for the youngens.

3 Likes

That’s sort of my point. Lego is keeping constraction alive with popular themes. So they are still trying. What they need is a good original theme to keep it alive.

1 Like

Man I’m a TFOL calling people 3-4 years younger than me youngens…

Yeah. Star Wars is an example of a popular constraction line. Maybe they should redo Slizers with CCBS (Renaming them, of course). I would love to see a line I never got to see revived.

2 Likes

Guys, it’s not a prank, Faber’s actually trying to tell us something. To be clear, he says “Amazing!!! There is only one thing to do after that responce. This project is “ON” from my side and now comes the hard part and the leap of faith and airtime untill it takes the right shape.” in his comment at the top of the post, so it seems to be his own project; but it still appears to be something legitimate.

6 Likes

There are a couple things I wanted to say around this topic.

First, why can’t a new Bionicle be aimed at the general teen audience? I mean like you said Transformers Generations markets itself to that general age range and it does amazingly. I feel like Bionicle could easily have a story that could successfully click with teens.

Second, what if, and hear me out on this, what if they weren’t action figures? But instead system sets with structures and vehicles like say Ninjago or Nexoknights. Maybe with some specialized minifigs like Hero Factory Invasion From Below. I know Bionicle has its roots in constraction, but its reasonable that the brand should make some necessary changes in order to be successful.

In my opinion, the most important thing the original Bionicle had was its story. The lore, characters, and world are what drew me, and many others in. As long as this new Bionicle has good and strong story with good characters, I’ll be happy.

6 Likes

Considering the name of the hashtag is #14b2020 and the B looks like a 3, I’ve come to a slight assumption that whatever it is, it’s probably coming on the date 3/14/2020, or for others 2020/03/14, depending if you put year/month/day, or day/month/year.

4 Likes