Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

People like money.
People like fame.
And generally, people are greedy.
I am kinda speaking without context here, since I don’t really know what this “Rebel nature” is, other than another one of Faber’s projects, so feel free to debunk/disregard this post.
People, no matter how pure they are, fill those three statements. Even if Faber would be holy enough to try to do such a move with Lego, one of the biggest toy companies ever, he would still fit those three statements. Maybe in a lesser percent, but this doesn’t matter.
Unless you somehow read a person’s mind, you can’t know his exact 1x1 thoughts, unless you are that person himself. Therefore, some people (including the ones that are sceptic towards a G3 only 3 years after G2’s failure) use these three factors (which can be better named as human stereotypes) to hold the hype in, and to try not to make everybody down for a project that might not even happen.
Not to mention that, looking at those stereotypes, this project actually may be part of Rebel Nature. I don’t quite believe that because… to my knowledge rebel nature has no Toa canisters, but there would still be a lot of people that would buy that.
Hopefully what I just said makes sense.

1 Like

The thing to know about Rebel Nature is that it isn’t just a single project. Rebel Nature is much closer to a creative initiative than anything else.

Currently we only know of one actual IP that’s officially a part of Rebel Nature, that being Waveborn. This is the thing we typically see when Faber shows off Rebel Nature things, it’s the girl and the robot and the ocean. So far, we know he is currently in production of a film project for Waveborn, but I’ve also seen snippets of a video game, and it’s safe to say that all of the art Faber has made is part of that “franchise” as well.

Now, when people say that Faber is using Bionicle imagery and themes to “draw people in” to Rebel Nature, to me it often comes off as people trying to paint this as intentional and insidious on his part (how dare you use my childhood to force me to care about climate change). I don’t believe that’s the case at all. I do think, considering how passionate Faber is about his initiative and how well-suited Bionicle’s themes are to the core of Rebel Nature, that he is trying to make some form of spiritual successor to Bionicle to join Waveborn as a Rebel Nature IP.

Some notes on that:

• It does not mean that Waveborn and 14b2020 will necessarily be in the same universe. Even if they are, it seems like 14b2020 is highly focused on extremely isolated portions of the Earth, so I don’t see humans being active players in the story as a possibility.
  • Faber is not doing this to intentionally mislead people. I sincerely believe he means well in his endeavors and that he truly wants to make something as close to Bionicle as he possibly can for the fans to enjoy. I do think he definitely underestimated the zeal of the fanbase and how speculative we can be, which has lead to people over-hyping the project and coming to false conclusions of a G3 or G1 continuation or something. Important thing to keep in mind is that people’s expectations not being met are not on Faber. Could he have been more forward with his plans? Of course, but in the end Faber enjoys being mysterious and it’s just how he is, and ultimately he is not responsible for people expecting too much of this.

I, for one, am still extremely excited about the project. I’m excited about the story possibilities, and I’m excited to see something heavily Bionicle-esque be used for such a neat creative initiative. It’s not LEGO BIONICLE™, but to see a project aimed at recapturing its spirit is something I can get behind.

And I, again, seriously implore everyone in this thread to at least look at Rebel Nature. A lot of people are here only for the Bionicle aspect, but I honestly think doing so misses the bigger picture. I feel you might find something worth your time that stokes your passion or interest in the entire initiative at least a little bit, and it can give you a more positive outlook on 14b2020 on the whole.

13 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5-J5JiJDUd/

“Let’s just say that there is a certain theme to my #top9of2019 blueish and focused on teasing a dream. Thanks to all you insta followers for a great #2019 :v:t3: 2020 is going to be magic!!! #2020rebel #14b2020 #rebelnature #RIG21studio

Can’t believe this isn’t posted here yet. Looks like he really is ramping up his teases. RIG21 is cryptic, but may refer to an app game Cryoshell did some music for–one connected to Rebel Nature. This means that either 3ION are RN are directly connected or they’re getting something similar.

We’re in the endgame now.

7 Likes

It seems like the Bohok are back!

1 Like

Or they might just be there as a placeholder to show off some of the themes being expressed. Maybe.

I honestly don’t know what to make of this, we’ll just have to wait and see.

Is that bohrok artwork new, or is it the one that existed before? I can’t really tell from the small picture.

No clue :stuck_out_tongue:

It is old art
https://biosector01.com/wiki/Gallery:Bohrok#Tahnok

3 Likes

This just in:

A very intriguing video. Make of it what you will :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

“…biological chronicle…”
Me: Say sike right now.
OK, I am slowly getting hyped again.

I think what’s particularly interesting is what he’s saying about the RIG21 thing. Like… as some kind of VR storytelling tool, or something? And possibly having 3ionicle be a part of that

Maybe we will get a motion captured g3.

We’ll just have to wait and see.

I called it.

4 Likes

Something old, but still new. Could be a reference to bringing back a 20-year-old IP, or maybe a direct re-imagining of G1. Either way, this is definitely going to be something legit.

B.L.U.E.

Bionicle
Loves
Underrated
Eggshells

If you ask me, this is just too much of a coincidence to ignore. The newest products may very well be made of the materials we’ve been criminally ignoring for so many decades: eggshells.

5 Likes

It honestly just sounds like a studio name. So both projects are sharing the same studio space and technologies. So yeah, a tool.

If it has anything to do with Lego, Faber could have approached them with the offer to make something with this technology. I can see it being a big push In The marketing front.

Actually, was looking at the PDF about workshop/lecture he gave earlier this year (link on the Facebook page) and it looks like he’s used this technology to make that Lego moon landing video. So yeah, Lego and this studio have been in touch.
It also looks like his partner worked at Bungie?

EDITED FOR DOUBLE POSTING - Sponge ref

6 Likes

So it’s 2020 now (Happy New Year, guys!). January 4th (1/4/2020) is only 3 days away. Will Christian Faber reveal more then? :thinking: :wink:

5 Likes

why did yanks swap around the month and the day in dates I will never understand

11 Likes

Oh that’s true. It could be April 1, 2020…

4 Likes