Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

This seems to be the more likely and concerning option

4 Likes

So it’s January 4th.
To my knowledge, nothing happened.

1 Like

nice :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Then again, I am living in a different timezone than Copenhagen, so yeah.

1 Like

I really want there to be a Bionicle G3 one day. I know it won’t recapture the magic of G1, but I still want it to be of high quality. Here is my wishlist for G3:

1.) Sets that are high quality, but still affordable (NOT $20 a figure)
2.) A story with thought and care put into it
3.) Marketing that’s done properly
4.) The story shouldn’t be too convoluted, but it also shouldn’t be dumbed down

Basically, I’d like G3 to have everything that G1 and G2 did right, and nothing that they did wrong.

4 Likes

Those are some pretty demanding (and some might say vague) criteria.

3 Likes

I never said Lego has to do everything I said. Even if the sets ended up being $20 a pop, I’m sure they’d still be high quality. And what I’d like for the story…well, how do I explain this? It seems that the premise of six heroes washing up on an island to fight the forces of evil would be kept, and I am 100% on board with that. The whole point of a reboot is to take the premise of the original and take it in a new direction. All I want is for the storyline of G3 to be original.

The other big element is characters. One of the biggest things that made G1 so great was how much care was put into developing the characters. The characters’ personalities were fresh, and their interactions had charm. Now, if G3 made changes to the characters’ G1 (or even G2) personalities, that would not be a problem. Again, a reboot shouldn’t be a carbon copy of the original. But what should be carried over is the charm.

And the marketing. I can’t say too much on this matter, since I’m no marketing consultant. But from what I’ve heard, Lego mostly relied on positive word of mouth to market G2. It didn’t go over so well, as we saw. But G1 had lots of things: an online game, trading cards, collectible masks, and even a McDonald’s promo tie-in. Obviously, it’s not 2001 anymore, and things have changed. So they’d have to take a different approach. G2 had a decent idea with making a short YouTube series, so maybe G3 could do something like that (heck, even Hidden Side is doing it). Maybe there could be a mobile game as well.

All things considered, I think G3 is a great idea. If it learns from the mistakes of its predecessors, and executes its concept well, then it can succeed. Will it outlast G1 or Ninjago? Maybe not. But it can leave a good impression on us.

5 Likes

That’s all well and good, and I agree for the most part, but you really need to keep in mind that 14b2020 isn’t anything close to a G3.

A lot of things you’re saying I’m sure are things the entire Bionicle community can get behind. A fusion of the best elements of G1 and G2 would probably make the best Bionicle experience we’ve seen yet, to be honest.

That being said, that isn’t what this is. LEGO isn’t even involved. But that doesn’t mean it can’t be interesting in its own way, and I’m personally very excited to see how much of Bionicle is present and the new ways Faber can spin the concept.

7 Likes

I mean, yeah. What I said in my posts was hypothetical, if Lego did decide to do G3. However…

I think it’s great that Christian Faber is revisiting his earlier work. For years, he’s been actively encouraging us Bionicle fans to keep going forward with the theme. With all of our MOCs, fanfics, and recreated games, he’s been very supportive, as a content creator should be. And to see that he’s doing the same thing himself feels very wholesome.

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7_e9HLpvux/

“Approaching The Well of Time. Grains of sand are rising from the infinite deep, defying gravity of time. Will you dare to jump in? #14B2020

Faber be teasing us.

19 Likes

OK, that actually sounds kinda cool.
And a little hyping.

2 Likes

The interesting part of this is that it looks very different from the other teasers, in terms of the warmer color palette and subject matter being an artificial location rather than natural features like the prior ones. I wonder if this is purely metaphorical to suggest a reboot/reimagining starting at the beginning, or if this is meant to be an actual location, perhaps an analogue of some sort to the Kini-Nui or Temple Of Time?

9 Likes

It looks more like something on Bara Magna. Remember that Flash Game, Sands of Time? I think it has a link…

2 Likes

Imagine: a giant exhaust port hidden somewhere beneath the Antarctic ice. A portal to who-knows-where. What lies beneath? Some hidden world?

4 Likes

No, I’ll never forget

5 Likes

Intriguing. The thing about this is that it’s distinctly new, rather than calling back to a previous idea like the canisters or the hidden warrior or whatever. Which seems to imply this might be picking up steam now.

I’ll be watching with interest.

4 Likes

This is a DRAMATIC ■■■■■ if I’ve ever seen one, and it’s downright surreal in its imagery. Faber’s moving into his next phase.

6 Likes

Like what @SirKeksalot said, I feel like this is definitely a new phase. The prior teases were references to familiar imagery and concepts as a hook for us Bionicle fans. This however is presenting something entirely new. I feel like now we’re actually going to be getting a window into what this is.

It certainly feels like Bionicle, without directly referencing anything from Bionicle - and to me, that’s perfect.

9 Likes

Looks really neat. I’m excited to see what becomes of this thing. Since Sokoda’s project, my excitement has died down, so I really can’t be disappointed if Faber goes nowhere with this.

2 Likes

To be honest, I think Sokoda did us a favor in that regard. He gave us a much more realistic goal to shoot for and get excited about. Now, with that under our belts, we can look at this with a much more tempered and reasoned out look. Because now, we’re no longer as desperate for any sort of official bionicle content, (even if his project never gets made).

9 Likes