Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Hollow Chest Makuta looks interesting and creepy but not sure what it’s supposed to be. The picture’s dated 2007, so they would be planning 2008-2009. A scrapped Mistika Teridax form?

5 Likes

And my line of thinking is, “At least there’s a coast to look forward to.” We may not like it, it may not be the one we’re hoping for, but at least there is land.

6 Likes

Ok, so this project has something to do with old concepts for the line. This has to be the most concrete hint so far. Faber’s likely to dust off some unused art and story ideas to show us, but how RIG21 fits into this is unclear. Were they not in the picture, it’d be easy to assume he’s just finishing the Turaga Files and compiling them as a book or something; but if his business is involved, he has to make money on this or else it’s just throwing away cash for a passion project, so how can he do that without provoking Lego’s lawyers?

5 Likes

Correcting one thing here, this isn’t a 2007 makuta design it was a 2001 concept for makuta “teridax” In Faber’s post he comments “Looking back at my 2001 sketchbook.” This design was most likely one of the original designs for Makuta Teridax and as it appears did not make it into the final story.

My own thoughts on the post so far.

May be reading to much into this, but I think he told us more than you’d think.
First off what we do know from this post:

The hollow chest makuta is an idea, concept for makuta original since this comes from his 2001 sketchbook. Second the design of the makuta is strikingly similar to the promotional “M” artwork, the “M” circle sketch also resembles the symbol for the makuta phantoka, perhaps this was an inspiration.

From reading through his post, Faber is going to harken back to some old concepts and give them new light. From what it sounds like he’s incorporating old ideas into his “Bionicle”
Theorywise: I think he’s going to give a bionicle more similar to what the early days gave us.
with six heroes cast away on a strange island full of wonder and danger, the makuta will probably be the only of its kind, perhaps the rest died off or something to that effect. Perhaps he’ll take the metaphor that started his inspiration for Bionicle and change it into what Bionicle means to him now.
Whatever it is, I’m kinda more excited now

3 Likes

It occurs to me that his initial Makuta logo looks A LOT like the G2 MoCo.

5 Likes

I had the same thought. The whole thing gives me Umarak the Destroyer vibes, what with the big horns/tusks and the overall bulky stature.

5 Likes

do you think the people who worked on G2 used some of the old concept art from G1 as inspiration for G2’s characters and/or sets?

3 Likes

It’s a possibility.

Also that face looks surprisingly similar to a krana

2 Likes

from his Facebook page

8 Likes

Faber also had this to share with us on Instagram:

11 Likes

2020 and these are truly surreal times so this might be the time to search for new masks, new knowledge and start to create new legends. We need to restore hope. Life is an adventure and the planet needs real life heroes. So we better start educating the next generation with stories that inspire. You all know who you are, Turaga and vice on the past but heading for the future. #mybiologicalchronicle #14b2020 #2020rebel

I can’t help but wonder why he’s associating it with RN. This art might not even be relevant to 3IO; it might just be stuff he has sitting around. Note: the original concept art didn’t have that mask he colored in. He replaced “Nanbok” with something closer to a Hau.

3 Likes

…Because it’s one of the other projects he’s been working on over the last 20 years? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I meant this concept art. What does this have to do with it? It’s obvious how it connects to 3IO, but not RN.

1 Like

He puts that tag on most of his posts regardless, I doubt it’s supposed to mean anything.

2 Likes

He does, but I think we have reason to believe 14b2020 is meant to be another sub-franchise under the RN banner. Not to mention, “Rebel Nature” also just seems to be Faber’s general philosophy, and it’s looking like 14b2020 will be incorporating similar environmental themes.

That being said, this concept art is really cool. As far as we know this Hau is new, right? It’s looking really cool, and it’s kinda the organic-industrial aesthetic I’ve been wanting to see. I really want to see where this is going.

2 Likes

I’d still rather hold out hope that it’s its own entity

Just following the general themes Faber seems to be shooting for lately.

1 Like

I shan’t rule out this possibility, but that seems like such a bizarre turn of events. Oh well, we probably only have a month before he finally ends our suffering and reveals something of substance.

3 Likes

Another post from Faber! This time, it’s a video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-PaumRpkTc/?igshid=nizbzh9ihuv6\

Since we are very close to April, we should expect to get more stuff related to #14B2020 very soon.

8 Likes

2 days now! Shoot, has TTV done any April Fools setup? It’s been pretty low key this year…

2 Likes

They said they aren’t doing April Fools this year because of the current uncertain/controversial nature of Bionicle with 14B2020 and the canonization contest discussion.

6 Likes