3D Printing and Modeling

Decided to update this mask I made a while ago. It’s rendered in Blender Internal instead of Cycles. Added a subdivision modifier to the mask to improve appearance.

5 Likes

Hmm the other backers are not going to be happy about this. On the topic of Ono it was delayed another month when they found a problem with their pcb boards they were using. They have just announced that they are going to be releasing the app to 100 people for testing. Not sure what good testing the app is without the printer.

I finally have a G2 mask connection
So now I have a basic connection point modeled and printed for a G2 mask connection. Now hopefully I will be able to make some masks in the next coming months without school getting in the way.

Mask of Ultimate waffles here I come!

3 Likes

I found a few masks made by 00dude00. They are a sight to see.

2 Likes

Is the frosted ultra detail better than the hi-def acrylate? I want to buy some masks and pieces:)

Unfortunately I don’t know as I haven’t bought anything from shapeways but that might change in the near future.

Here’s something to keep eyes on; it’s a $99 3d printer on kickstarter called the obsidian 3D printer. It apparently creates great quality prints for a cheap price.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1403065126/obsidian-3d-printer-high-quality-sleek-and-afforda/description

I think that’s a great printer, but they say that the retail price could be 199$. I hope not but it could be…

the retail price for the basic printer, which doesn’t have any of the fancy bells and whistles, is only $99. The full one, the one with all the cool and useful features is $249.
The full version includes smart LCD screen, heated bed, built in camera(to monitor and film video/timelapses), the ability to control it from from an app, and the ability to recover from a power outage if in the middle of a print( it basically remembers where and when in the process of printing the model is when power stops flowing to the printer. When that happens it’s able to tell and will continue/ ask to continue the print.)
Even when just getting the base model of the printer, the print quality looks really good.

Update 7/4//2017

Here is another printer to keep eyes on: http://myt3d.com/
It’s not out yet, and doesn’t state price point, but it has some interesting features like multi-color resin printing with a kit. This is supposed to be another smartphone 3D printer that says it is going on kickstarter soon.

Update 7/17/2017

Now on Shapeways

Well I’ve finally have it finished and up on Shapeways for all to get. Unfortunately I have not printed this yet due to being in the middle of a move.

Your piece looks amazing on shapeways👍

Edit: the t3d looks good, but I don’t want to wait so long.
Do you know something new about the ono printer?

Thanks

I far as I know there is no new news about the ono printer yet. I’ve been getting my info from the actual kickstarter page for it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/olo3d/olo-the-first-ever-smartphone-3d-printer/comments. Mainly I try to pay attention to the comment section as there is sometimes stuff there that Ono won’t post about.
Here’s also another resin printer on kickstarter for $159 at the cheapest, with the estimated shipping date of December 2017: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/249504031/sparkmaker-the-most-affordable-desktop-sla-3d-prin/description
I actually found out about this through someone’s post/ comment in Ono’s kickstarter comment section.

Can anyone give any tips/advice on a good axle connection for Bionicle masks? Do you just go with the official diameter of 4.8 mm?

I don’t remember the dimensions I used for the piece I put on shapeways but I used a combinations of digital calipers and also the dimensions from this website: https://www.cailliau.org/Alphabetical/L/Lego/Dimensions/General%20Considerations/

This is a rough model from @Star-Lord photoshoped piece. It´s not the final version.

I don´t know if this is the correct shape and size because I don´t have a 3d printer at home. I hope you like it.

4 Likes

It looks good and definitely looks like it would work.

I decided to make it and whipped it up in around 30 minutes(I don’t know exactly as I wasn’t keeping track) using the measurements from the previous part I made.
Lego F + M horizontal connector piece

I also made these pieces whose main idea came from Niklas Jansson(LEGO project)
F double sided stud and M double sided stud
These and my previous parts can be found on shapeways here: The Foundry's Extractions by ericbavaro4 - Shapeways Shops

I have ordered the first part I posted to shapeways so that and pictures should be coming soon. As for my next project/ piece I am working on is remodeling the poseable minifig design from Niklas Jansson as the model I made previously was made not knowing how to model for 3D printing/ manufacturing.

2 Likes

I had another idea for a ccbs piece

5 Likes

Finally finished this. I’m glad it is as it was a pain in the but to get the shaping on the hips of the legs. I would like to know your opinions on this and how it could be made better.
Nicklas Jannson's poseable minifigure done!

I’m also curious as to the podcast’s thoughts to this will be, that is if they ever do see it. How would I go about letting them know besides pming them individually?

Also @Cyber-Hand what do you think about it(if this does ever reach you)

edit 9/5/2017:
sloped 3 stud long

Update 9/7/2017:
I have backed the Sparkmaker printer, a couple days ago, over on kickstarter with the shipping date of december. Hopefully it arrives then but I am expecting some sort of delay.

2 Likes

I wanted to wait for the Kodama Obsidian printer, but the shipping fee is extreme. And the printer itself costs 149 $ instead of 99$. Do you know another printer under 100$? I don´t want to spend to much because I know that I won`t use them so often.

1 Like

I currently don’t know any other printer under $100 currently. The cheaper but better printers are usually above the $100 point, and I am including kits in that range which can involve things the customer has to do like soldering(I believe). So apart from that, I can’t say much apart from you have to do the research yourself as you know best what you want in a 3D printer and you know how much you’re willing to spend to get one.

Update:
The kickstarter period for the sparkmaker just finished and in that update thanking the backers they said they were also going to go on indiegogo later on. More info on that when it comes by.

1 Like

Sorry, what I wrote before about the price was my mistake. The printer itself costs 99$ and the 50$ shipping fee was already added for my country.

Just looked and found a $99 3D printer: https://www.imakr.com/us/en/startt-affordable-3d-printer/1146-startt-3d-printer.html
From what I’ve seen of the obsidian close to production prototypes, it has great quality so in my opinion it would be worth the shipping. And with pre orders and kickstarters,from what I see, you usually pay more to ship.

I paid $129 for the sparkmaker but the shipping was $60, bringing it to a total of $189 which is still cheaper than its actual price.(same shipping price for everyone)

update 9/20/17:
the T3D resin printer is up on kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/906506734/t3d-the-worlds-first-mobile-multifunction-3d-print?ref=newest

1 Like