A Made Up Language I am working on...I need to think of better titles.

I have a small passion for language, though I have difficulties learning vocabularies. To have fun in my hobby I made up a language and I’m still adding words to the dictionary. I called it “Common Tongue” as I based it as the common language for my fictional story, Moner, from A Universe Unlike Ours. (One of my fictional universes). I first started with the grammar, I didn’t want it to be like English, my native language…so…I decided to see if I could make a language that has no subjects in their sentence. It took me a while to think of how that could or would work, but I found a way. Prefixes. It was prefixes. I used prefixes to cover for my lack of subject. Eventually I did add subjects back, but I made them optional as you could imply the subject, unless it needed detail, which then you could use the subject.

So, I made a language that started with the verb, with a subject prefix, and ended in a direct object. I eventually moved onto make sentence types, to communicate interrogative, exclamatory, and declarative functions. I have yet to include imperative functions or a sentence type for it, but I hope you guys like this little made up language.

I’m sorry if this is confusing…

Sentence Structure: Variations, Dependent on Subject(s) (technically all are shown as declarative sentence types)

(Regular Sentence)
Modifier / Subject Prefix / Infinitive Verb / Verb Tense Suffix (Past, Present, Future, etc.) / Direct Object / Modifier of Direct Object (Adjective, etc.)

(Irregular Sentence, with subject)
Modifier / Subject Prefix / Infinitive Verb / Verb Tense Suffix (Past, Present, Future, etc.) / Subject / Direct Object / Modifier of Direct Object (Adjective, etc.)

(Regular Compound Sentences)
Modifier / Prefix / Verb / Suffix / (Subject*) / Direct Object / Conjunction / Modifier / Verb / Suffix / Direct Object / Modifier of Direct Object

(Irregular Compound Sentences)
Modifier / Verb / Suffix / Subjects [Subject, Conjunction, Subject, Subject…] / Direct Object / Conjunction / Modifier / Verb / Suffix / Direct Object / Modifier of Direct Object

Sentence Types: Based on Functions (Declarative, Exclamatory, Inquisitive / Interrogative.

(Exclamatory Sentence Type)
Modifier / Prefix / Verb / Suffix / Subject* / Direct Object / Modifier of Direct Object / Object of Exclamation

(Interrogative Sentence Type)
Determiner (Question Word) / Determiner / Prefix / Verb / Suffix / Subject* / Direct Object / Modifier of Direct Object

Subjects marked with* are optional for the sentence structure, if the sentence is irregular it means it needs the subject.

Getting that our of the way. The Vocabulary. Instead of writing every single word here I’ll post the link to my unorganized dictionary, I’m hopefully going to make a organized version soon enough.
It allows for comments, so feel free to comment. Also a tip, to search for a specific word press [Ctrl+G] a search bar will appear on (possibly only google chrome?) and will allow you to search the dictionary and find things quickly, providing they are in the dictionary.

Well. I hope you like my little made up language.

5 Likes

Nice you can make a language by yourself, this would be impossible for me.Seems like a really hard language… Good job!

Thank you. It’s definitely hard to make a language up, as you need to set grammatical rules and make it ear catching to hear.

2 Likes

So um; what’s the language? All I’m seeing are grammar rules and school stuff. Maybe post the language first instead of a grammar lesson; maybe write a bit in your language.

Perhaps because grammar is a key building block of language, and without it all you’re doing is creating a glorified code.

1 Like

This was my first real attempt at making a constructed language or conlang. So it definitely has it’s cringe.

Evidently I did write a bit in this language, although the one I presented here isn’t exactly what I have now, since I did a lot of work on it.

In Common Tongue:

Rewa, rewa aetvehaluoc?
Helago
Rewa, rewa aetpe’fodoc?
Naital
Rewa, rewa aetcauoc hakgul?
Raijul
Rewa, rewa aetlervalkoc o’fra o’ii cala?
Kleha
Me, me aetperakoc o’fra o’ii cala?
O’ii wetalyas
Vau, vau ycwekyor o’ii pelus o’ii galahf?
Fepel vau
Aehne, aehne aetcauyero krel?
Aetcauyero zhe stelnyas grel cauyero zhe haun
Me, me aetcaukas o’ii falar?
Zhe drii

In English:

When will we live?
Tomorrow
When will we die?
Yesteryear
When is our awakening?
Today
When will we fight for our love?
Now
What will we sacrifice for our love?
Our bodies
Can our enemy take our souls?
No one can
Who were we?
We were the swords and the fire
What is our goal?
The End

Perhaps not the best thing I written but that exists.

1 Like