Appreciate the ones you love

Just want to get serious for a minute. My 91 year old grandma whom I recently lost to illness was my best friend. I miss her every day. If you’re reading this, take some time to tell a special person how much they mean to you today.

20 Likes

Sorry for that…
I never heard of such a friendship with grandparents

1 Like

I’m so sorry for your loss.

I can very well sympathize with you. Sincere condolences to you and your family. I lost my grandma 3 years ago and ever since my life has became a tranwreck. I couldn’t get over to the grief. I tried many things but I’m not one of the “Le it go, Move on” culture, never was… I stil feel like a huge part of me is missing ever since… and no matter what I tried to ease my my sorrow… it didn’t go away… it turned into anger, blaming myself, blaming thr world, everyone… I almost lost my mind over the bad thoughts that still haunts me this very day… but at the end I realised there is no point of it, I couldn’t make changes this way and its not what she would want me to do neither… so I’m just here, all depressed with no clue what to do anymore. And I lost my infatuation over many things that I used to love before but now… nothing can really cheer me up for a long and valid period of time. But I never lost my faith that one day I will see her again.

I’m not this because I’d warn you to expect these or anything, No! I hope you can find inner peace and with your family you will support each others in these hard times. Find a new ways to improve yourself to become better so she will be proud of you. Help others. Try to reconcile with it and have faith that one day you will also see her and she is looking over you from above and guards you. Just as my grandma guard me.

My great-grandpa died… Last year I think. We were not spending that much time together, even tho he was living one block away. I know some cool things about him tho. He was a for er mayor of my hometown.

I was going to say something like my local record store owner but the sincerity in the thread has motivated me to say something else

My uncle is an amazing guy who’s made some mistakes and has had some struggles with stuff but he owns up to it and is a great influence.

Very recently I lost both my grandmothers, one to dementia and the other to cancer.

It was particularly hard to watch my one grandmother go through her cancer. Every day we would see her she would be thinner and weaker, and it was sad to watch her go. I loved her very much, and I’m thankful I had a chance to tell her before she passed.

My other grandmother I hadn’t had a real conversation with since I was young, maybe since I was 13 or 14. For the past 5 years or so she hadn’t remembered anyone, and towards the end for her she couldn’t speak (if she did, it was in her native Spanish), couldn’t eat, she couldn’t walk on her own, and she risked falling out of bed every day. It was even harder on my grandfather, who’s such an amazing man. He struggled through all of it, watching the woman he loved slowly forget who he was, and although it was hard on him and at times he didn’t understand, he stuck through all of it.

Both of these passings happened within a few months of each other. They were very hard weeks for my entire family, on both sides.

I’m saddened now, because I only have my one grandfather left. I know the day is going to come where I’ll lose him too, but I’m determined to make the best of the time I have left with him and let him know how much I love him. I only ever get to see him a week or so a year, but I’m going to make each one have left matter.

And it’s not just grandparents. Anyone in your life can come and be gone in an instant. Don’t waste time, and don’t take anyone for granted.

3 Likes