Arcana: the downfall

Tortwig bounced on the balls of her feet and pulled out some scrap metal and wires. She set Duo on the table and began to repair the small droid. “Are you kidding? This is the best thing that’s happened to me in this trip! All it needs is a paint job, and some touching up.”
She pulled out a section of damaged wires and clipped the bad parts off, then stored the useful parts away.

“why not ask?”

“You were hurt. I had to do something. But uh, you’re welcome. I’m happy to help.”

Melissa came running in, excited as could be.

“Dad! Dad! I want to ask you something!”
She said.

“Of course. What is it?”
Edward replied.

“Can we please keep the little hydra? He’s so cute and adorable and he really likes me. Please!”
She pleaded.

“Well the thing is I never made this place with pets in mind, and even if I did they’re a lot of responsibility.”
Edward looked to Melissa and her sad pleading eyes. Eyes that he couldn’t bring himself to deny.

“But… If you make sure to take care of him, I suppose there’s no harm in keeping him.”
Edward relented.

“Yay! Thank you!”
She shouted, and gave Edward a tight hug. She then ran back to her new companion.

“Looks like I’m making lots of people happy today.”
Edward said.

Said companion was still nested on her shoulder

1 Like

In which case she ran back to the dining room, quite happy.

“Alright. You need a name. Or maybe three names? One for each head. I know! I’ll call you Henry, you Herald, and you Howard.”
She said, giving each head its own name.

1 Like

The three cooed

Tortwig smiled. She finished her repairs on Duo. “Hope this works.” She powered him on. The small droid rose into the air with a whir. He faced Tortwig and gave a happy beep. Tortwig laughed. “Good to see you, too.”
Duo flew around his creator in a circle, and shot out some confetti.
Frostvin walked in. “Hey, Edward. Do you have any tea?”

1 Like

“Yeah. There’s a cabinet in my dining room. There should be some tea there.”
He replied.

Edward then looked to Tortwig.
“So what do you plan on doing when we leave here?”
He asked.

Frostvin nodded and went to make himself some tea.

Tortwig shrugged. “I was kinda hoping to tag along with you guys. It sounds like you’ll need all then help you can get.”

“You don’t have to. It’ll be dangerous. We were picked by Lux himself. I’d hate to see you get hurt for something you don’t have to be a part of.”

“Yeah, but I just have a feeling… This whole thing? adventuring, hanging out with you guys… It feels right! Like it is what I am meant to do.”

“But what if something happens? This isn’t your fight. You already got hurt because of us, what if something worse happens?”

Tortwig said nothing at that.
She opened her mouth, closed it, and then said, “Why are you so concerned? You haven’t shown this level not concern for anybody else so far.”

“I don’t know… A lot of things have happened to me on this trip. I used to be so cold and unfeeling and alone. Now I have a kid, I’m part of a family. Things are different. And you… You listened to my ideas and beliefs and actually agreed with me. You’re such a kind person who could do a lot of good. I don’t want to see you get hurt when you really don’t have to…”

Tortwig listened thoughtfully. “That man… He was strong. Stronger than me. Not a great first example of what I can do besides experimenting. But believe me-” she looked Edward in the eyes. “I can handle myself.”

Edward sighed and looked to her.
“Alright. Fine. Just please be careful.”

“Will do!” She said cheerfully. “DId Melissa say something about a hydra?”

“Yeah. She wants to keep the the thing as a pet.”

Tortwig smiled. “That’s adorable.” She walked over to Melissa and the Hydra. "Does it have a name? " She asked the child.

“Yep. I named each head. This one is Herald, this one is Howard, and this one is Henry.”
She said, pointing to each head as she listed the names.