Arcana: the downfall

Down two halls, and past the dinging room, was the entrance to the forge. A thin metal catwalk extended through a massive cavern. Above and below them were conveyor belta that crossed every which way, moved by chains. Above them were two titanic metal hammers that crashed together with an even heavy beat. Far below was a flowing river of hot lava. Unseen machinery crashed and clanged in the distance. The whole cavern rang with crashing rhythm. A symphony of invention.

Tortwig breathed in the air. “I love it.” She said. “Is it all automatic?”

“Yep. It’s all momentum based, so if the generator goes dark it keeps running. This is also how my lab keeps warm, and I even cook my breakfast here.”

Tortwig laughed. “This is amazing!” She walked down the catwalk. “Do you ever use moulds?”

“For some of the more elaborate parts yes.”

Repair and working class automatons could be seen scuttling all over the walls. Each one had oven mitts on their little claw hands.

Tortwig nodded. “What about scrap metal? Do you melt that down to be reused?”

“Yep. All I have to do is throw it down into the flow down there and it makes its way into the system.”

“Amazing.” Tortwig said. “Where do the finished metal parts go?”

“The conveyor belts move them to a supply room where more automatons sort them.”

Tortwig watched the small robots scuttle about. “How much time have you spent here? You’ve done so much! It’s amazing.”

“I’ve lived here most my life actually.”

Tortwig blinked. “What? Really? That’s…” She trailed off. “Kinda horrible.” She said.

Frostvin finished his tea. “Oliver,” he said, “Nordum’s closed itself off, right?”

“Its fine. My automatons keep me company. Them and Pian Ya.”

“The goddess of knowledge.” Tortwig says. “Was that who you were talking to? Back at the ruins?”

“yeah, why?”

“Do you think they’re causing the downfall in some way?”

“I hope not…”

“Yeah…”

“Yeah. See, my parents died when I was a kid, and because of my cybernetics, no orphanage in Nordum would take me in. Pian Ya however took a liking to me, and took care of me. She’s like a big sister.”

“That’s good.” Tortwig said. “I’m glad. I don’t think you’d be, well, you if that didn’t happen.”