Arcana: the downfall

“you’ve had what, five?”

“Where you not there when I looked an Elder Dragon in the face and told it off? It almost ate me!”

“you would have been fine regardless.”

“What makes you think that? The only thing keeping her from making me a late night snack was that fancy sword.”

He just shrugged, pulling ahead

"Don’t you shrug at me. I could have died!’
Alpha walked up next to him and said something through a series of clicks and low whines.

“Oh yeah. Forgot about him.”
Edward said, remembering that someone actually did die that same day.

“But we were fine.” Saras answers. “You were fine. No sense dawdling on the what ifs of that situation. Instead, we should look ahead.” Saras says, almost as if half to himself as well.

“Alright. I see your point. No reason to draw on the past. When I looked death itself in the face, fearless and unblinking. Nothing of significance really, so why even bother talking about it.”
Edward said, with every last ounce of passive aggressive sarcasm at his disposal.

“Sounded to me like you were trying to find something to complain about instead of focusing on the good it brought.” Saras replied passively. “I could have died.” He repeats in a voice that had an almost mocking tone to it.

“All I’m saying is that a little more respect would be appreciated.”

“I think you were awesome dad.”
Said Melissa.

“Thank you.”
Edward replied.

1 Like

Tortwig looked at Edward and Saras. “Why fight? The Dragon did not kill us. We should not compare our victories with others.” She pointed out.

“My point is that I risked my own life to protect another. I think someone like that should earn me a little more respect.”

Oliver kept driving the cart westward

“It should.” Saras agrees. “But that doesn’t give you room to complain about it. Especially when you go from complaining to asking for praise in a matter of seconds.”

As they continued down the road they met a crossways into a more popular trade route used by Winterfall to keep tabs on Nordum’s border

2 Likes

Tortwig continued walking, as did Frostvin.

Saras peers down the road. “What’s that?” He asks, pointing to what seems to be a crashed cart with a few people around it, but it was hard to distinguish what they were doing.

Tortwig said something, and Duo buzzed closer to the wreck with a beep.

They’d see that most of the people were fighting a single person, who wielded what seemed to be a sword similar to either a katana or a wakizashi, and he seemed to be winning.

Saras kept watching, curious.

Duo returned with a beep, explaining the situation.
Tortwig explained, “they’re fighting.”