Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Korra Discussion Topic

So I was on Tumblr and I stumbled upon this little idea.

If this actually happens, I will be ten times more excited for this new series than I already am.

EDIT:

So I looked into it a bit more, and I feel a lot of people are split on this.

A lot of people are excited for the revival of the franchise and the promise of a racially diverse cast.

On the other hand, I’ve seen three major complaints pop up.

One: Avatar was as close as a show can possibly get to perfect, so there’s no real point in rebooting it. It’ll only be retreading old ground.

Two: Its yet another live action adaptation of a beloved cartoon. The only reason it isn’t animated is to appeal to people who have little to no respect for the animation industry. Its for the kind of people who wouldn’t ever normally give Avatar a chance because “all cartoons are for kids”

Three: Its a reboot and not something new. People are tired of constantly seeing reboots of older properties, as apposed to new shows and new ideas.

Now for that last one, I do have something to say. A lot of people are asking “Why reboot something that was perfect instead of making a new show in the Avatar universe, and expand the story?”
Well look at it this way. What happened the last time they did that? Now I haven’t really seen Legend of Korra, but from what I can tell, it was sub par in many places, especially compared to the original Avatar. More than that, (and again I could be wrong here) Korra was met with a great deal of push back and negativity.

They tried making something new, and the fans didn’t like it. So it would be better to play it safe and stick to the original.

Do I agree with this mind set? Not entirely. But I do understand it.

1 Like

I absolutely agree with this, 100%. That said, there are many characters in the series who were not as well-developed. A remake could allow a chance to explore some characters who didn’t get as much exploration. Suki, for example, is the least developed member of the team at the end of the series.

on another note, I found out that this is a thing.

After North and South, I thought they were done with the comics set in Aang’s time, but apparently a new graphic novel trilogy is coming. This makes me very happy.

~W12~

3 Likes

That’s true, but on the other hand, do characters like Suki really need to be developed? She’s a secondary character who fulfills her role just fine. Film/tv is a medium with harsh time limits; every second you give to one character comes at the expense of another. Now, a live-action series could possibly have a few more well-developed characters than the original series did due to longer episodes, and that would be a nice thing to see in an adaptation. But it seems like a small benefit compared to the cons.

I agree that additional character development will be difficult. As I said, this show is already walking a very tight line…I’m not sure where the barrier between good and bad even is, which provides the great portion of my hesitance.

Still, I’d rather be cautiously optimistic, if only because the creators are heavily involved. The whole “vision” angle does have shades of Lucas, yes, but I think Mike and Bryan have already proven that they aren’t like Lucas in terms of returning to their world, as they’ve given their universe a lot of breathing room via TLOK and the various comics, which makes this leap seem more premeditated, and thus more sensible.

Oh, and the Tumblr post from @MaxinePrimal is dead-on…if the Rock does not play the Boulder, I will riot in the streets. I’d rather they cut that character altogether than have it played by someone other than him.

Speaking of casting, perhaps we can make this discussion even more interesting by sharing our ideal cast? Who would you guys like to see bring our old friends to life?

2 Likes

If the Rock gets to be The Boulder I’m down for it I guess.

2 Likes

I’m incredibly intrigued by this show, and a little excited. I’m just kind of skeptical. Bryke working on it is a plus, though.

I really hope this is sarcasm

I hope it’s not as much “kiddie violence”. That’s why I can’t stand the how to train your dragon shows. You can be violent without being TV-MA. I hope it’s TV-PG tbh

It’ll probably be TV-PG to TV-14. TV-MA would be a bit much.

Nice. This’ll be interesting

Sure.

Shows like Voltron: Legendary Defender or The Journey to One are TV-Y7. A Series of Unfortunate Events is TV-PG. Shows like Stranger Things and Unbreakable Kimmy ■■■■■■■ are TV-14. And shows like Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and The Defenders are TV-MA.

Had an awkward moment where I forgot what boards I was on and got surprised that someone mentioned Journey to One.
Aaanyway, I’d hope for a soft TV-14 or TV-PG.

2 Likes

This topic is dead lol but imma revive it

I gave this show a rewatch and finished about 2 weeks ago. It’s been years since I last watched the show. This was undoubtedly my favorite show ever as a kid, and this rewatch seemed to make sure it was still my favorite show. Maybe it was very much a nostalgia trip, but I actually found myself getting hyped at scenes that I already knew were coming, and even quite emotional at times. It almost felt like a new experience to me. I think I saw progression of each character in a new light this time. I was left satisfied like I expected to be, yet I couldn’t stop thinking about the show since. I could go into further detail but I don’t want to write an essay here right now haha

Anyways, if you haven’t watched this show in a while, please do so again because I’d say it’s even better watching it when older.

5 Likes

anyone think now would be perfect for lego avatar? lloyd swords and oni mask for the blue spirit, increasingly specialized pieces (including hairpieces), eastern aesthetics, the netflix revival…

3 Likes

You’re spot-on. We’ve got tons all these new asian-inspired pieces with Ninjago and (and maybe the Monkey King sets, I haven’t gotten a good look at those yet). I’ve made several custom ATLA minifigs over the years; I should probably post them sometime.

1 Like

The old Lego Avatar sets were a bit weird (I think they only made 2 sets IIRC). But I think they could pull it off now. Especially if they’ll be remaking it.

As for opinions on the remake I kind of wish they just wouldn’t do that, but the original show is still around, so shrugs

4 Likes

I finally got around to watching both shows this year. While Avatar is far superior, Korra certainly had it’s moments. Last Air Bender is currently in my list of favorite shows of all time, right up there with Daredevil, Gravity Falls, and Arrested Development.

@Mistah_Grammaticul, I second your move for Lego Avatar. Though, from what I’ve seen, the old Fire Nation ship still holds up pretty well (though it should’ve included Iroh, since he’s the best character).

3 Likes

New Updates:

In a stunning move, the creators of Avatar: The Last Airender have exited the production of the planned Netflix live-action reboot, citing decisions on Netflix’s part that they believe no longer honor their vision for the series.

This is very frustrating news as a fan of Avatar, who was already burned by one failed, unnamed, live-action adaptation. It seems corporatism has reared its ugly head on this one…

4 Likes

AtLA is one of my favorite shows of all time. I love the characters, the story, the comedy, music and the artstyle! The comics are also a great continuation of the story.

What’s your favorite book in AtLA? I think I like 3 the most, but book two is a close second

• Book 1: Water
  • Book 2: Earth
  • Book 3: Fire

0 voters

What about your favorite Korra book? I liked book 3

• Book 1: Air
  • Book 2: Spirits
  • Book 3: Change
  • Book 4: Balance

0 voters

2 Likes

I haven’t watched Korra and I don’t intend to.

Although I am rewatching ATLA with my siblings, who haven’t see it.

As far as favorite books, the problem is that it got better over time as their budget went up, so it’s hard to compare the first book with the second or third one.

Although tbh there were some pretty bad episodes in the third book.

3 Likes

I think TLOK is definitely worth a watch if you havent gotten around to it

1 Like