-Lime Pieces
-Cheaper plastic as the series ran
-Less function and playability as the years went on
-Bonkle Wars: Attack of the Clone sets
-Manas Crab’s battery eating
-No super awesome fricken’ robot dinosaurs of death and destruction
-The Fandom

4 Likes

Ya that was talked about in a podcast, and I believe it’s only romantic love isn’t cannon. Brotherly and platonic love is, just not romantic if I remember correctly.

7 Likes

Any kind of love not being canon, which is just dumb and was contradicted in many occasions to disprove the retcon in the first place.

4 Likes

The online serials. I only read them a few days ago.

1 Like

Nope.

I like 2005.

4 Likes

What’s so bad about '05? It happens to be one of my favorite years. Also, as for a bad thing, the Vaki. They would have been far better as actual characters, instead of borring old horde drones.

1 Like

'05 was nice set-wise, I think. The Hordika made a good job of being Toa but different, and the Visorak were pretty interesting sets that kind of recalled '01 by being rahi and '02’s Bohrok by their swarm implications. The Titans were meh, but honestly so were most titans before Brutaka came along and showed everyone how it was done. The issue, I think, is one of continuity; the entirety of '05’s story can be summed up as “oh, and this happened too, somewhere along the way,” which is rather jarring to the story line as a whole, like a shoe-in retcon just to make the sets work. '05 did raise some interesting questions along the hero-beast struggle of the Hordika, and I think it could have made a good story in isolation, but it did not comfortably fit itself into the already pre-existing material.

3 Likes

I dont like bara magna
its course, and rough

and it gets everywhere

16 Likes

I think the Vahki work better as a faceless horde. One of the main motifs of 2004 was the Orwellian dystopia that Metru Nui had become. I think having the law enforcers be cold, calculating machines with no personality fits better with that than villains who were distinct individuals would.

7 Likes

The problem was, outside of the vaki animations, '04 never really gave off that vibe to me. It seem If it had, I wouldn’t have this complaint. Although, I didn’t mean to give each vaki an individual personality, I meant to replace them all together.

3 Likes

#BECAUSE IT NEVER HAPPENED

Then why are you here?

7 Likes

Well then, let me convince you otherwise. :stuck_out_tongue: The first example that came to mind for me actually wasn’t the Vahki animations, but the giant poster of Turaga Dume that Matau smacks into the first time he tries to fly in LoMN. It’s highly reminiscent of “Big Brother” propaganda from 1984. Dume using the Matoran’s trust in him to get them to go in the sleep pods also seems in-line with something that would happen in an Orwellian dystopia. (Typically, common citizens in those stories implicitly trust the Big Brother figure and will do or believe anything he says no matter how obviously wrong of false it is.)

As for the Vahki themselves, they were portrayed as a brutal and oppressive force consistently throughout Bionicle media. Just reading the following quotes from the BS01 Vahki page gives the impression that they employed disproportionate punishments and had little accountability for their actions:

“I asked a Vahki something once. I spent the next month scrubbing molten protodermis feeder tubes… with my mask.”
— Vakama, Disks of Danger

“Vahki don’t knock. They smash doors down. And they keep smashing them down until they find the one you’re hiding behind.”
— Nuju, Mystery of Metru Nui

This is completely in line with the way police behave in 1984 and similar stories. (One of my favorite examples is from the movie Brazil, where the police arrest and kill a man over a minor infraction he didn’t commit–they only thought it was him because of a typographical error.)

Lastly, the elite Vahki (Kranua and Kraahu) were likened in Maze of Shadows to smashing an insect with a boulder, i.e., they were excessively powerful and were used more for intimidation than any practical purpose. That’s the kind of tactic you’d expect to see in a creepy dictatorship, not a paradise like Metru Nui was supposed to be on the surface.

9 Likes

BIONICLE G1 was perfect in every way, unlike Ninjago, Chima, Nexo Knights, and Bionicle G2 which are all abominations and anyone who likes them should feel bad for liking them.

This is the biggest nitpick ever, but I want to say something that no one else has said yet

The Southern Islands were super underutilized.

Like, we were just told: “they’re uninhabitable, m’kay?”

and that was it.

At least we’re told that there’s things going on at the Northern Continent, even if we don’t get to see/experience it

13 Likes

it’s weird but I kind of agree

I thought they was gonna be some big mystery and we’d find crazy creatures there

but nope

4 Likes

I agree, but at the same time, I kinda like it when there’s part of the map that says “here there be dragons!” A little mystery and room for speculation can do wonders for a setting, especially one that got as thoroughly-explained as Bionicle.

5 Likes

It’d be one thing if there were dragons there

but instead, from what I remember, we were led to believe they were just lots of nothing.

5 Likes

I don’t know about that. Iirc, both Axonn and Brutaka (maybe also the Tahtorahk?) originally came from that region, hinting that things there were pretty crazy.

4 Likes

looking again at BS01, the Southern Islands held the Primordial Pool, as well as Botar’s home

so yeah

I’ll concede this point to you, good sir.

6 Likes

AHEM

You were sayin’?

10 Likes

Gahdok’s hands are built back the front -_- (dinosaurs(?) of destruction, no death :wink: )