Bad Things in G1

Not as bad as the unrecognizable 2008 Hau

2 Likes

Or pretty much all the 08 masks. Itā€™s like they hired new designers that never even bothered to look at the previous incarnations.

3 Likes

Probably every original, classic plot-point from 2001 blown out of the water in 2008. (Everything is in a giant robot? SERIOUSLY?!)

I know, but thatā€™s not why I (if anybody at all) was led to believe in the beginning.

1 Like

my thoughts exactly.

Well I mean, the giant robot was the plan the whole timeā€¦

You may want to play MNOG and read some of the stuff, there are subtle hints, that were then dropped after 2001.

Edited for Double Post.
~Chronicler

2 Likes

The resemblance is the red eyes! XD JK :smirk:

As the story went on, they kept on making excuses not to wake up Mata Nui.

1 Like

And Jaller gave Macku his sword to cut it off.

And Jaller gave his sword to Macku to cut his hand off. He doesnā€™t want him to touch Hahli anymore, serves as a lesson. Oh wait LOVE IS NON-CANON!

Edited for Double Post - Waj

1 Like

[quote=ā€œSpeisCheese, post:151, topic:19101, full:trueā€]
And Jaller gave Macku his sword to cut it off.

And Jaller gave his sword to Macku to cut his hand off. He doesnā€™t want him to touch Hahli anymore, serves as a lesson. Oh wait LOVE IS NON-CANON!

Edited for Double Post - Waj
[/quote]I donā€™t remember that part?

1 Like

Neither do I?

Itā€™s called taking a joke way too far.

3 Likes

If you guys say anything bad about 2006 and itā€™s 3dgy glory, I will end you.

2 Likes

but thatā€™s THE PROBLEM WiTH 2006, ITā€™s JUsT Too 3DgY 4 mE. WorST YaR of BONklE EveR

2 Likes

I am now triggered.

2 Likes

addendum: the fans. jesus christ, I love this comunity in some aspects, but this whole divide over gen 1 and 2 is stupid. yes, gen 2 was debatable in quality, but can we stop saying the original was better? it really wasnt too much at the base story. the expanded stuff did make it better, but that happened much later into the lines lifespan (the first book was released in 03). gen 2 never got its chance. leave it alone. it want too bad, and, honestly, the sets where actually better than any of the old ones on a technical standpoint.

beyond that, the way the franchise is considered holy when there are so many flaws, the way that every community member is stuck in the early 2000s, the biotube war back when that happened, our tendencies to get butt-hurt over the tiniest thing, and also the fact that the community at large defends the first three movies and rejects legend reborn. they are of equally poor Quality at best, and at worst, Legend reborn is actually BETTER than 1, 2 and 3.

(this is gonna get me kicked from the boards, isnā€™t it.)

3 Likes

Chain link fences in the rainā€¦

1 Like

The red star. It was so interresting before 2010. I freaking HATE it when people get resurrected in stories. It makes death seem so meaningless.

I also heavily dislike the inika build and the increasingly boring collectibles of the later years.

1 Like

I really dislike the Inika build but not for the reason most people hate it

I hate it because imho that was the main cause of Bionicleā€™s cancellation. While the bloated storyline had a major factor in G1ā€™s demise, I legitimately believe that Bionicleā€™s main sale was imaginative toys, that even if one does not follow the story they can at least enjoy the unique function and form of the figures. 2006 onward began the phasing out of what made Bionicle sets so imaginative and by 2008 had a homogenized flavor that ruined what made the 2001-2005 sets unique. If kids in 2003 disliked the Bohrok-Kal sets for being the same toys as they bought last year albeit with more silver paint apps, imagine how they felt 5 years afterwards once any and all pretense of creativity in the figure builds had dried up. Kids really do like toys that stand out from their rest and while they may have been okay with buying the 2006-2007 sets despite some reused assets, they probably knew by 2008 that they were paying for waves of a toy that they pretty much have already and wasnā€™t worth it. The fragile plastic of later years didnā€™t help either.

If there is anything else I can say I dislike? Well thereā€™s three things.

1. The plot of G1 should have ended in 2008 and not have had the ending where Makuta overthrew Mata Nui. However I do think that as much as 2009 was a terrible year that the finale in 2010 more than made up for the ending of 2008 in a satisfying way. Buuuutttttā€¦
  2. 2011 was an absolute mistake. It took the happy ending the heroes earned in 2010 and rewritten it to continue a pointless plot with a plethora of new one note characters with no personality that never got or ever will be completed. My headcanon is that the story ends at the Journeyā€™s End book and nothing more need be done.
  3. Why did characters with relevance to the plot such as Artahka and Tuyet not get toys but characters that have no long term impact on the overall story such as the 2007 Matoran and Mini Rahi (sans Deflaik), Lesovikk, Nocturn and many of the 2009 vehicle pilots have toys

thatā€™s it really

I agree that objectively speaking the movies are all bad in terms of quality. The problem is that because most Bionicle fans wear rose colored goggles on the subject of the first 3 movies being the holy trinity and The Legend Reborn defiling the franchise, they refuse to acknowledge the first 3 films share all the problems TLR had and will gloss over itā€™s flaws over and still say the films were a childhood halcyon and not a trilogy of cheap 72 minute DTV kid vids made to sell Danish action figures.

I personally enjoy all 4 movies, but I wonā€™t deny that they are not good in quality. Itā€™s just that I find enjoyment from bad movies (or so bad itā€™s good at least) and can find admirable qualities they tried to do. Besides can any fan of the first 3 films unironically defend dialogue like ā€œI CANā€™T JUST CHANGEā€, ā€œCUZ DATā€™S WUT FRIENDZ DEWā€ and ā€œAND YOU MIGHT HAVE[Lost us] IF IT WERENā€™T FOR OUR ICY FRIENDā€ as pinnacles of childrenā€™s movie writing over lines like ā€œDID HE REALLY THINK HE COULD BRING DOWN THE MIGHTY TUMA?!?!?ā€
Edited for Double Posting- W plumberz

1 Like

The Red Star REVIVING THE DEAD.