Best Of LEGO Bootlegs

https://i.imgur.com/pOp61So.png

While this is from another brand, the molding preview from the box looks way too identical.

8 Likes

yeah- lego plastic is much more durable, compared to things like Polystyrene.

1 Like

more pics?

1 Like

The side doesn’t offer much and the back reuses the front artwork without the frames. (this is the only image I took sorry)

1 Like

Are bootlegs making bootlegs of other bootlegs?

5 Likes

####BOOTLEGCEPTION

2 Likes

Sharing also implies that they actually asked to borrow whatever it is they are using. Which they don’t do, whether out of malice or ignorance, which is why people have issue with it.

2 Likes

Fair point. But at the end of the day it is we consumers who benefit from it. So why not appreciate those benefits and indulge in them? It makes no sense to forbid yourself from enjoying a product just because you think Lego Corp. is being slighted. Trust me, Lego is not losing profit because 50 or so people are ordering bootlegs from AliExpress.

1 Like

True, though the Chinese variants do tend to be of a lower quality(unless that has recently changed) in terms of plastic, and the whole paint issue that people had with Chinese manufactured items a while back.

2 Likes

Posable Big Fig Hulk Buster. (from DECOOL, cause The Cool was taken).

SWAT team and Bombers figures (including matching decapitated minifigure head, like wut)

These are the sets that were removed from Singapore, and I can see why. Speaking of removed sets…

Who can forget Military Charlie Chaplin figure.
http://i.imgur.com/hpKZWRx.jpg

Oh China…

But these Transformer minifigures look actually pretty good. Do want some of them cause of the helmets.

Guys there is a Transformers Bootleg that has a head print design similar to the G3 Brickonicle head designs…so weird. Actually a lot of them look like they come from G3 Brickonicle. @exxtrooper you gotta see this second video, you are the main guy that makes physical Brickonicle figures so this may help.

Long post, here is a Rainbow Batman bootleg.

10 Likes

Except when it suddenly not a building system that’s being copied. Except when it’s suddenly your very specific structure or character created out of these pieces which you filed individual patents for, which is being sold to more than a measly 50 people. Except when, after all the hard work you put into securing your product, other people are using your designs and your concepts to make money off of something so incredibly inferior to your product that’s it’s almost an insult.

And it hasn’t found a resting place there. Bootleg companies use the designs and material the fans put out and make money off of them. I’m not good enough of a builder to have my intellectual property stolen, but if I was, I would be infuriated. That would be something I put my time and energy into, and they stole it without a second thought to the consequences.

You may consider yourself a consumer, but I’m a MOCist. I don’t like my stuff being stolen, in any shape, or any form. And I highly doubt LEGO does either.

8 Likes

Yeah, they are. They literally are. This is not a subjective assessment. They are always losing profit if another low-life, bottom-feeding company is copying their exact designs and selling them. Even if it’s only to one or two people, it’s deeply hurting TLG.

See, even if it isn’t a direct hit on consumer purchases, it is a direct hit on consumer faith and confidence. TLG can’t afford to be seen as a company that lets people rip off their hard-earned work - and that of their fans.

5 Likes

HITLER IS IN LEGO!!!

2 Likes

No, we got to be PC, its Millitary Charlie Chaplin.

9 Likes

I find it amusing that Movie Optimus has animated Optimus’ torso.

3 Likes

I’m actually a pretty prolific MOCist myself. And I would be flattered and ecstatic if a bootleg company took one of my MOCs and mass produced it as a figure. Are you kidding me, that would be beyond amazing! Why would that bother you? It’s not like you’re going to sell the IP or otherwise profit from it. Wouldn’t you feel gratified that other people would get to play with a toy based on your idea? That would be the greatest thing ever, imo.

3 Likes

Here’s the thing, man. I can respect your opinion; however, I sure as heck wouldn’t feel the same way. I’d be insulted that a bootleg company recognized any of my work, assumning that I took note in the first place. These “companies” aren’t producing quality content - they’re simply looking for the next flash in the pan. It’s rare to see the two coincide.

2 Likes

Some of them are producing quality content though. Those CCBS sets with the hands are freakin’ awesome. Here’s an example of a quality looking set.

But on the other hand, we also see rubbish like this.

But aren’t you glad that you have more choices? Having more choices is always better. As a discerning consumer, you can choose not to purchase the bootlegs. Obviously Lego’s quality is higher. Hence the price is much higher than the bootlegs. Isn’t that exactly how free markets are supposed to work?

1 Like

Assuming that they’re copying the building system and only the building system, yeah. That can’t be protected under copryight - and for good reason, as it’s just a means of creative application. When these companies begin to copy anything else, likem fanart or proprietary character names, we get into trouble.

3 Likes

A friendly reminder that political discussion isn’t allowed on the Boards. There are plenty of venues to share your ideological opinions. This isn’t one of them. Keep the discussion about the bootlegs, thank you.

17 Likes