Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui

I just found out that Michael Dobson (aka the guy that voices Lhikan) also voices Pythor in Ninjago. I know that it doesn’t really have much to do with Legends of Metru Nui, but I thought I should mention it.

2 Likes

I do enjoy the part where Kongu is hung by his feet, his life threatened and ordered to reverse the flow.
“B-But the entire system might explode if I reverse the flow!”

4 Likes

It gets even more enjoyable when you go through the books and comics reading every line of Kongu Dialogue in that voice.

8 Likes

I’m now thinking of him summoning a deep sea monster in that voice

5 Likes

I just started reading the book, so far all I’ve gotten to is Lhikan giving the stones to all the (Soon to be) Toa.
I’ve seen the movie, so I know what happens and stuff, but I think the book will be even better.

2 Likes

Eh, the book are pretty hit and miss IMO. I find the LoMN novelization to be one of the weaker ones.

3 Likes

Definitely the best of the three, though there were a few plot holes such as why Teridax would need the mask of time if he would already be ruler (having put Mata Nui to sleep and all). But nevertheless, some of the visual effects were good, the voice acting was straight forward and they managed to put a lot of energy into their performances, and the music is outstanding.

3 Likes

He was going to speed up the time it took for the matoran to awaken(?)

2 Likes

He’s a Makuta. Isn’t he, like, immortal? (temporally speaking)

It would’ve taken thousands of years, and he didnt want to wait that long.

1 Like

Makuta’s impatient :stuck_out_tongue:

No. Makuta can be killed, but if you have certain weapons or you kill them with a blast the Mask of Life made.

Hahli Mahri’s weapon can stab through Makuta and injure them.

2 Likes

Well, would you want to wait that long?

1 Like

Nope. Good point.

I wasn’t reffing to that. I was saying that, from what we’ve seen, Makuta have extremely long lifespans. They practically live forever (though I suppose you could say that about most BIONICLE characters).

What I meant to say was, what was the point in locking them up in Matoran spheres and needing to use the mask for speeding time when he already has power over them (considering Mata Nui is asleep)?

There memories would be erased by the time passing, and he would teach them his own laws and virtues.

1 Like

Meh, I guess you have a point.

I know this topic is old.

I recently rewatched Legends of Metru-Nui. I really can’t decide if I like it better than Mask of Light or not. Mask of Light is more focused, but Legends of Metru-Nui has a really awesome atmosphere, and probably the best Nathan Furst Bionicle soundtrack of the three.

Two things I noticed on my rewatch, by the way:

1. Turaga Dume/Makuta’s staff literally has the Kraahkan on top. I never noticed that from my entire childhood up until now.
  2. I noticed a plot hole I never really considered before. Unlike the other many plot holes in the movie, this one is extremely perplexing: when Vakama finds the real Turaga Dume in a Matoran Sphere, he tells Onewa that he doesn’t want to know who’s really in charge of Metru-Nui. But at this point in canon, Terridax hasn’t revealed himself as evil yet.
    Yet, when Turaga Lhikan confronts Makuta a scene later, he acts surprised that Makuta is betraying his duty to protect the Matoran.

So which is it, Bionicle 2? Do the Matoran know Makuta is evil yet, or not??

1 Like

Mmm… what?

Ok, tracking with you so far…

Right…

Yes, the grand reveal.

Ummm… no? Obviously no just by Lihkan’s reaction.

“Oh, the Makuta sworn to protect Metru Nui just put Dume and the population in sleep pods. That’s bad! He’s turned evil!”

I’m not seeing the problem here. That’s the whole point of the scene is that Teridax is unveiling his true self and being the big bad villain we all love to hate him for being. The Toa find the real Dume, they know some evil person must be in control of Metru Nui, so they go to confront the false Turaga. When they get to the Great Colosseum, “Dume” maskceptions himself, revealing himself to be Makuta Teridax. Lihkan realizes that the Makuta sworn to protect Metru Nui has given in to selfish ambitions and turned evil.

Not sure how this is a plot hole, or how it’s confusing you.

The confusion comes from Vakama knowing it’s Makuta. When he sees Dume he thinks back to the false Turaga asking him for the Mask of Time, which morphs into Makuta’s voice.

Vakama then tells Onewa that he doesn’t want to know who’s in charge of Metu-Nui. This wording, combined with the Makuta voice from earlier, implies that Vakama very much knows Makuta is in control and that this is a very bad thing.

That in and of itself isn’t a plot hole. Of course anyone being in control of Metru-Nui other than Dume is a bad thing, but the confusion comes from why Vakama reacts with conviction and certainty instead of how Lihkan reacts: with sheer surprise.

I realize that there may not be a plot hole in actuality, and yes, the movie is pandering to what the fanbase knew at the time (that Makuta is and always was evil), but it’s the wording and the tone that leads me to see it as such.

In summary, Vakama’s reaction is in conflict with the appropriate reaction seen a scene later from a much more credible character.