BIONICLE 2015 Discussion Topic

Same here. He was much bigger in the books and animations. I wish he could have been as big as he really was :frowning:

2 Likes

I completely agree. I would almost prefer it if the toa were smaller than the villains, so there could at least be a decent fight instead of just having the heroes look and feel completely indestructible, while the villains are pathetic pushover.

3 Likes

As everyone knows, many changes were made to the original Toa in Generation 2. Many were met with disapproval and others with acceptance. I can’t say I was the most enthused with some of the alterations made, namely the elimination of the amicable disposition of a once friendly Toa of stone and unique, non-elemental abilities granted by the wearing of masks of power.

One change I actually did not mind was the switching of Lewa’s element from air to jungle. It fit with his colour scheme and the environment of his home region. It seemed like there was some reason and logic behind the decision and therefore was a welcome change to me.

Others didn’t sit with me too well. The change that bothered me the most was probably making the Toa’s masks their primary source of elemental power. I enjoyed the Toa’s mask powers as they added variety to the abilities at the Toa’s disposal and enabled them to overcome the challenges they were faced with in inventive ways. I assume this was done in the name of simplicity to make the BIONICLE universe less cluttered when it comes to powers, but I don’t believe it was really warranted. I see why they chose to do away with some of the terminology like “Kanohi” and “Matoran” as those terms were just fancy words for ordinary sounding things, their meaning simply being “mask” and “villager” and in both cases the two words could be used interchangeably, making their use serve virtually no purpose aside from attempting to make the overall universe sound more distinct and remote from reality than it really is. The only thing disposing of mask powers seemed to do for me was limit what the Toa were capable of. For Instance, It wouldn’t overcomplicate the story if Tahu had shielding as a mask power and his mask was only called “the Mask of Shielding” versus the “Kanohi Hau”, it would jut allow him to do more.

Another revisal that irked me quite a bit was the abandoning of Pohatu’s friendly attitude in favour of a more brooding, serious demeanour. In the first generation, Pohatu was always one the most easygoing of the Toa, eager to get along with the other members of his team and was just an all around approachable person. As a member of the team, his purpose seemed to be very defined as a friend, and a mediator like Gali, offsetting more intense personalities like Tahu and Kopaka with his cordial nature and breaking the tension. This is apparent in Mask of Light when he encourages Tahu and Gali to put their differences aside. In Generation 2, Pohatu is no longer a companion to his fellow Toa, instead an unyielding, courageous warrior. To me this ■■■■■ in character came across as wholly arbitrary, as similar characters like Tahu who fit the part of a headstrong personality are already present on the team.

5 Likes

About the masks, the Unity masks kind of fufill that wish, as they allow the Toa to join with the Creatures to fly, run, swim, and increase elemental powers. Some of them even seem to refrence the old masks. Ketar males Pohatu faster, Akida makes Gali swim longer and faster, Terak gives Onua incredible strength, and Uxar lets Lewa fly (not levitate, but still similar). The elemental power seems to have been retconned so that the elements are part of them, just increased by golden masks. And about Pohatu’s personality, that seems to be done for character development where he’s slowly warming up to the team. If the character keeps growing this way, he’ll probably be alot like G1 Pohatu soon.

3 Likes

Genius. Why keep the old Pohatu personality, when you can have a different character develop into that personality? Far more interesting IMO. Perhaps even supporting the theory that these Toa are predecessors to the G1 Toa

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

ftfy :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

These powers are shown to be used in JtO as well.

Still would like to see more interesting mask powers besides enhanced physical abilities and control over some kind of element like telekinesis, shapeshifting, x-ray vision, and time duplication. I was talking about mask powers after all, not creature-bestowed powers, so your entire argument is irrelevant. And how can we just assume that Pohatu is a dynamic character and will undergo some turn around in character? For all we know he will simply remain as the deathly-serious character we know right now.

Have you watched JtO? Pohatu is shown to be “softening up” throughout it, especially in comparison to the online animations. There have been confirmed masks of speed and strength. Aside from those, let’s list all the masks that have been seen: Mask of Creation, Mask of Control, Mask of Shadows, Mask of Ultimate Power, Mask of Fire, Mask of Water, Mask of Earth, Mask of Ice, Mask of Jungle, Mask of Stone, Fire Unity Mask (Allows flight with Ikir), Water Unity Mask (Allows faster swimming), Stone Unity Mask (Allows incredible speed), Ice Unity Mask (Allows shielding like Hau), Earth Unity Mask (Allows great strength), and the Mask of Time. All Unity Masks also allow peace with godly creatures.

3 Likes

The Unity masks just allow them to use the Elements and Unite with the Creatures. The powers like flight and swimming come with the Unification, not the Masks.

1 Like

The powers granted to the Toa when they unite with the creatures are granted by the creatures, not their masks. Just because their masks allow them to unite does not mean those powers come directly from their masks, the masks of speed and strength were only briefly mentioned and don’t even appear in the story, so they do not affect the main plot and might as well not exist at all, and like I said before I was speaking of the Toa’s mask powers, not powers achieved through unification, so your whole point means nothing, especially taking into consideration that we probably won’t see the creatures again next year, so even if the Toa’s unity powers are all that, chances are they will only have them for the storyline of this year.

Right, just like how the Protectors disappeared after 2015, OH WAIT! They were the main characters in RoSS, where they forshadowed 2016, and they had a minor role in JtO! What about the Skull Creatures? Appeared as minor threats in JtO, and Skull Spiders were shown as common creatures. Oh, and two Skullies are in a vault in the CotMM, with Skull Slicer and LoSS at the bottom of a gorge, allowing for future plot points! By your logic, all side characters are extremely likely to be forgotten after their first year, which makes no sense judging by how many are still hanging around Okoto. So, the creatures, being embodiments of the elements, could possibly do something like becoming one with Okoto, but would most likely be kept around to help out.

1 Like

Except for the part where he decides to save Ketar instead of stopping Umarak, and tells him “I’m sorry. I understand now; I feel it.” (Where “it” presumably refers to the bond between Toa and Creature.)

I’m curious how you forgot about that, since…well, ya’ know, it was the climax of JTO. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I can feel the off-topic growing…

1 Like

Seriously? You have to be joking because if I remember correctly the end of the 2nd episode clearly showed Pohatu’s “redemption”. Anyway this is getting off topic. Maybe we can make a thread to discuss this

1 Like

Yes please, I’m in the mood to debate the misinformed.

Hey guys, let’s NOT go off topic for debates like this. Like, this has nothing to do with 2015. At all.

6 Likes

Random question:

Do we know why Ekimu and Makuta chose the Region of Water as the area to set up the Forge?

I just find it interesting.

They could have set up this city in the middle of Okoto (as originally thought by the fans of G2), making it more convenient for the Mask Makers to retrieve materials of the six elements to create the Masks of Power.

But they chose the Region of Water…why?
Did something happen there in the past that is important to Okotan history?

Thoughts?

EDIT: Do the BOOKS say anything at all? Any clues as to why?

1 Like

See this is where there’s a contradiction between the books and the animations. Ekimu and Makuta would have no reason to make different looking masks, because before the Great Cataclysm, all villagers looked the same, because everything was jungle. There would be no reason for them to wear separate armor, seeing as they’d all be in the same environment.
(Unless we’re considering the different colors of villager different races. That would make some sense)

####However! We do have the graphic novel coming out soon, which promises to be a prequel of sorts! Maybe we’ll learn more from that?

2 Likes