DEBATE: Opinion on Romance in RPs?

I wouldn’t say forced but Bruce and Katrina is definitely better

1 Like

You guys remember all the time skips in one of @Runa’s games? Those were extremely akward. Please note that @Runa weren’t involved with the time skips.

I don’t remember them but like I said I kept it PG-13 and it will be so.

What game was that?

It was one with traveling to different dimensions.

Oh.

Yeah.

That. That was probably my least favorite part of that RP. Between @Axels’ character and someone else’s, if I recall. In the RP titled “The In-Between.”

On my take on romance in RP’s, is it can sometimes be…distracting. More than once I’ve seen an RP get derailed from it’s original idea really quickly to just become “really forced, way too quick to be even partially believable romance simulator 20yearteen.” It can drain the fun out of it for people who aren’t as interested in that aspect of character interaction, and just want their characters to do other stuff in the world.

2 Likes

I legitimately forgot that happened. Thinking back on it, yeah, that was awful.

I’m actually sorry for anyone that had to deal with my old roleplaying. It was awful.

As for my opinion on the topic, I come across a lot of half baked romance on free form rps (ask @LTVmocs, we used to surf through them a lot for fun ), and I’ve seen some absolutely atrocious writing. Most of the time in romance, there’s no build up, no development between the two. It’s a few slight hints and then “bam, these two are in love”. I hate using this word, but it’s downright cringey. Seeing all of this, and using my past experience, I’ve come to the conclusion that romance really can’t be pulled off by anyone new to roleplaying. After several years of it, I still can’t pull it off, and I doubt I’ll ever try again because of how messy it gets, especially in the more plot focused rps.

4 Likes

Regardless of this, it still feels awkward to me, even if I am roleplaying.

1 Like

SCRATCH EVERYTHING I’VE SAID BEFORE!

I was in an rpg and half the posts were just: “Ohh I love you” and they kissed pationately and stuff, it makes the rp feel a bit of a snoozefest, I don’t mind it here and there but there’s such thing as too much

1 Like

You don’t need to scratch everything you said previously

The example you’re using fits under the category of “very very poorly executed romance”

4 Likes

Yeah it does, something tells me you know exactly what RP I’m talking about

3 Likes

Romance can be good, if it’s done well.
If not… it doesn’t really add to the story.

I feel irony and Axels level regrets
@meepinater

1 Like

Was it like John and Yoko when they were together

My thoughts are:
If it’s between the owners of character and the players actually are dating: good if provides story value
Between player and Npc: same as above
Between characters when players aren’t dating: risky. Could actually develop a relationship which would be interesting, but it’d probably just end up really awkward for at least one of the ppl involved.