Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne

Yeah a lot people feel as though he was intended to be an early boss, but due to things getting shuffled around, got put as a later area boss. He is luck, there is a boss named Undead King Jarel that was supposed to be one of the bosses in New Londo, but he got cut from the game, he exists only in the game’s files. Look up Dark Souls cut content, you would be surprised at the stuff that got cut from the game that never made it in, not even as DLC.

DS3 has a lot of cut content, and only one cut armor set was added to the game, and even the DLC has cut content.

Apparently the Bed of Chaos was rushed in the late stages of the game’s production and it didn’t get the proper play testing it should’ve had. If I remember correctly, Miyazaki even apologized for the boss.

1 Like

They ran out of time and money. It happened to all the post Anor Londo areas, Lost Izalith got hit the worst though.

You would be surprised at all the cut content in these games: Demon’s Souls has an entire area plus all the enemies and NPCs in it cut out(the sixth archstone). For the other games(Dark Souls series, haven’t seen anything about Bloodborne’s cut content), there are YouTube videos where people use Cheat Engine to get into the game’s files to show the cut content.

Heck with Dark Souls 3 there are multiple weapons, and armor sets that were cut. And only one cut armor set made it into the last DLC(the DLCs also have a ton of cut content in them as well).

At this point I don’t mind having to run back over and over to finish the boss, it’s more like the sheer amount of times I have to repeat that stupid dash down the middle to get to the last section and accidentally dying because Bed of Chaos decides it’s gonna do a chaos storm and you get hit by fire right after sliding down, or I get unlucky and get swiped just before I jump.

Does anyone know a good Twinkling titanite grinding spot?

I spent a bunch to get a BK halberd to +3 but I need to get a BK greatsword upgraded because it scales much better.

The clams around the Crystal Caves and Ash Lake can drop them, try those.

1 Like

I still haven’t entered finished sen’s fortress.

I am working to get the Black Bow of Pharis so I could take out the Serpent soldiers that love knocking me back into swinging axes before they can get me.

Crystal Caves is attached to Duke’s archives right?

Yep.

try not to get the rest of the game spoiled for you

1 Like

Finished DaSII.

It was… an experience. Although I don’t regret playing it, this game doesn’t seem like a worthy successor to DaS.

These spoilers are here for a reason

[spoiler]And good lord that last fight with Nashandra- it didn’t even kill me the most number of times, but it genuinely made me want to throw my controller out the window. And unfortunately it reflects on the rest of the game- it lacks soul and seems to prioritize challenging gameplay over interesting gameplay (cough cough Iron Keep cough cough). I could go on for hours, but the game still had it’s upsides. I loved Drangleic Castle and the Lost Bastille, among a couple others.

To conclude my ramblings, DaSII is a good game, but needs a lot of refinement and more soul.[/spoiler]

When I was done with everything in dsII I did the final boss and killed her in 5 hits.

That’s what I’m confused about- when I looked up how people felt about her post-victory, I found that people thought she was an incredibly easy boss. But somehow I ended up getting stunlocked like crazy from her combos and dealing zilch damage against her with a +10 UGS at 40 strength. I think it might have something to do with the Giant Souls, but I have no idea.

I beat her I think second try? but the fight was so meh I don’t even remember how it goes

DS2 is an alright game, it was definitely a harder game than Dark Souls 1. I really enjoy Dark Souls 1 and I’m really good mechanically at it; I used to be really at parrying, it’s still really easy to get backstabs, evade things, etc. even playing the game as a level 1 pyromancer.

DS2 nerfed all of this, slower speeds on everything, harder to land backstabs (and you can be hurt during it), very hard to play in the same way as DS1. It was definitely more challenging, but mostly for the sake of being more challenging. I feel like they sacrificed good transitions between areas and other story elements just to make it harder.

Bloodborne and DS3 took a step back in the right direction for combat, I love how DS3 is a good DS1/Bloodborne mix compared to DS2

Well I only was level 235 xD. I had to farm loice souls and got many many levels there. granted it was the first time I played a ds game so my build was complete garbage.

but even so she is pretty easy If you bait her attacks.

I know more than I should about 2 because watching a friend play was what got me into the series.

While playing 1 I found myself seriously wishing could get a bonfire acetic to make areas that I can just smash through harder. Maybe Pinwheel wouldn’t be absolute trash if I could boost him a few NGs up.

Oh. I was level 130-something. And went in with a pure melee build and thought her attacks mostly did dark damage.

Thaaaaaaaat might explain it.

My twinkling titanite problems have been erased by a visit to ash lake and the clams there.

So now I have a +5 BK halberd, +5 BK greatsword, +5 Antiquated set for some very good curse resistance, and a +5 crest shield for magic resistance.

When I get the black iron armor I will return to upgrade that because I plan on making that my main armor after I reach Anor Londo.

I’m trying to figure out how casters are supposed to deal with the two Hydra mini-bosses. If you try to lock on to them it’ll target the body where it will take drastically longer to kill them then attacking the heads with any melee weapon. not tom mention if you don’t kill the heads they can keep shooting at you.

Long overdue edit, I have now beaten DS1, DS2, and am working into DS3.

More edits, I have beaten 3 and now have obtained every steam achievement for 1

First things first: we should rename this topic to “The Souls/Borne series.”

Secondly: Bloodborne.

All of you: get the church pick and max it. Strike damage is so overpowered it is not funny. Ebreitas in the chalice dungeons? Easy. Orphan of Kos? What orphan? all I see is a dead corpse. NPCs? Get a church pick guys. Rom, The Vacuous Spider? More like Rom, the dead spider.

Recently I finally got to Queen Yharnam and beat her. Now all I need to do is get the second ending so I can get the platinum trophy.

Ebreitas is my best friend. We like to spar with each other in the Isz dungeons. Also I like it when I get the tileset in the chalice dungeons with the bridges with the cracks in the roof of the dungeon. It gets my hopes up that I can see what areas like Loran and Isz truly look like.

That cut content though… I like that beach boss arena.

Thirdly: Dark Souls 3

I’v actually grown to hate Dark Souls 3 recently. But hate is a bit of a strong word I will admit. Really I should say that it is my least favorite Souls game. My problems boil down to this: Too much fan service, bull**** NPC fights, and questionable game design. Seriously, Nameless and Friede should be in Bloodborne. And what’s with a bonfire spawning after the Dragonslayer armor fight…but then there is a bonfire about 30 feet away? Seriously? And don’t even get me started on Hodrick and Creighton

Dark Souls 3 is in no way a bad game, but it is my least favorite. And it made me realize how much of a flawed masterpiece Dark Souls 2 is. Give DS2 some credit: at least all of the locations are new (baring 2 or 3 special locations). I am going to be honest: I feel DS2 gets too much hate.

Don’t get me wrong though, the game is still flawed. SOTFS was an overly easy rehash, The durability system was bonkers, some bosses were basically filler, and there are questionable level designs (gee, where have we heard that before?).

This is how I rank the games for me personally

1. Demon’s Souls (personal bias and it was the first souls game I played)
  2. Dark Souls/Bloodborne
  3. Dark Souls/Bloodborne
  4. Dark Souls 2
  5. Dark Souls 3

My tastes change over time and It can take me forever to realize something. This ranking may end up changing or it may not. Obviously it doesn’t dictate the quality of the games.

1 Like

Original DS2 had a never fixed glitch that tied durability drain to current framerate.

SOTFS got rid of it.

Do you remember DS2’s final boss? if you died during that fight you had to walk basically a mile from the nearest bonfire and it was annoying. (in large part due to the lack of enemies to break the monotony)

Having one as close to archives as can be is a real help for walking through.

As for the NPCs even my poorly made sorc could do it with minor practice. and Sorcs are arguably the weakest build imaginable for players or player-like things in DS3. (unless they join a gank squad in that case they are strong merely because they can take advantage of your misery)

I’ve played through vanilla DS2 and SOTFS on PS3 and PS4 respectively. I believe that bug was exclusive to PC, but I could be wrong. Either way, There is a legitmate difference between the durability system of DS2 and the durability systems of DS1 and DS3. I tolerate DS2’s system, but I prefer DS1/DS3’s durability systems.

And my problem with the first Archive bonfire and the Dragonslayer armor bonfire is that one of them does not need to be there. I find it a little odd that you are comparing the last area in DS2 to this as that is a completely different issue. And it’s really not even an issue, just a minor inconvenience. Jumping back to DS3, if you beat the Dragonslayer armor, why would you need a bonfire in the boss room if there is another one within walking distance? That’s my problem with it. One of the bonfires is a redundant bonfire. I understand a bonfire spawning in the boss room after you beat a boss mechanic-wise, but not gameplay-wise in this situation.

And I did not say Creighton and Hodrik are hard, I was implying they are annoying to fight. They way you put your response implies that I am saying they are hard fights (my apologies if I have misinterpreted what you are trying to say). And yes, a sorcerer of any caliber and skill level could cheese these two. My issue with these two is their move sets and AI. Both spam heavy attacks. Hodrick constantly resorts to parrying and his greatsword does a lot of damage. Creighton buffs and spams his charging attack. His weapon also happens to have an element. And both of them like to chug estus. Creighton even downs a blessing for good measure. On top of all this, their AI is pretty aggressive akin to a small boss fight. Quite frankly I consider this poor NPC invader design. Examples of good NPC invader design were the invaders for the crowns DLC from DS2 (barring one or two of them to a degree). They were smarter than your typical NPC invader, but at the same time they still felt beatable. My favorite was Maldron the Assassin who was cunning, but you could still outsmart him.

I usually play a knight or melee-based warrior. I do dabble in other play styles, but I primarily prefer sword and shield. I recognize that some play styles are better suited for some scenarios, but ultimately you should be able to use whatever style you want. Some encounters in DS3 feel like they are forcing me to use another play style against my will which I am not keen on. Hodrick and Creighton are examples of this for me. And to be fair, the entire series has issues with scenarios that force you into certain playstyles, so it’s not just DS3.

Sorry for how long that got and obviously no hard feelings whatsoever. If I misinterpreted anything, please let me know. Also let me know if you have any questions about my logic or reasoning. And I will admit that I probably should have been more clear in some areas. You have my apologies for that.

Many of the redundant bonfires were merely side effects of the DS3 team’s decision to add bonfires as boss “drops”. They’re an oversight which usually aren’t the end of the world, but can break the immersion a bit.

I don’t mind the invaders of DS3, but I do understand where you’re coming from. DS2’s invaders, on the other hand, don’t exactly have that sort of sympathy from me. They often come at the worst possible times and are either stupidly easy or have access to a plethora of powerful abilities you don’t yet which will often result in your own death more times than what could be considered fair cough cough Armorer Dennis.

2 Likes