Do Matoran Bleed?

This is something I’ve wondered about for a while: we know the Matoran have a digestive tract, since they can eat/drink things when necessary; we know they have a brain and nervous system, since they can feel things; breathing was such a big deal in '07 that it’s doubtless they have lungs; and muscles are mentioned quite often in the written stories. However, the one body system we don’t know is the cardio-vascular system. In people, this system pumps blood throughout the body, and is comprised of the heart and veins. Would MU inhabitants (beyond just Matoran) need this function, or would their mechanical parts compensate for this task?

4 Likes

In a somewhat fated twist, I’m looking through an old Greg archive and ran across this the same time I saw this topic:

4 Likes

From the link
“If BIONICLE characters do eat (as I think they do), they do it by directly absorbing energy, not by chewing and swallowing as we do (except in very rare cases). They need energy because they are partially organic, but we do not know whether organic protodermis requires any kind of a circulatory system to function. There is no digestive system as we have, there is no waste. So they wouldn’t need a circulatory system for that.”

From BS01:
“Skakdi are known to chew and ingest their food, choosing to do so over the typical method of absorbing energy, as other inhabitants of the Matoran Universe view this act as repulsive.”

:thinking:

Edit: seriously tho, LJ answered the question, not me :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

They will :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Some random Makuta: If it bleeds, I can shut it down…

Some random Makuta #2: They don’t exactly bleed…

Some random Makuta: Well shoot, time for plan B.

(lol, I felt it was topical)

2 Likes

Good answer based on the functions of their bodies. It’s true we don’t know it necessarily to be true one way or another, though I do think I recall vaguely some instances that might suggest blood in which characters were cut or injured and some unspecified “liquid” leaked out. Though obviously this doesn’t necessarily indicate blood as we know it, it could potentially suggest the presence of some kind of circulatory liquids that run throughout their body.

3 Likes

We know that Skakdi, at least, have some sort of spinal fluid.

2 Likes

The circulatory system transports more than just nutrients though.

1 Like

I believe we once said somewhere that what Matoran have is not blood as such, it’s more like a lubrication system.

4 Likes