Doctor Who Discussion Topic

Had. Very important difference.

Have you seen the ‘key to time’ Story arc for Tom Baker?

Darn, so much for VPNs :stuck_out_tongue:

Sadly no

Okay, so the story arc was themed around finding the key to time. He sent on the quest by a time lord named the White Gaurdian,

Does he not look like a younger Colonel Sanders?

Especially from the KFC logo.

It also explains why he keeps changing in the commercials.

2 Likes

Eccleston fans

All two of us

you clearly haven’t spent much time talking about Doctor Who on the internet. And for the Cyberman thing, the Mondasian Cyberman origin is much more grisly. I was white-faced for the entire last half of Spare Parts, and I’m no slouch when it comes to horror.

1 Like

I’ve never talked about Doctor Who on the internet. Everyone around me are Tenant Fans.

You poor soul. The first bit you’re probably better off avoiding. The amount of time I’ve spent arguing about continuity and canonicity in a series that doesn’t give a fig about it is, at this point, incalculable. And that’s not even the tip of the iceberg.

The second though, that’s worse. I’d rather spend innumerable hours arguing about Looms than surrounded by Tennant fans who literally scream at his appearance.

Last year at comic con, me and my dad were waiting in line for Meat Loaf. Peter Davison walks past us, no one but me and another (clearly) Deep Lore nerd noticed, and we just went “hey, cool.” Tennant walks by five minutes later (with a guard) and the squealing was honestly painful.

2 Likes

Yeah, the tenant fan is mostly my family, but they like him because he brought some of the fun the series had been missing.

I can see that, to an extent. Eccleston had some great fun episodes though. Series four was the peak of NuWho though. Tennant and Tate bounced off each other fantastically.

1 Like

Agreed. I didn’t really like Matt Smith all that much. And I’ll never see tennant with the little tounge thing from Barty Crouch Jr.

Smith is fun. He’s got some of the best episodes of NuWho, but also the worst series overall. Rory and Amy are bloomin great companions, but his TARDIS design is very meh. Interior-wise, that is. Although I know how much detail there is on the box, it’s never interested me as much. The Michael Pickwoad TARDIS is fantastic, but only after Capaldi got it. Before that, too dark and dingy, too soulless and machine-like. The lighting scheme is the main reason for that.

Woah, another person who knows about Looms! It’s like being part of a secret cult :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d weigh in on the favorite Doctor discussion, but, uh, I think it’s a bit obvious. :stuck_out_tongue:

Fave classic Doc would probably be 4, but I also love 2, 3 and 5.

2 Likes

Welp, this blew up without me noticing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMs are the canonest thing in Who and anyone who says otherwise clearly hasn’t dedicated enough time to Doctor Who.

In all seriousness though, someone did a poll a few years ago on the topic of Lungbarrow’s canonicity (not that such a thing exists in Who. See the Paul Cornell essay on the topic) and the results were roughly 60% yes, 40% no, and everyone who spoke on the matter was either for Lungbarrow or didn’t know what it was. Obviously that’s not conclusive, I’ve spoken to people who (somewhat understandably) dislike Lungbarrow, but generally? I think that those who discredit it tend not to know what it is.

2 Likes

I have no idea what’s going on.

Yeah.

1 Like

Deep Who lore. After Classic Who was cancelled, all that came out of the franchise was the TV movie, novels, and unofficial audio dramas. Lungbarrow is the most famous of the novels, and was the last of the Virgin New Adventures range to feature the Seventh Doctor. It answered a lot of the questions that’d been subtly raised as part of the Cartmel Master Plan, going into detail on just who the Doctor is, while making him more mysterious and alien at the same time. Where in NuWho, the Doctor grew up in a barn, the VNAs had him “grow” up in a massive house full of living statues, where his tutor is Badger, a member of a mechanical race that’s seven feet tall. Time Lords do not have parents, they are not born naturally. They are “born” inside machines called Looms, weaving a new Gallifreyan into existence from the base matter of reality.

Lungbarrow is more canon than the barn. It doesn’t matter that one has been out of print for twenty plus years and is virtually impossible to get ahold of physically, it’s down to the quality.

2 Likes

Okay. I knew about the dead zone, and I’d listened to a few of the audio drama’s, but I didn’t know the deep lore bit.

1 Like

Oh, Lungbarrow is the tip of the iceberg of the Deep Lore. Wait until you’ve made a visual representation of the complexities of how Faction Paradox connects to regular Who.

And that’s still relatively surface level for the Deep Lore. The intricacies of the Second War in Heaven are…

1 Like

yeah, I’m not brave enough to dive into it. But I’ve read enough companion books and guides to know that I’ve barley sneezed at the surface, let alone scratched it. Though i’ve read enough to tell that the timeline of the enemies are more or less non-existent. we should just say that they’re everywhere, everytime, and be done with it.

1 Like

I’m too much of a casual to actually have read Lungbarrow lol. My uninformed take on the whole things is that Looms are a cool idea, but I’m not crazy about explaining the Doctor’s past too much, or about making him into a legendary figure*. As I understand it, the whole point of the Cartmel master plan was to restore mystery and ambiguity to the Doctor. So I’m more or less happy with the way seasons 25 and 26 left things: a few vague hints about his true nature, but nothing very concrete.

*Legendary because of his past life, I mean. Obviously he’s earned “legend” status through his actions.

Lungbarrow’s pretty good. Pretty out there, but pretty good. But yeah, the pride of my Who collection is my copy of This Town Will Never Let Us Go. On Amazon they’re currently going between £25.53 and £111.55

It’s an extremely Who lite book. I mean, it’s not legally Who, but since when has that stopped us? If you ever plan to get into the DEEP LORE of Faction Paradox though, This Town etc is the place to start. It gets you into the insane nature of The War, the memetic nature of it all, and the mindboggling time… insanity.

It’s great.

1 Like