Earthquake destroys Mexico City

If you pay attention to the news, or maybe if you don’t, you still probably know about the recent earthquake that wrecked most of Mexico City. Hundreds of people are dead and injured, buildings have been devastated and many people are trapped. There are people left without homes and places to stay. Some people I know got hurt, and I wanted to make this topic to help spread awareness and to get people to help.

There are plenty of sites to donate money to help, and if you don’t have money consider sharing these sites, or if you’re underage please tell your parents and get them to. Every dollar helps.

Donate at World Vision

Donate at Global Giving

Donate at Save the Children

Donate at Unicef Mexico (Spanish)

Donate at Red Cross Mexico (Spanish)

17 Likes

I’ll be sure to take a look; thanks for pointing me in this direction. Not a great time to live in Central America or the Caribbean. :frowning:

2 Likes

(mexican-spanish, it really isn’t the same)
it’s weird that the firefighters of my city (I live in tbe southern part of spain) are the most prepared of the entire country, they’ve sent them there, with dogs, so, help is coming from my city

2 Likes

Those darpa disaster bots better be deployed. That’s all I’m saying.

Hate to say it, but this is what happens when you build cheap structures. They collapse.

I mean, yeah, but it’s also what happens when a 7.1 magnitude earthquake hits one of the most populous cities in the world.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s also true. I just feel like if precautions had been taken, especially since it’s not the first time it has happened, maybe some of the disaster could have been avoided.

1 Like

While it’s true the building structures weren’t the best, this is still devestating. 7.1 is quite a hitter. I’ll be praying for those who were injured, and if I get money I’ll donate some of it if I can.

3 Likes

I meant the page is in spanish, y’know, as in the language.

If you hate to say it, don’t bloody say it. That’s a pretty insensitive comment to make on the matter, especially since it’s completely inaccurate. As much precautions as possible were taken, considering you can never really know when one is going to hit. There were no signs of it, it just hit so suddenly, and it was extremely close in proximity. And also, since the earthquake that hit Mexico City in 1985, the buildings were improved greatly to help protect from future disaster. In 1985 there were over 12000 dead, this recent one that number lowered immensely to around 300-ish.

Don’t say stuff like that if you don’t know what you’re talking about, as you clearly don’t.

6 Likes

His point is that Mexican Spanish is different from Spanish Spanish, just like how American English is different than British English. Still the same language, and still readable for the most part, but noticeably different.

Linguistic pedantics aside, I hadn’t realized the earthquake was so bad. I wish I had some money to help.

How is that relevant then?

It’s still spanish. I’m not incorrect in calling it that.

5 Likes

because some words are different, and you could get confused

it’s really just nit-picking because I just hate non-spainish spanish, Im racist like that

but that’s kind of off-topic

Nice that the world is distracted about hurricanes currently

1 Like

*The USA and some of the Caribbean.

Keep it to yourself then.

1 Like

whatever, I was just saying, you all just focused on that part instead of reading the “the firemen of my city are flying over the puddle with dogs to help” part

2 Likes