Eljay's new Miru

I currently cannot commit to purchasing, because of close family currently having financial issues, and I need to reserve money in case they need it. However, I am interested in joining the waiting list so as to reserve a mask once you have enough customers and I have the free money.

Also, how would one go about making it teal? Would that just involve paint, and would painting it reduce the effect of the gold dust?

1 Like

I’ve got some experience with fiberglass, and from what I know painting a fiberglass version of this would pretty much just mean taking the mask and painting it teal.

Then applying a clear coat, for protection.

1 Like

Awesome! Say, what’s your shapeways account?

So for a hundred you’d get mask with the Visor, fabric siding, and gold dust?

There is a life-size Miru already on Shapeways if you want to cough up $270 for it

2 Likes

ponders how much it would cost to get my SM’s head, lifesized and on shapeways…

1 Like

Looks great!

Super cool! I’m sure Eljay is really happy!

RIP Var. Anyways, nice mask! Looks true to the original.

I Shall mark you down for one then. Also I can use the money I would have spent on the gold dust for your mask and use teal paint instead.

My shapeways account is here. So far the mask of ultimate power is the only thing I have on it. You can get it here,

I will be Lining the surface of the mask mold with the gold powder. It loves to stick to silicone. then pouring a small amount of rotocast resin which will create a thin but strong shell. The gold will remain on the outside of the resin cast so when I buff it it should look splendid.I will reinforce the resin cast with Fiberglass. Like this but in gold.

2 Likes

Hey the MoUP looks great!

Made a Topic about it. Cyber-Hand's Forge

Here are more work in progress images of the mask.

I used a light weight car body filler to smooth out the ridges from the printing process and help seal the cracks where the two pieces meet up.

I then used a mat filler spray to see any imperfections.

This process was repeated till the mask was smooth.

20 Likes

dude, hats off to you, this is amazingly done

3 Likes

In another day or two you will see high quality images of the finished results. And the fibreglass masks I am making in the future should turn out even better.

Are you going to add mesh and such for the eyes and (mouth?) holes? If so you should add some lighting around the eyes.

The visor part was made by heating a tinted acrylic sheet and forming it to the right shape to fit in the mask. Lights behind the Visor would have allowed people to see through it and made it harder to see out. which given the shape of the mask is already a little tricky. Eljay is going to bump into a few things while at brickfair.

1 Like

Ah ok I see

This is briliant.
Major props, man

Woah… that is really really cool! 3D printing never ceases to amaze me.