Eljay's new Miru

MY GOSH! Sorry Var, this guy blows your mask out of the water.

So how does this mask stay on? Does it come with an adjustable strap?

Oops I forgot to update how I made the mask yesterday so I will post yesterdays and todayā€™s
When the Acrylic sheet arrived, I made a pattern for the visor and cut it out on my scroll saw.

Putting it into the oven heated it to a temperature where it became flexible. This allows me to shape it on a inverse to the inside of the mold I had printed.

It fitted perfectly into the mask and no one could see it through it.but I could see out, it felt like I was wearing a very large pair of sunglasses.

With the Mask as smooth as I could get it. (even then i wasnā€™t happy with it) I painted it black to help the gold stand out.

Then I painted it gold and applied rub n buff gold leaf to finish it.

I wanted the mask to be as comfy as I could so I cut out 6mm eva foam to act as in inlay to the mask. and glued that in place. on the sides and top are Velcro where I wanted the headband to attach to. And the gaps in the mouth were covered up with a black fabric.

The head band was designed for a go pro. I re-purposed it by adding a little eva foam and velcro. The velcro in the mask and on the head band mean you can adjust it for your head and the way it sits.

I realized after I sent it I forgot to trim the fabric after I glued it. The threads might have been tickling Eljaā€™s nose a little bit as he was wearing it around Brick Fair.
But there you have it. One finished Great Kanohi Miru.

Phew! I am glad that I was able to get this all up. I hope everyone enjoyed this, and donā€™t be afraid to ask me anymore questions.

24 Likes

Would it be possible to lay the mold with silver instead of gold?

Absolutely. I can also make it bronze, copper or use a glow in the dark powder. Was thinking of making an Avohkii that used glow powder. Would make a terrifying might light.

9 Likes

I love the new mask so much, great work!

saw it today at brickfair. it really is cool, also looks amazing!

Wow, that thing is amazing! Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, this is Eljayā€™s third mask?

Forth Mask. I think, he might have done some upgrades to his first Miru.

1 Like

These have been his masks up until mine. so it is the forth.

4 Likes

Yours is the best by far.

1 Like

I honestly prefer the previous oneā€¦

Do you have an etsy store?
If not, you should make one, and sell your masks there

I enjoy the genuine nature of the second one a lot, because itā€™s what Iā€™ve known Eljay to wear for the longest time and because itā€™s sloppiness gives it a unique shape that sort of grew on me. I have a feeling this new one wonā€™t take any time at all to grow on me, though, it looks fantastic.

Why do you like the previous one more?

iā€™m guessing nostalgia.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really like the second one even though itā€™s, objectively, not that great. Itā€™s just because itā€™s what Iā€™m used to, nostalgia and all that. Clearly the most recent one is fantastic.

Iā€™m not really sure.

Itā€™s not nostalgia, but maybe that the imperfections give it a more real look, this new one looks a little too perfect, almost like its been photoshopped on. Itā€™s nothing against yours though, it is fantastically made, just not for meā€¦

Oh believe me it is not perfect. I wasl not happy with the way the corners of the forehead inset looked. And the gold on the nose kept rubbing off. Eljay said he didnā€™t mind the nose, since it defined the edge and gave it a little bit of character.

6 Likes

Looking at it from the front it really does look photoshopped at times simply because itā€™s so good. Like, super high quality, I canā€™t stress that enough. Iā€™d definitely pay top dollar for a mask like it if I ever had the need/desire for one (but since Iā€™ve already revealed my face to the internet on many occasions, itā€™s a little late to cover up, and I honestly donā€™t know what else Iā€™d use such a mask for other than sheer coolness factor, which is a pretty tempting argument by itself, but not quite enough for me to justify buying a mask).

1 Like