Elves canceled in 2019?

I just randomly looked on brickset and saw this: Elves won’t have any sets in 2019. Seriously, now we have only TWO ORIGINAL THEMES!!! (Friends and Ninjago). I believe that it will be replaced as Nexo Knights will, (Hopefully). Also, it didn’t appear in any 2019 catalog. Leave your thoughts and speculations below.

3 Likes

This may sound strange, but I kinda feel sorry for it. While I was never really interested in it and never bought any sets, I really liked it’s originality and story. This was the last theme other then Ninjago to have a dedicated story. Seeing that go and us left with only Ninjago and Friends (I’ll be honest, Friends seemed like trash compared to Elves.) I really hope they will replace it. If they don’t do so, I guess we are only left with Ninjago…

1 Like

man… ninjago needs to go…
it’s been a very long time since it’s been around, they need to let it go
i lost track because i wasn’t interested.
they need to experiment more this time.

5 Likes

If Ninjago goes…There will be no serious original theme. I mean, with a story: Friends doesn’t have any particular tied story like Ninjago, Bionicle, and all the others do. I also feel it will really be canceled in S10…

1 Like

City, Speed Champions, Creator, Boost, Architecture, Technic, Unikitty and like you said, Friends and Ninjago.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Elves’ run comes to the end by either 2019 or 2020, not sure how well it sold (I think somewhat well due to the colours and pieces it gave use) I didn’t buy any sets however, I’m not a huge fan of the minidolls (but if I find one on clearance one day, i’ll think about it)

also I don’t feel like having an angry LEGO logo with angry eyes shooting a one of the minidolls with an E-11 Blaster Rifle (I think that was the gun it was based on, a Star Wars fan can tell me if I was wrong) with her eyes crossed out and mouth clearly turned upside down to portray a frown (as an outline is seen) doesn’t seem to being in the best tastes in my opinion, kind of clickbait-ey

5 Likes

LOTR reboot when?

I’m not dismayed or excited about this. Themes come and go, and I just sit here and remember the good ones.

1 Like

To repetitive. And doesn’t have any actual story

It’s based on Licensed models, so it technically doesn’t count[quote=“Whaddon, post:5, topic:47892”]
Creator
[/quote]

Ok… Now this theme also gets licensed models like that JB Aston Martin. But the theme itself it’s just another boring ever green theme that doesn’t have any story[quote=“Whaddon, post:5, topic:47892”]
Boost
[/quote]

Doesn’t count[quote=“Whaddon, post:5, topic:47892”]
Architecture
[/quote]

It feels ridiculous that you count this. [quote=“Whaddon, post:5, topic:47892”]
Technic
[/quote]

Once again, based on Licensed models[quote=“Whaddon, post:5, topic:47892”]
Unikitty
[/quote]

Ok… Maybe?

Don’t get me wrong, I like those themes, but they don’t go into the story-driven theme group. This is my problem. Story-driven theme slowly become extinct.[quote=“ToaNoah_Wafflemeister, post:6, topic:47892”]
LOTR reboot when?
[/quote]

No no no! We need Castle back! Not LOTR! First bring Castle back before considering bringing LOTR back.

good

post must be at least 5 characters

1 Like

okay, this is epic

1 Like

Ok, why? I know most of us never really cared about this theme, but let’s be honest: was it a bad theme? Not at all, IMO at least it was miles better then Friends…

I don’t think it’s canceled, it might just not have any spring releases.

As far as I know lego has not made an official announcement on the themes retirement yet…

They’re probably waiting for an April or May release for the new sets.

3 Likes

it’s just as bad as friends imo

1 Like

None of them is really that bad. The only reason people hate them is because of Mini Dolls. Mini Dolls kinda receive way to much hate then they really should…

I mean it sucks that there aren’t many original story themes but I think Lego just needs to create some new stuff. Maybe there’s a ton of licensed stuff and they’re allocating resources to that for business reasons, personally I don’t see this as a loss, maybe a better original theme will pop up in the future.

Exo-Force Reboot Hype Mech is leaving the docks…

1 Like

Time for another long-winded Bio post. Let’s see if we can clear up some of this confusion

This statement is true, up to a point. As others have shown, there’s a whole lot more original themes then just these two. I think what Radrix was trying to say is that there are only two original story driven themes left as he clarified later in another post.

I don’t think Ninjago is going anywhere anytime soon. I believe I saw somewhere it is now considered an evergreen theme (like City) so as long as people keep buying the sets it’s going to keep on chugging along

I know this is a joke and all, but I feel the need to respond to it. Unless the movies get rebooted or this new Amazon series does come to be, then I think Lego LOTR will never return, as it has no real purpose to exist. The reason Lego Harry Potter came back last year was most likely because of the new movie in the Fantastic Beast pentalogy.

Now onto the different original themes

Kind of have to agree with you on the repetitiveness a bit, but Lego is trying to differentiate things a bit. For the second point, while City doesn’t really have an overarching story, each set allows a kid to create their own story

Gonna have to agree with you on this one

The same point as City, while there is no overarching story, each set allows for a kid to create their own story

Personally, I would give it an eh, as it’s sort of an original theme, but I’m not sure if I would count it as an original theme (just like its predecessor Mindstorms)

I kind of have to agree with you on this one

While yes, there has definitely been a bit of an increase in licensed Technic sets as of late, I would still say, at its heart, Technic is still an original theme

It’s similar to all of the different movie waves (except for maybe Batman) and Mixels (and also the Freemaker Adventures and Yoda Chronicles subthemes in Star Wars to an extent) in the sense that’s in sort of a grey area where it could be considered both an original theme and a licensed theme as while the sets are all original ideas, for the most part, they appear in a licensed property, in this case a TV show or movie

In regards to why people might like why Elves ending, is because they never really fit the bracket that it was intended for (young to pre-teen girls) and therefore did not really enjoy it as much as other people did. While I’ve never really fit the bracket either, it is kind of sad to see it go.

Finally, in regards to whether Elves might return this year, I’m not really sure. We don’t how well it sold (and probably never will), but it did manage to last for four years (1 year longer than Lego usually gives new original themes if they don’t cancel them early like with G2) up to this point. We’ll either have to wait until the spring or summer until we know if it’s returning or not. Heck, it could even be taking a year off before returning in 2020, we don’t really know

3 Likes

So that means it’s not an original theme?[quote=“LegoDavid, post:7, topic:47892”]
It feels ridiculous that you count this.
[/quote]

It’s kind of ridiculous that you don’t. It’s the only LEGO theme thus far which owes its existence to a LEGO fan/builder, which in my book makes ti a rather valuable theme to exist. And when it comes to other original themes, there isn’t a single one that hasn’t, in some way, shape or for, derived the architecture of its structures from actual buildings throughout history. This is simply the next logical step.[quote=“LegoDavid, post:7, topic:47892”]
Ok… Maybe?
[/quote]

Definitely. Whaddon wasn’t trying to compare Architecture to Ninjago, but it is an original theme, no matter your opinion on it.

I’d argue that, in the cases of Freemaker Adventures/The Yoda Chronicles, that the artistic application of the given license (this being Star Wars) is far too vast to undertake without the licensee’s approval in all aspects. Personally, I think they’re still licensed subthemes branching off of Star Wars which have been given the greenlight, meaning LEGO doesn’t have absolute control over the concept.

IMO I’m a bit disappointed that Elves might disappear. The line has give us some great parts in some very interesting colours. However, the plot was so tasteless and the published media so mind-numbing I find it difficult to miss despite the contributions it’s made to the MOCing field.

1 Like

My promlem is the fact that Story driven themes tend to disappear. Sure, “original” themes like Ar Architecture Mindstroms, City etc will always be around, but my problem is that story themes disappear, now with Elves gone soon wr will only be left with Ninjago and Friends, which is kinda heartbreaking for me.[quote=“Ghidora131, post:18, topic:47892”]
IMO I’m a bit disappointed that Elves might disappear. The line has give us some great parts in some very interesting colours. However, the plot was so tasteless and the published media so mind-numbing I find it difficult to miss despite the contributions it’s made to the MOCing field.
[/quote]

I 100% agree here. While still being disliked by a lot of people, it really helped MOCing. So seeing that going away isn’t going to be easy for MOCers.

In my opinion, if you count Friends, you’d better count CIty too.

1 Like

I count Friends because of the TV Show it has, which City does not.