Empire of Insects (signups)

Yeah.

Dang it.

Oh yeah I just did some research and saw that they can only survive for 5 seconds out of water. Big oof.
But aren’t there also bugs who exclusively live in water for most of their lives? Such as water striders, water bugs and boatmen. There is also a species of spider that have underwater webs around air bubbles that they live in and catch water bugs from. And there is a rolly polly that lives exclusively in the ocean.
I don’t know, but perhaps maybe if other people signed up water-dwelling bugs then maybe you would be willing to create an actual location in and around the swamp’s waters?
If not, then maybe I’ll rework Tralthop as a different species…

I’m gonna wait for a couple more people to hop in, and then it’s going up.

Iffy on this one… Approved.

Yes, actually he’d probably have information about a specific plotline I had in mind sooner than most anyone else.[quote=“Holi, post:41, topic:49830”]
Two: being easily comparable to arachnids would Sopter face political and social disdain? Or would his threatening size. Be enough to at the very least cause it to be hidden
[/quote]

Your punctuation made this a bit confusing

Nobody has seen arachnids around for a good while, and the only arachnid currently walking about is the Weaver. His status as an arachnid is universally questioned as well, so while Sopter’s size is probably a cause for concern for pretty much everyone, I doubt anyone’s going to associate him with arachnids.

The main reason for that being that Scorpions have never been seen in Grales.[quote=“Mctoran, post:44, topic:49830”]
Oh yeah I just did some research and saw that they can only survive for 5 seconds out of water. Big oof.
[/quote]

I’ve seen them survive for at least ten seconds actually, but yeah. It’s a good indication that this isn’t going to work.[quote=“Mctoran, post:44, topic:49830”]
There is also a species of spider that have underwater webs around air bubbles that they live in and catch water bugs from.
[/quote]

Yes, and that spider is always at a constant risk of drowning. It manipulates the surface tension of water to cycle air from the surface into its bubble home by trapping it on its body.[quote=“Mctoran, post:44, topic:49830”]
I don’t know, but perhaps maybe if other people signed up water-dwelling bugs then maybe you would be willing to create an actual location in and around the swamp’s waters?
[/quote]

Those players would be forced to constantly interact with certain other characters and nobody else. I don’t see why you’d want that.

Name: The Weaver
Species: Hunstman (Unplayable)
Capabilities: The Weaver, being exceptionally tall for his size, uses his very long legs to weave together incredible fabrics with the strength of iron, which he then sells in the capitol. He also possesses two tiny fangs which, if he bites another insect with, can kill an small insect instantaneously and send a larger one to their deathbed. These are beyond ineffective as any attempt to use them would require him lowering himself down painstakingly to reach his opponent.
He can also detatch each leg individually from his body if it is retained in some fashion, although he cannot grow them back.
Appearance: A standard hunstman. Sometimes he wears a cap with lenses to examine his fabric closer with.
Bio: The Huntsman known as the Weaver arrived rather unexpectedly about 20 years ago, residing in the old windmill in the commonwealth. Nobody knows that much about him, especially where he gets that fabric material…

Name: Shogunate Wei Mu
Species: Hercules (Rhino) Beetle
Capabilities: Immensely strong, even for a hercules beetle. Earned the place as Shogunate by proving he was the best of the best. Wields a large sword which he is extremely proficient at using in combat. Wears a set of samurai-esqe ornate armour made out of the exoskeleton of the last Shogunate. Also has a pair of wings granting him limited flight.
Appearance: A hercules beetle in shining samurai armour. Stands a head above all the other Holos.
Bio: Joined the Holos early on, and is one of the oldest members. When the last Shogunate passed on, the Emperor started the grand tournament to decide the next. After three months of grueling conditions, Wei Mu proved himself tough enough to take on the entirety of the Holos, earning him the position as Shogunate and marking him in history as one of the strongest ever to reign.

Name: Yuburu
Species: White Mantis
Capabilities: Yuburu possesses wings for good-ranged flight. He also has some experience with martial arts, but not much. He carries a small set of knives on his person.
Appearance: Wears elaborate and fancy robes based off Japanese culture, which are white like his carapace with a gold trim. It’s likely made by the weaver. Is rather small for a mantis, but that’s just because of his age, still being a child.
Bio: After the death of his father, the already shy and silent Yuburu became even more reclusive, showing very little emotion at any given time. He prefers to reside in the capitol building nearly all the time, and recently has shown more and more signs that he’s losing his proper grip on himself.

1 Like

Whatever problems you have with Evelyn I can change to make less iffy

Would you approve of a crawfish character?

Too waterbound.

…I don’t think so.

There’s no indication that Grales is by any amount of water, so your crawfish character would be extremely dependent. If you really want to try go ahead, but this is supposed to be Empire of Insect, not seafood menu.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Is there any reason why you chose not to include them?

Oh?(if you don’t want to say it here pm me)

Scorpions are extremely quick and especially dangerous in this RP, and if played right would easily outclass basically any other character, even spiders.[quote=“Holi, post:51, topic:49830”]
Oh?(if you don’t want to say it here pm me)
[/quote]

Well, it can’t hurt for you to know at least some of it.

1 Like

Is everyone forgetting about the swamp?! I’m pretty sure it’s more than large enough to support the life and health of a Crawfish. And he can theoretically be out of water for months as long as his gills remain sufficiently moist, so he could probably be able to be out of water for the entire RP.

Is everyone forgetting the swamp is sited directly next to the forest, and has the remnant of a cannibalistic cult living there? If you don’t care about your character go ahead, if traversing through any portion if the forest wasn’t dangerous enough, heading there will be.[quote=“Mctoran, post:53, topic:49830”]
sufficiently moist
[/quote]

And that’s the kicker.

With no identifiable source of water aside from wells, your crawfish is going to be asking to get a drink constantly. And given that he’s not an insect, he’s going to be pretty alienated.

But if you want him in you need a character sheet. Debating the specifics with no character sheet is going to help nothing.

Mctoran why are you so adamant on being a crayfish in this setting technically the only acceptable crustacean should be the woodlouse/roly poly

1 Like

And I thought about roly pollies, but those guys can be as big as dogs underwater.

Maybe I’ll do some sort of land crab instead…

That’s isopods roly poly’s are the size of a pea

1 Like

laughs in prehistoric

1 Like

I just picked a Weta due to size C R O N C H power and the fact that the Maori warriors used them as hand grenades

3 Likes

Excuse me did you just triple post[quote=“Holi, post:60, topic:49830, full:true”]
laughs in prehistoric
[/quote]

You made it a good signup, which is something I’m extremely partial to.

1 Like

Name: Sharothe
Species: Mantis Shrimp
Capabilities: Insane punching strength, ability to breathe both air and water
Appearance: Has a very dark exoskeleton. Also always wears a cloak with the hood up out of shame.
Bio: In his adolescence, Sharothe was learning how to control the immense strength that the mantis shrimp have. Then one day, he and his best friend got on the wrong side of a weapons merchant bark beetle. There was a small scuffle where the merchant got a knife to the friend’s throat. Sharothe moved to the side and punched, but the merchant moved the friend in the way.

The incredible force of that punch tore through both the friend and the merchant. Upon seeing what he had done, he ran away. That day he learned to lothe the power he had, and through the years that hatred has only grown.

Now, Sharothe believes that violence is never the answer, and would rather die than use his strength to hurt someone.

Name: Lux

Species: Merminki Chioni or the “Snow Ant” Pupa stage.

TBH wrote this doc and kinda didn't want to rewrite all of it here. I'm planning to stick to what's written in this doc. Strangely this Dropdown has all the same information....[s]wonder why I did that....[/s]

Merminki Chioni

The Merminki Chioni or Snow Ant is a part of the Pterygot subclass, and part of the Antliophora order of insects. Unlike its brethren the Merminki Chioni is often confused with species from the Hymenoptera order, due to its ant-like appearance.

The Snow Ant grows roughly to 36 mm once it reaches adulthood and gains its wings. It is commonly found albino and is rarely seen with different color. The species is also known to grow fur early on and its larva are often covered in it, and lose fur as they grow into adulthood. The Snow Ant as a very ant-like body, with six legs, a pair of wings, and a pair of antennae, fur covers their neck area and along their back and their chest. Their mandibles are also larger and designed to have cutting power to easily kill their prey.

The Snow Ants live most their lives alone, though if they find a suitable mate, they mate for life. Once they eggs are laid in a small nest they usually hatch in a short time, giving shape to the larvae. The larvae are an almost furry caterpillar-like stage where they stay go out and eat edible tree leaves. Once the larvae get big enough, about 30 mm, they molt their old body and come out as a pupa. The Pupa look extremely similar to the adults, though they are without their wings. The pupa when they first molt are about 28 mm tall. During the pupa stage the Snow Ants begin to hunt termites and ants, using their uncanny resemblance as a disguise to help them. They feed until they bodies need to molt again and they reach adulthood, gaining their wings.

As an adult the Snow Ant spend the remainder of their lives searching for a mate, by emitting a scent via special hormones. If the female is attracted to the male, then they go and build a nest, often using old termite burrows. Once the nest is complete they are mates for life.

The Snow Ant’s main food source is other insects, such as ants or termites. They are adept at hunting them and can mimic snow falling to hide themselves in a wintry setting, via a pattern in their instincts.

Their large mandibles are useful for cutting their prey, so they can break it down much easier. They also have two antennae that aid them in hunting their prey, via smell. The Snow Ants are sensitive to the smell of prey and can smell them from 50 cm away. Their fur allows them to live in colder climates and last longer in snowfall.

Capabilities:

• Will be able to fly if Lux reaches the adult stage.
  • Has larger(ish) mandibles that are designed to cut apart prey easily.
  • Can lift things about twice his weight
  • Has “fur” designed to keep Lux warm.
  • Can crawl up walls
  • Has two antennae that give Lux enhanced smell

Equipment:

• Lux carries a warhammer, which he uses break the armor of his prey or enemies. It is designed in a similar way to the very real war hammer. The weapon is a two-handled weapon that is occasionally used one-handedly when paired with a shield.

This is an image of a warhammer, Lux’s warhammer would basically be this, though made with resources available in this world. Fun Fact: the other side from the hammer is called a warpick. pick as in pickaxe.

Appearance:
A more humanized version of this drawing. So a very ant-like body with fur, the Pupa stage looks mainly like the adult stage, though it has no wings. The pupa stage gains wings when it reaches adulthood and molts into its new body.
If I ever complete the drawing I’ll post it under this one.

Bio/Personality
Lux is a wandering hunter, that followed his instincts in order to find more food. He desires to reach adulthood and learn to fly.

He followed his path, from eating leaves as a larva, to now hunting as a pupa. His early memories do not include a family and now he desires to stray from this path an be a dad, where his couldn’t.

Lux is a lover of adventures and will go out of his way to help another, unless of course it is his prey.

1 Like