End of the Gilded Age - RP Topic

“Mr. Dowell too?” Gideon said, pretending to know who Mr. Dowell was. “Well, Lord willing he’ll make it. He’d better, too, or he’ll have all of New York to answer to, and me as well!”

“Say, he’s probably why you’re here, isn’t it? Being Pinkerton and all?” He slowly drew a finely-wrapped saltwater taffy from his pocket and began to unwrap it.

“Yes, yes,” the Pinkerton man nods. “I was hired to protect Mr. Dowell’s case of gold at all costs. Thankfully, the bandits were taken care of. But I failed my employer.”

1 Like

Gideon stopped with the taffy halfway into his mouth, trying to determine how to respond. “That’s… Well, if he isn’t going to make it, do you know where the gold’s going?”

“Straight to the destination he wanted,” the Pinkerton agent replies. “And that I can’t tell ya.”

Gideon smiled. “That’s fine, I understand.” He chomped down on the taffy. “Well, make the crew double the coal, and give my regards to Mr. Dowell.”

1 Like

“Of course, of course.”

The Pinkerton agent goes his way to check on Mr. Dowell. Thankfully, the doctor is doing a good job keeping Mr. Dowell from dying.

An hour passes as many of you start to see the New York City skyline for the first time. Many of the buildings still look old and Victorian, yet peaking from behind them are the makings of buildings taller than any of you had ever seen before. Truly it makes you wonder how it is even possible.

As the train makes it’s stop, the doctor hurridly gets off the train with Mr. Dowell, with the Pinkerton Agent helping him carry him away. The doctor calls for a carriage in the midst of the crowd.

As for the rest of you… It’s a new city. Lots to explore and do!

2 Likes

“Hahaha… are we the fools? Seems like you still haven’t learned that crime doesn’t pay.” Hedvig says to the woman before heading towards the door.

1 Like

Gideon waited as most of the passengers on the train hurriedly left before casually stepping out. The stuffy air seeped into his lungs and he exhaled it quickly, happy just to be off the train.

Glancing about, he tried to see if there was any immediate things to do or anything out of the ordinary. He had been in busy cities before, but nothing with quite the reputation like New York.

New York City appears to be almost overwhelming. It is incredible, the amount of shops, stores, and business buildings dotting the place. Men riding around on bicycles, carriages, and occasionally new-fangled automobiles. There is a crowd of people around, who seem to know where they are going.

1 Like

Glancing back at the crowd from the train, Gideon walked towards the crowd, curious to see where they were headed.

I sort of expected new York to be filthier than this. He rubbed the side of his face which turned gold for a moment.

1 Like

You would be frankly surprised. Sure, the streets were dirty, and the city is noisy. And yes, the sky was quite polluted. But apparently, this was American industry.

Following the crowd, you see they are all making their way to different jobs, going to restaurants, barbers, factories, etc.

Hedvig exits the train stretching on the platform and breathing in the air of the city, “Ah… taste like adventure.” he remarks as he makes his way into the city.

Quite a sight for you as well. You pick up the place you entered was called “Grand Central Station” and it shows signs of massive rebuilding and construction. It was strange to you, as you can see massive excavations being made to lay down railroad tracks near the station.

And it did taste like adventure. You could smell a combination of foods blended in at once, sweet and savory. New York, apparently, had a myriad of different cultures to make this atmosphere. The taste was also contributed to the shouting from across the streets and policemen blowing their whistles.

2 Likes

Hedvig was amazed by the busy sights of the city as he tried to keep his excitment down. He began looking for a place that served some good drinks and food.

There would be a bar pretty close to the train station. You’d notice it is filled with people of different backgrounds. No doubt it’s a popular spot for travelers.

1 Like

Hedvig decides to enter bar, he makes haste to the bar counter and rings up a cold one. He took a look at the menu of food.

Smells like a local beer, put on ice. Definitely American.

Surprisingly not a lot on the menu. There’s potatoes, fried foods, perhaps a sample of steak or ham. Onion rings is a surprising option, looks rather new. There is fish food to try out, apparently caught from the Atlantic. Pasta is a limited option on the menu, unfortunately.

For dessert, they have cherry and pecan pie, and perhaps some vanilla ice cream.

2 Likes

Turning around, Gideon spotted a tall, pot-bellied man enter a building near the train station. Recognizing him from the train, he swiftly followed after him and entered the bar.

Hedvig decides some onion rings. So he calls the bartendee over and ask him to take his order. He orders some onion rings and wait for the to be served.

“Excellent choice,” the tender says. You wait a few minutes (but it feels like 10 hours), until you are finally served fresh onion rings. They look crispy, and fried. Not too dissimilar to the western and southern cooking you are used to. Feels cozy.

2 Likes