Five Nights at Freddy's series

Not just you.

So, FNaF 2’s one year anniversary is today. Let’s talk about that, I guess.

2 Likes

Fnaf 2 is my least favourite of all the Fnaf games IMO. Too many animatronics coming at you at once, which detracted from slow suspense and atmosphere, jumpscares weren’t scary, and the puppet’s windup box was more of a chore than a suspense factor (having to set the camera feed in one spot).

Fnaf 3 is my favourite (the grittiest and darkest), followed by 1, and 4 respectively.

3 Likes

nothing better than milking a game harder than Activision, eh?

1 Like

Now this may not be a particularly popular viewpoint, but I personally see no problem in making as many sequels/spinoffs/what-have-you as possible - as long as they’re good.

While there is some dissent regarding the FNaF games, for the most part they’re all still good games and there was no indication of them ‘going downhill’ or being produced solely to take advantage of the series’ reputation.

Finally, let me apologize if I misread your comment (I’ve never quite been able to decide exactly what ‘milking’ entails in this context), or even if I didn’t - I’m not meaning to be aggressive or at all unpleasant. Merely presenting the other side of the (once again, potential, I’m not even entirely sure you’ve said what I’ve read it as) debate.

3 Likes

everyone knows what I mean by milking

2 Likes

I understand the meaning and concept of ‘milking’ something, that’s fine. I just meant I’ve never been able to decide whether ‘milking’ is a purely negative term or not.

(As an example: I think we can all agree that, say, the last The Mummy movie or the Transformers series by this point - both just off the top of my head - almost definitely count as milking the franchise. But what about things like the Harry Potter movies? Were they milking that franchise, simply because they rode that pre-existing wave of popularity, or do they not qualify as milking since they also stood on their own as quality media with a justified existence? That’s the kind of thing I’ve never been quite sure about.)

1 Like

I guess not, but 4’s release didn’t seem terribly natural. It seemed to me that 3 was supposed to be the end, but Scott really liked the concept of a nightmare game, so he went ahead and made it. That’s also kind of backed by how useless the story information in 4 is.

And yeah, there’s not much to talk about any more. I have the story down as well as I can get it(there are a couple loopholes still) and that’s pretty much all I care about when it comes to FNAF.

3 Likes

True, true. I agree that 4 felt a little forced, like it was more of a deliberate addition than a natural one, but I guess that my main point actually still lies within your post:

It didn’t feel like a natural or necessary addition to the series, but it did still feel like a good game that had effort and thought put into it. It was its own game with new and unique mechanics, and it still felt like it justified the money that it cost and didn’t just feel like a rehash of the previous games (gameplay-wise, at least).

It felt (to me, at least) that Scott’s reasoning for 4 was along the lines of “Well the series is over, buuut I really kinda want to try this, I guess I’ll just find some way to shoehorn it in”; rather than “Well the series is over, buuut I really want more money, so I guess I’ll just make whatever to extract more cash from its reputation”.

The story of 4, on the other hand, I can totally agree with you on. I’m pretty much in it for the story as well, and 4 definitely did disappoint in that regard. But I guess the point I’m making is, even so, it didn’t feel like its entire raison d’etre was to make more money out of nothing but reputation.

(Man, am I being oddly confrontational about this issue? Sorry to everyone if I am, I just realized I may very well be pushing my argument far more than I really need to. I’ll try and tone it down a little - we don’t want every second post to just have my funny-faced avatar sitting next to it…)

2 Likes

I feel like FNAF World is an odd cover up for something darker.
The gameplay just looks oddly suspicious and cheap…as if Scott was hinting something…

Note the Mangle teaser…

4 Likes

Don’t tell me I’m the only one here concerned about Scott? I don’t think Scott would joke around with suicide and all…

If you know about his life before FNaF…

1 Like

Yeah, it’s getting to the point where I’m getting a little worried about Scott. I mean, he doesn’t seem to have any other accounts that he has updated at all since late last year - but still, I was kinda hoping I’d find some sort of post by him or something in the last few days. I… really don’t know any more.

EDIT: Okay, I can’t find Scott’s Gamejolt account myself but apparently he logged onto there four days after the Mangle teaser, at least. So that’s… something, I guess.

1 Like

I checked his Gamejolt, he last logged in on the 10th.

Well at least we know he is alive… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

In which case, that begs the question… what is he doing right now? I suppose it’s something big of some sort, but what?

(Of course, as others have mentioned in various places, maybe he’s just spending some quality time with his family. If so, that’s heartwarming and I hope he’s been having fun.)

2 Likes

Most likely this. Dude needs a break.

1 Like

Yeah, he only made four games in less then a year, then updated them. and has to put up with nagging fans and haters all the time. Scott needs to go somewhere with his family, and just enjoy the fruits of his labor. He has more then earned it.

2 Likes

You most certainly aren’t. That said, it’s not like he hasn’t touched on disturbing subjects before. As in,

Additionally, he has contacted some of the big theorist youtubers and let them know that he’s ok.

On an unrelated note, I just noticed this:

I’m actually really gratified that I’m not the only person on the internet that likes 3 the most! The story is the most poetic(and rewarding) in my opinion and it has the best atmosphere of the whole game series. Also, Springtrap. By far my favorite animatronic/character.

4 Likes

I agree with you. even if I have never played it.

1 Like

You’re not really missing much, to be honest.

It’s the only game of the series that I own, and honestly the gameplay is kind of dry. If you’re already aware of the story bombshell that it carries, it really loses its novelty around night 4.

1 Like

Blackout, Day 16. Still waiting for anything to goshdang happen.

1 Like

So…uh…what’s everyone’s favorite and least favorite animatronic?

Springtrap=Favorite
Toy Bonnie=Least Favorite