Gunpla Discussion Topic

Anything that involves sanding, cutting, drilling, etc

Basically when color is the only thing you’re worried about left

whenever you want, i guess it depends how exactly you wanna paint it
if it’s a solid color like with the one you painted, i’d spray-paint it while the parts are still on the runner/tree or whatever you call it
but like, if it’s just for weathering or something like that you should paint it when it’s all built

Ah ok, makes sense.
Thanks.

1 Like

I would paint models after building as much as possible without covering the hardest places to reach because it makes it easier to paint everything at once. I would advice you to do the same as it’s far less likely for your kit to have uneven paint job if you paint every part at the same time.

Spray painting is probably the best method in applying a base coat as it’s the quickest way to cover your model with an even coat of paint. And when painting in the proper colours, just make sure the paint settles evenly, and if there are some places uncovered let the paint dry first and apply a second coat later.

Remember to thin your paints.

1 Like

Bad idea

@ELE109 You don’t want to do this given the fact that you’ll need to sand the parts after cutting them

1 Like

Yea I thought so.

oh…
yeah
nevermind

Can I ask another dumb question?
Can I use water as a paint thinner? I’m using testors paint if anyone ms wondering.

Nah, sorry. You’ll need to use some form of alcohol as a thinner. I’d recommend buying Tamiya Paint Thinner. Just be careful. It’s about as flammable as, well, alcohol.

Also don’t drink. Bad idea.

1 Like

Would this work?

that looks a bit

intense

for what you need

Oh, I’ve made a few customs, with weathering and stuff.
Not much else yet tho.

If I buy paint thinner, would it not look like crap if I hand painted?

You can only use water as thinner for proper water based acrylic paint. Testors paints are enamel paints so you’re going to need oil paint thinner.

No. As the name implies, a thinner makes the paint thinner and thus easier to apply evenly in thin layers, making sure the model’s details don’t get covered under a thick layer of paint. Your brush strokes are less likely to remain visible as thinned paint settles more nicely than a thick coat of paint.

If you’re going for a full paint job just use spray cans.

It’s just easier.

I know that. But when need to paint weapons I hand paint (and it looks like crap because I used water as a thinner).

Also, does anyone know if Tamiya Acrylic is already thinned?

I think it’s thinned?

I’ve got a few jars of it and none of them seemed extraordinarily thick to me.

1 Like

Or y’know, airbrush like a pro

1 Like

Yeah

The $250 setup for someone who might not need it

Wonderful idea

1 Like

Eh, I believe it’s a good investment for a hobbiest. But then again, I do different stuff for my hobby, Airbrushes don’t have to be expensive though, you can get a decent one for about $100 or so