Horrible Books You Read/had to read 4 school From When You Were Younger

Of course I am. Look at my icon. It’s Baskin Robbins Ice Cream. :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

The Stranger by Albert Camus

It was a decent book and it got it’s theme across pretty well, but it was really boring.

Flipped, and The true confessions of charlotte doyle. Flipped had a horrible ending, and the other book we spent around 3 weeks on it when I could have read the entire thing in a hour. I’m a fast reader.

I had to read The Great Gatsby for high school literature and it was probably the most boring book I’ve ever read. It’s about rich people sitting around and talking at parties with very little action going on.

1 Like

I remember there was this one book I read in 8th grade, Crispin, that I never particularly liked. In fact aside from Fahrenheit 451, Lord of the Flies, and To Kill a Mockingbird, I wasn’t all to fond of the majority of the books we had to read.

3 Likes

But there are sequels…

I have never been made to read a book I didn’t like. Or rather. I just don’t care whether someone forces me or not. The books I read for homework were all ones that I found interesting.

2 Likes

There are? Why have I not learned of this?

1 Like

No Idea. I’ve read them all. I enjoyed them.

I hope this isn’t considered off topic, but I’m curious. Has anyone here read The Prince, by Machiavelli? I ask because I often hear people say negative things about it.

5 Likes

I had to read a very strange book, whose title I’ve forgotten, about humans escaping a collapsed Earth and settling on a far-off planet.

Good lord, it was so all over the place!

1 Like

I read a little lot of books for my middle school humanities class. This included books like Crispin, Over the Wire, and the Breadwinner. The thing is, is that After our class finished the unit involving the books, I never read them again

1 Like

Xenoblade chronicles X has a novel adaptation?

/s

2 Likes

I have, for my Western Civ class in college. I think it gets flak because it describes an ideal leader as someone who exploits his subjects, grabs for power wherever and whenever he can at the expense of anyone, and isn’t averse to killing his political enemies to cement his power…

To give more details, Machiavelli’s hero in the book is Cesare Borgia, a Renaissance ruler with a very…interesting reputation. Look him up–he’s what the ideal leader should be, according to Machiavelli.

As a counter to the negatives, some people believe that Machiavelli wrote the book idolizing these types of people to get in good with the Medici family, who had exiled him from Florence. So it may not be his actual opinion, but really just pandering. But I’m not sure…

1 Like

Pretty much this. I love to read, but it has to be on my own time. It’d be like forcing me to MOC. I’d hate every second of it because I’m being forced into it.

I read the book and watched the movie. If anything, I enjoyed the movie more than my friends did.

As for books I hated reading… “Beowulf”. I loved reading Beowulf last year and the year before. In fact, it’s still one of my favorite stories. But reading it for school and writing ten paragraph long essays and over analyzing everything just kills it for me

2 Likes

Heh. Foolish humans.

I first read it in a couple years ago. I’ve found a lot people simply say that it was boring and that they didn’t understand.

Why would you want to counter? I have no intention of subjugating people, but I found the book to be instructive.

1 Like

I don’t recalled any Horrible Books other than reading the book version of Old Yeller.

Just because I believe in presenting things objectively for whomever reads my posts. I personally dislike the character Machiavelli portrays, but there’s a distinct possibility that he may not have actually believed that such a person would be a good leader, and was just doing it to stay out of trouble.

There are parts of the book that are helpful for world leaders, but too many of them do exactly what you said many readers of the book end up doing–thinking that it’s boring and misinterpreting much of its message.

2 Likes

I think it’s all interesting. Personally I think you can learn a lot from these kinds of writings. It doesn’t matter as much whether the actions are morally right or wrong. It’s to gain a better understanding of the human mind and how it can be dealt with in various scenarios. At least. That’s why I read these kinds of books.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, definitely. I think it’s important to learn about the past, good and bad, so you know what to emulate and what to avoid.

On required reading, though, I actually can’t think of a book I read in school that I hated. Gatsby and Animal Farm are two of my favorites, actually. If I dislike anything, it’s the philosophy books I’ve had to read in Western Civ. Sorry, but there’s nothing that can make that stuff more interesting…

2 Likes

Yeah. Whenever I’ve read books on philosophy, I just find myself correcting what I think is. wrong. I don’t think there’s much for me to learn from them

The only book I really didn’t like was Twilight. That wasn’t required reading. I still hated it.

2 Likes

That’s why I loved my English teacher. He read the thing paragraph by paragraph, stopping to analyze every little thing, but he gave us the option to read it by ourselves if we wanted to. I and two other people did that.

I’ve never hated a book I read for school. Short stories, though… I did not like most of the short stories. A lot of them seemed utterly pointless. Like, I finish the story, and I think “what’s the point?”. There’s no moral, no deeper meaning, and it’s not even good – just pointlessly depressing. People say " oh, but he’s a good writer.". Then write something worth writing.

Stories I read that I hated:

The lady or the tiger (might have liked it if I wasn’t forced to pick an ending.
Some story about a necklace.

The most dangerous game.

Hills like white elephants.

Stories I read that I felt meh about (didn’t like or hate)

Some story about a frog that I think mark Twain wrote. Didn’t like the story, but at least it was funny.

Then there was "the cask of amontillado. First off, I’d read Edgar Allen Poe before, so I knew what to expect, and I kinda like Poe’s writing. I like dark stuff. Just not random depressing stuff.

4 Likes