Horrible Books You Read/had to read 4 school From When You Were Younger

I actually liked that one

1 Like

This one I also like. There is a meaning behind it, too.

2 Likes

Okay, to be fully honest, I didnā€™t hate that one as much.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t like reading ā€œthe life and narrative of Fredrick Douglasā€ It was just messed up. Iā€™m never looking at slavery the same way again.

######odd since this this was the same guy who willingly read the Killing Joke and Death of the Family.

2 Likes

The comics are different.
We are reading that book right now, in fact. Should I be worried? (Weā€™re only three chapters in)

I havenā€™t really hated any book Iā€™ve fead, but the one I like the least was Surviving the Applewhites.

1 Like

Last summer I had to read a book called Across Five Aprils. If that isnā€™t the most boring thing on Earth I donā€™t know what is.

Pride and Prejudice still burns like a scar in my mind. sure it made good points about society in an undated fashion, but itā€™s
###so
##incredibly
#BORING

Honestly, itā€™s like reading a soap opera.

1 Like

Yeah, that about sums it up, though I for one did enjoy Pride and Prejudiceā€¦enough to be disdainful that they made a zombie movie out of itā€¦:rage:

4 Likes

All of the books I read had some value to them and some worth reading them, its just we needed to read a lot of them and had almost no time to read them in our pace.

They made a Zombie book out of it first

1 Like

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane was the dumbest book Iā€™ve ever read. I took away absolutely nothing from it, and it was a huge, melodramatic waste of time.
However, that was way back in fourth grade, so my perception might be skewed. Another more recent book I hate is The Jungle. Itā€™s simply a chore to read, and it devolves from an uninteresting mess into blatant propaganda near the last fourth or so. I do, however, respect the effect it had on America as a whole during the early 20th century, and it is a very important historical piece.

2 Likes

Ironically, most of the books Iā€™ve been forced to read I wound up enjoying. Beowulf was tricky to read but ultimately a good epic. The Hound of the Baskervilles, Night, MacBeth, and Of Mice to Men stand out to me. (Although if you hate dark stories, stay away from Night.)

It helps that I enjoy reading and most of the bad stories Iā€™ve read were almost immediately erased from memory. I honestly donā€™t remember is I read the Scarlet Letter or not. Also I believe what books students are required to read are up to the teacher, I think, or at least it was at my school. My 12th grade class got to read Sherlock Holmes while another had to read Pride and Prejudice.

I know there was one novel we head to read that was told entirely through dialogue. And when I say that, I donā€™t mean there was a lot of dialogue. I mean literally every sentence was dialogue. I donā€™t remember the name of the book, but it was about a high school student who after surviving a car crash where only he (and maybe another friend) survived, which I believe was caused by drunk driving. He slowly spiraled into depression until he committed suicide. The last of the book focuses on how his friends, peers, teachers, and family reacted to his death.

I didnā€™t like it, but if anyone remembers the name of it, let me know.

2 Likes

I love Hound of the Baskervilles.

One of my favorite Sherlock Holmes novels.

I like most of the books Iā€™ve read for class. Although I did find The Giver boring, and I also found Indian in the Cubored mediocre. The only one I really hated was Kidnapped. The annoying thing is that, a few years before reading it in class, I read the abridged version, which I really enjoyed. I never ended up finishing the book, but I still got an A on the project. Some of the books Iā€™ve read that I really enjoyed have been The Shining Sword, My Fathers Dragon (that was actually my first required reading, in 1st grade), and Jhoney Tramain was pretty good too. I also didnā€™t particularly enjoy Number of the Stars, but I do think that it was a good book, just not for me. I also really enjoyed a few of the poems, like Highway Man, and The Cremation of Sam McGee. And The road less traveled is always a classic.

Turn. of. The. Screw.
After finishing the summer reading two years ago, My class completely destroyed the book.

Insipid writing-check.
Framed narrative that does not return to outside the frame-check.
Boring protagonist-check.
Dumb Protagonist-check.
Horrible pacing-check.
No ******* closure-check.

1 Like

Hey look. Itā€™s SAO.

4 Likes

Books in this thread that I love:
Treasure Island
Animal Farm
Romeo and Juliet
The Princess Bride
Great Expectations
Beowulf
Pride and Prejudice

I also like just about every adaptation of Hound of the Baskervilles Iā€™ve seen, but I have yet to read the book.

As for books I had to read that I hatedā€¦Billy Budd.

Friggin Billy Budd.

I hate Herman Melville.

Also, while Les Miserables is a great story, I found the prose to be too flowery, which made it hard to get through.

Similarly, while The Brothers Karamozov is one of the most fascinating and insightful books ever written, 16-year-old Jogn found it to be a slog to get through.

Then there was one I read in grade school that I hated, called ā€œThe Sign of the Chrysanthemum.ā€ Itā€™s one of those books that feels like it ends in the middle of the storyā€“nothing has been accomplished other than the protagonist learning that life sucks.

5 Likes

There was probably something I hated, but Iā€™ve liked most of the ones Iā€™ve read and can recall off the top of my head. 1984, Lord Of The Flies, Picture Bride, Fallen Angels, The Shawshank Redemption, ect. I havenā€™t always agreed with what they have to say (Lord Of The Flies takes a rather cynical view of civilization if I recall correctly) but still, theyā€™ve usually been worthwhile reads.

1 Like

I see a lot of people say they didnā€™t like The Giver here. I actually enjoyed it, although I first read it in my own time.

3 Likes