Horrible Books You Read/had to read 4 school From When You Were Younger

I love Macbeth. I really, really do. It’s such a good play, and it’s a ton of fun to read and try to figure out what’s going on…
ON MY OWN TIME
I cannot STAND how my incompetent dunce of a teacher is making us read this otherwise amazing play. Every little tiny detail is a metaphor, every line is turned into a thirty paragraph long assignment, every character needs to be analyzed until I know their favorite place to eat waffles. It’s just… why? Why would this ever ever help me in real life? She’s destroying my love for this play.
So
Thanks English department. For making me not want to read.

7 Likes

I kind of feel the same way about my English teacher this year. It feels like we are going over every single little detail and it is making me pretty bored in that class

4 Likes

My English teacher made me read Romeo and Juliet. Man that book was boring.

3 Likes

Had to do that last year. Luckily, my english teacher was the football coach and a total bro, so he made it pretty entertaining.

That’s what happened with me and The Giver.
My teacher destroyed a perfectly good book.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, same for the Giver. The same thing also happened with a book called the House on Mango street (i don’t remember it too well)

2 Likes

A brief update after reading more books for school. I’ve a new least favorite- To Kill a Mockingbird. The only part of the book worth reading is the trial of Tom Robinson. The rest is literally all filler. However, we did read some good stuff. The Hiding Place is truly inspiring, and The Great Divorce is thought provoking. Also, Out of the Silent Planet had some great world building.

3 Likes

The majority of the books that we read are alright, some flat-out easy reads. The issue arises, however, when the curriculum and teachers insist that we analyze every word there is. And of course, we need to see it the way that they see it, not how we see it. Half the time, I just come up with interpretations on the fly that somehow connect to life or death when they have nothing to do with the actual book, and I get good grades.

3 Likes

All books had some value in reading them, but “Waiting for Godot”…most useless and boring book ever.

1 Like

Everyone is talking about these long chapter books they had to read and i’m just sitting here thinking about this one terribad picture book I read for french immersion

4 Likes

I’d disagree with the filler thing. Most of the book actually has an overarching plot. There are some instances which are incorporated as imagery meant to foreshadow future events. Also, the trial isn’t the main focus of the book. It’s certainly a huge part of it, but it’s only a part of the books message on judgement. The old lady, Tom Robinson, Boo Radley, the farm boy they invited for dinner. The whole thing is about judgement.

Then again, it’s actually one of my favorite books.

8 Likes

I’m still disappointed that that book wasn’t step by step instructions to kill Mockingbirds

5 Likes

For me it’s Beowulf. To me it seemed like just a guy walking around beating weird things up. Maybe if I read it again I would find more value in it, but that’s kind of how I saw it at the time.

1 Like

Brave New World. This one… just, ugh. It made me feel so weird and uncomfortable (I get that that was the point, but I didn’t like that). It was also pretty hard to follow the events of the book.

1 Like

I heard about that book from a friend. It sounded so awful.

1 Like

Oh, it’s worse than awful.

1 Like

I was forced to read this book called Dogsong, which was horrible. Also, I had to read a book called Moccasin Trail. I’m not interested in either kind of book. We were put into groups, and I was always put into a group with my arch-nemesis, and he was unbelievably stupid! He once said, “[Insert my real name here], you’re dumb! Owls are obviously mammals because they have hair!” Really? Since when do owls have hair? He also said, “It says naked [He pronounced it naykt], not naked!”

1 Like

Well, I was going to say it could be pronounced either way, but then you said “not naked”

Sounds less like an arch nemesis, more like a idiot.

3 Likes

i apologize immensly

1 Like

You know I see that and all I can think of is iron maiden.

1 Like