How did the Turaga know about the Toa Mata?

Hi Greg. I was thinking a while ago about some stuff relating to 2001-03 and it occurred to me that I have no idea how the Toa Metru/Turaga knew about the Toa Mata.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember the Turaga told the Matoran about the Mata by name before Takua summoned them. If the Mata were contained within the Codrex ever since Mata Nui awoke for the first time, and had been floating on Aqua Magna ever since the Great Cataclysm, how did the Turaga even know their names, let alone that they existed and that there was a chance they could arrive on the island of Mata Nui?

2 Likes

The Mata were a failsafe. The knowledge that there were such failsafes was not a huge secret, but over time that knowledge had devolved into being seen as prophecy.

4 Likes

What were the Mata a failsafe for? We’re they designed specifically for the Makuta, or did they have a more generic purpose?

The Toa Mata were a failsafe in case the Great Spirit Robot were to ever malfunction as it did. Their destiny was quite literally to awaken the Great Spirit.

3 Likes