How did you get into BIONICLE?

Well, I saw the picture of the Barraki about to (pretty much) maul Dekar in the Lego Magazine and thought “Daaaang, those look really cool!” So then I went back through my 2006 magazines, pulled out the comics, and began reading them. Dekar was my first set, too. ^-^ Although then I got Mask of Light and Life confused so I watched the movies and got into the older stuff. I think Tahu Nuva was my third set, but 2007 will always be my nostalgia trip. <3

1 Like

I was a fan since 01 or 02 when I received a bunch of hand me down slizers from my uncle. I begged my parents to take me to the store and get some more but the closest thing was Bionicle.

Sadly my former dad was a jerk and threw out my entire pre 03 collection I have since gotten more pre 02 bonkles but the slizers are forever lost.

I was watching Fox Kids, and there was an easter competition connected to a Spider-Man stealing easter eggs, and the prize was one of six very cool looking Lego robots.
These robots were looking so cool that I immediately wanted to have the black one (Onua). Then, my mother bought me Onua and I was happy since.
It was in 2001, so Bionicle was a new hot stuff.

3 Likes

I got into Bionicle in 2004 starting with Toa Metru Vakama. Despite only being 3 I still remember building him on the floor of my bedroom. I eventually got more of the Metru, and only two Hordika. I then lost or broke the sets as I played with them, and soon stopped caring about it. Then, in 2006 I got Toa Inika Nuparu and got right back into the line. I tried to buy all of the sets from then on and eventually bought the Metru again on Amazon. Yes, I was a spoiled brat :stuck_out_tongue:

Same.

I used to like Exo-force but one day I got Carpar by accident and I have liked it ever since

1 Like

I practically inherited the interest from my brother. My first set was the black vahki, Rorzahk, who I played with for days, and got very excited when I got another set, to play with along side it! Can’t remember what that was, though! :stuck_out_tongue:

You missed one. Edited Title Again -PekekoaIsABetterTitleEditor

2 Likes

I followed the story through Lego media starting in 2007… I discovered the community when I heard Bionicle 2015 might be a thing, re-sparking my fading interest in Bionicle.

I had gotten a few sets by 2009 (my first were Tahu Mistika and Solek), but what got me into the story was when I got Raid on Vulcanus at a garage sale. That book is one of only two Bionicle books I actually liked, the other being Tale of the Toa.

1 Like

Well, I think I was a fan at first contact.

It was back in 2001, I think, shortly after my 5th birthday. I just remember that I got Turaga Onewa and immediately built him up when I got home. He was perhaps also the last Lego set, my father helped me building. Before we went on holiday that year, I got Turaga Vakama, too. After the holidays my collection had increased by Turaga Whenua, and Toas Onua and Tahu. By christmas I was able to name all Toa, Turaga and Rahi, as well as their masks and their powers.

I watched my father playing the Mata Nui Online Game (I couldn’t understand English then) and when I played it myself for the first time this year I even remembered some stuff from back then!

In kindergarten and school I practically forced Bionicle on my pals, going so far as to have some kind of real enactment role play going on for the better part of eight years. (It featured some kind of Kikanalo-god who had to fight against pretty much every evil guy ever coming up in Bionicle as well as the four horsemen of the apocalypse, Hades, god of the underworld, a Dark Kikanalo, gigantic dragons and stuff … man, those were good times …)

I sure was lucky to grow up with Bionicle G1 from the beginning to the end.

4 Likes

I got my first set (Tahnok) back when I was 4 years old which introduced me not just to the theme but to LEGO as a whole.

That said I didn’t really get hooked until a few months later: It was my friends birthday and we had got him a Gahlok; being the sneaky soul I was back then, I decided to play with it in the early hours of the morning before we had to give it away.

Unfortunately as I was putting it away again the door opens and my parents walk in. They were not happy.

However, the thrill of sneaking around just for a chance to play with this new toy really stuck with me though and I would say it is what has kept me hooked on Bionicle for more than a decade!
(and yes, I got to keep the Gahlok. :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

But you had a Tahnok…Gahlok was just a reskin. What unique play experience did you obtain from playing with the Gahlok as opposed to your Tahnok? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Ehh, I was four at the time and now had two things that I could slam into one another like the demented infant I was! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dead topic but eh, in 2004, just a few months before I had my fourth birthday my dad came with two of the toa and the metru nui movie, the toa were Noakama and Matau, so I loved them and throughout the years I started collecting them.

3 Likes

My first set was Turaga Dume And Nivawk which got me into Bionicle a little bit. However I didn’t really got into Bionicle very much until I watched the Bionicle 2 Legends Of Metru Nui movie.

My first own set was Kongo Inika back when I was 5, but the first set I built myself was Tanma. I got into bionicle because of my brother who was sorta into bionicle. I remember watching Mask of Light and Legends of Metru Nui. Later I got Web of Shadow aswell, probably in 2006 or 07. Back in 06 my brother used to tell me about the story, but I really got into the story in 08 when I got Tanma. But after 2011 I started to forget the little that I knew but I got back into bionicle late 2012 or so, when I found biocraft. I actually have no idea how it went down but yeah…

2 Likes

Saw the inika commercial and was instantly hooked

2 Likes

A friend of mine got me a Vahki back in 2004 for my birthday. Then in 2005 I got Hordika Nokama and Toa Iruini for my birthday. The rest after that is history.

1 Like

I have memories of playing MNOG and being stuck on the beach, and my parents have memories of trying to help get me to another part of the game. I visited the LEGO website a lot at the time so I probably found the game pretty soon after it launched. I gave up on it when I didn’t realize that the reason I couldn’t leave was because there wasn’t more to the game yet. I also must not have known what theme the game tied into - the first chapter doesn’t have any clearly pictured characters in it, just a smoky view of Tahu.

My proper introduction was when I got my first issue of LEGO Mania Magazine in March. The back cover advertised a special offer for Tahu and Vakama. I thought it was really stupid looking and went against what LEGO was all about. I recall specifically seeing the tiny thumbnail image of all the heroes in the top left corner and thinking they were all cartoonish archetypes. Like, I thought Gali was a mad scientist. Something about the hooks gave me that impression. Who knows.

I don’t remember what really swayed my opinion, but comic #1 definitely clinched the deal by introducing the story elements of the line to me. Kopaka was my first set because he was the star.

2 Likes