How Does One Say "BIONICLE"? (The Pronunciation Topic)

If I recall correctly, Jaller is still pronounced as if it was still Jala. However, everyone I’ve talked to pronounces it how its spelled.

I also pronounce Gelu as “Geh-LOO” and Vezon as “VEE-zonn.”

The way I see it, since most BIONICLE names are made up, you can pronounce them however you want to.

10 Likes

This always confused me. Because I learned how to pronounce the Toa Mata’s names from that video. (never saw the mask of light until it’s 10th anniversary, could never find it in stores and didn’t feel worth to buy it online.) I’ve been trying to change how I say it, but it’s hard to shake calling him “Loo-wa” as it rolls off my tongue so easily.

I don’t let anyone I know say it like that. Jaller’s name must be spoken with respect and pronounced the right way. :stuck_out_tongue: Forever it be pronounced, Ja-la, and never Jal-er.

2 Likes

I suppose it depends on what accent you have. I literally cannot pronounce it Loo-wa, because it’s just sounds weird saying it (i have a surrey accent), yet Lee-Wa is so much easier to say? But I guess if you have some form of american accent, then Loo-wa would be much better.

2 Likes

I used to pronounce Skakdi, SKAR-dee.

3 Likes

Oh, I also just remembered I thought “Rahkshi” was spelled “Rankshi” and pronounced it accordingly. Also “Borhok” instead of “Bohrok”
And the Turaga’s/Toa Metru’s names I pronounced wrong because I put emphasis on the first syllable instead of the second for the Vakama, Nokama, and Whenua (VA-ka-ma instead of va-KA-ma)

4 Likes

Heh. I used to think it was “Skadki.”

4 Likes

Oh yeah! And I also thought “Lhikan” was spelled “Likhan.” (No real effect on pronunciation though."

1 Like

I’ve always thought there were two "L"s in his name!

Befor LoMN, I pronounced Matau wrong. At one point, I called Gavla Avla.

Pronounced Pohatu as Potahu for the LONGEST time. And i’m convinced the correct way to say Lewa is Loo-uh.

1 Like

The narrator for the G1 commercials pronounced it as such.

Those with the Danish accent (who created Bionicle in the first place) pronounced it as Lay-Wa.

3 Likes

I just realized I’ve been saying “Ehrye” as “Eye-er” all my life. :open_mouth:

“How, does one say Bionicle” …that just burns my eyes. Fixed title -legomaster

7 Likes

In my country the letters for Bionicle would be: Бајоникл.

My friend always said “Bee-on-icle”

my other friend recently reminded me of this

5 Likes

I heard a few kids at a store calling them that. It drove me nuts. Like, you guys clearly haven’t watched any of the commercials or the webisodes.

5 Likes

I sometimes call it “Bee-oh-nee-clay” as a joke.

5 Likes

My Dad liked to call it “Bio- nickle”.

He passed the bad pun thing down to me by the way.

7 Likes

Me and my brother used to pronounce Ehrye, Eye-ree… Then we read his name in the BIONICLE Encyclopedia, and its pronounced: Air-yay…

his blue nipples are still too manly though.

8 Likes

ahem

It’s air-YEE

5 Likes

In Quebec, many French people pronounce BIONICLE as “bio-nick”. They also pluralize BIONICLE and LEGO like it’s nobody’s business…

4 Likes