How Does One Say "BIONICLE"? (The Pronunciation Topic)

I always thought it was "Sp-eye-rah’ when i was a kid for some reason

2 Likes

I uh…

Have no Idea how I am meant to say Kirka.

1 Like

*Krika

I’m assuming it’s “Kree-kuh”, although I’m probably wrong.

2 Likes

I call him “Cry-ka”

2 Likes

I will go with Rockho on this…

1 Like

so you’re saying that the official pronunciation is wrong because of how it would be pronounced in the language the name is based on?

flawless logic.

This thread right now.
http://i.imgur.com/ess6W8Q.jpg

9 Likes

Yep, Indeed it is logical. Whats your native language again? Is your language based on Phonemic orthography?

By your idea, its correct to think that the solar system is revolving around the earth because some main officials says it is, without actually researching properly about the subject beforehand. Just because its “the norm”, doesnt mean its the right/correct way to say it.

1 Like

S’pose I should pitch in on this conversation.

Tesla brings up some very solid points, and I agree with him.
Lego have gone on record pronouncing Lewa in a multitude of different ways.
Loo-wa, Lay-wa, Lee-wa. Tomato, tomahto

The name originates from the maori language, it makes sense that the proper pronunciation be based on it.
Take for instance, my name; Bill.
Bill, a name derived from the english language, only has one pronunciation. However, it is my name, and come to think of it, I want it to be pronounced a few other ways.
I want my name to be “Beel”, even though it’s still written “Bill”.
So is it Beel, or Bill?
Well, as my name originates from the english language, the proper pronunciation would be “Bill”, no fancy literation.

Regardless of how LEGO has been pronouncing it in G2 recently, you can’t definitively say it’s pronounced one way over the other. Simply because something hasn’t been said yet, doesn’t mean it has been negated. All current pronunciations of “Lewa” have come from one source, and one medium: the online animations, which are all done by the same voice-actor. We’ve yet to receive any alternative pronunciations, or the same one for that matter, from other sources (i.e audio books, video games, and the likes).

You can’t definitively say that one pronunciation is THE pronunciation unless it makes sense from a technical stand-point, or LEGO outright says so.
Lay-wa makes sense from a technical stand-point.
It is how the name is to be pronounced in the language it originated from.
Ergo, it’s a very reasonable argument to make that “Lewa” is pronounced “Ley-wa”.

3 Likes

Am I the only one that pronounces Kirka as “Kri-kah”?

2 Likes

Probably not as it’s spelled Krika

i cant eenglisch

1 Like

Exactly how I pronounce it.

2 Likes

How does one say Mata nui?

######/s

Is it MA-tah Nui or MAH-tah Nui? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think that that’s the only word that everyone pronounces correctly. Or at least it should be…

3 Likes

I thought it was May-Tay Noo-ee!

/mt

It could also be muh-TAH Nui.

2 Likes

i have done it as well

1 Like

But that’s how it’s pronounced.

2 Likes