How would you improve old Bionicle sets (G1)?

Most of the sets have basic articulation, decent color blocking, and design cohesion iirc. Some tidbits that come into mind are giving more articulation to the Kardatoran/Agori, the Toa Inika/Mahri having functions and a closer resemblance to their Matoran forms for design consistency, and managing the colors better in later sets such as '08 Lewa.

For starters, Matoro could have sand blue connectors and bars instead of axles for his claw, although these mods are pretty easy. Nuparu’s shield could have a function similar to the commercials or Montagne’s shield?

Due to color management, Pohatu looks a lot cleaner in comparison to Lewa. He has bright armor on top of a dull grey body, as does Kopaka for the most part, while Lewa has dark grey and lime green connectors splashed throughout.

The first wave of '08 Makuta had dark colors layered on top of black and it would’ve nice if their respective wave of Toa had bright colors layered on top of dull grey bodies for consistency.

5 Likes

The Metru come thiiiiiiiiiis close to being the perfect base Bionicle build imo. The only thing that prevents them from being so is the lack of shoulder articulation.* And it’s honestly not that hard of a fix: just use a hand piece and a ball joint, and you’re all set (like how it’s done in Canister Wasteland 2). And to offset the cost of those additional pieces, I would remove the extraneous pieces that they came with (you’re telling me Vakama needs four of those blue pins, or that Nokama needs to do fancy circles with hers? Get outta here).

*I’d argue they have shoulder movement, but not articulation. This is why I think the Inika build is the best base build from G1 **: I’d gladly sacrifice gimmicky gear functions if it means getting more articulation.

**No, I don’t have any experience with the G2 builds, but if they balance gear function and articulation as well as people say they do, then great!

4 Likes

… So? Just because he and TTV have beef with each other doesn’t mean fans should also draw lines in the sand, or treat CallanLoF’s name as if he was Voldemort. Let people come to their own conclusions.

Anyway, one change that I would make is add more diversity in the clone sets or, if possible, do away with clone sets all together. The Toa Mata/Nuva were able to add some unique touches to what could arguably be considered the same build, so why not the others? Even changing color placement could go a long way.

2 Likes

I fixed that too in one of my MOCs.

I’d ditch the hordika’s weird asymmetrical arms.
replace the shoulder joints with hordika necks and have have the arms be built the same as the legs, with a different piece for the forearm.

also I’d give 2016 lewa longer arms

1 Like

half the Toa Mata & Nuva having Slizer feet

The Turaga better bodies

i would’ve gave the Toa Metru Visorak colors + different feet for half the toa

Turaga Dume a noble mask (do not start it w/ the ‘his mask is noble’ stuff) & a less-matoran-looking body

The Kardatoran having non-adaptable-looking masks

The Stars being normal sized & not Matoran builds

Takutanuva being an actual set w/ better color scheme

& many more

1 Like

It is Noble, though…

2 Likes

sureee, that’s why Norik who is the og Toa Dume has it
but ye what you’re goin’ by is the canon

You know that Turaga Dume came out before Norik, right?

The mask was created as a Noble mask, then was reused as a Great mask on “Toa Dume”, which later became Norik wearing a Noble-shaped mask.

Anything wrong with that? What else should I be going by?

2 Likes

1 Like

Maybe I’m missing something, but that doesn’t really answer the question?

4 Likes

To each their own
I’m a headcanon type of person, sometimes things don’t be making perfect sense in da canon

Add heartlights to everyone I can

1 Like