How would you make a Female MOC?

Oh, I knew it wasn’t female, and I knew it was a Tahu Nuva upgrade, but I liked the solid look to the body and thought it could be translated to a female moc.

1 Like

Pretty much this - in the Bionicle universe gender doesn’t actually affect the body much. There are rare examples such as Roodaka, though overall most of the female characters introduced don’t really have any defining humanoid female features.

I mean none of the Gali’s we’ve had have anything to make them noticeable female, yet they are still referred to as female. A large portion of why we recognise them as female is simple because of the posing or the character’s legacy.

6 Likes

female= yes
sexualised= no
but I atleast can tell she is a girl cuz her hips are a little bit wider

1 Like

just barely

Probably within the bounds of the Mata system any attempt at subtle alteration of the body (such as using the socket on the chest instead of the balljoint) would only be noticable after learning that MOC’s gender through other media.

3 Likes

For myself, I have difficulty even building aesthetically-pleasing male characters. I’m more of an art-critic, not an artist, so I’m not one to talk :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I always thought G1 Gali had a little bit of a bust. Note the hand piece on her chest (that’s not creepy at all).

2 Likes

I think you can ask either of the two following questions: “Is this respectful?” or if you’re not sure ask “If my parents/spouse/kids walked in, would I be embarrassed/in trouble if they saw me making this?” Those are the general guidelines I go for. I don’t think there is anything wrong with making it look feminine, just be respectful.

4 Likes

It depends on your intentions, if you’re building something realistic don’t go for the pencil thin waist, thick hips thin everything else, huge bust, etc. If you’re going for something exaggerated then you do you. The same can be applied to male mocs really. Exaggerated traits being super buff, extra broad shoulders, etc. Whilst all the traits mentioned above are possible it’s generally not what you’re going to see on a regular basis. For my only female moc I went for the figure 8 pattern people tend to abide too, however it ended up more like a peanut with a thick middle than an 8 (I say this because an 8 implies a pencil thin waist to me. :P). The waist should be a tad bit thinner than the upper torso, the shoulders usually slightly wider (one bushing) than the hips or the exact same width, with a modest chest that’s not full out sexualized yet just un-subtle (yay I made up a word. :3) enough to tell what the intention was. (I used an inika shoulder as the chestplate.)

4 Likes

Oh, I meant MOCs with a Rahkshi head as the actual head.

Yeah, she’s clearly a girl, but the build and design is still appealing.

2 Likes

But Var’s statement still stands:

3 Likes

Yeah, of course.

2 Likes

It depends on what you want the MOC to look like. For example if you take a look at Toa Nokama (2004), you can see that she has the exact same build as all of her male counterparts, whereas Roodaka (2005), clearly has feminine features such as high heals, breastplates, and a ponytail. The way a female MOC should look should be completely up to the builder. If he/she wants their character to look more like a Toa Metru, then it is their decision. If they want a MOC that anyone can immediately tell it is female for whatever reason, than that is also acceptable.

4 Likes

The simple (yet effective) torso design I use is simply a brain attack torso with an ultra build add-on. I use the torso plate design Gali uses, and I honestly think it works well.

1 Like

It depends. Generally wide hips, a noticeable chest, and not as wide shoulder wise than a male. It depends though as I made a female moc with a smaller normal body and a mechanicle thing for legs so it’s all up to the build. That said moc and another are more horror based so the parts aren’t too extreme like nuva boobs or anything.

2 Likes

There’s a fine line between the oversexualized and the unrealistic; usually, one should stay firmly on the side of caution with this sort of thing. You want to think in terms of hints, rather than outright differences, especially if you’re newer to MOCing.

Congratulations, you just made my childhood creepy.

3 Likes

G2 Gali has feminine features that aren’t over-exaggerated (see NickOnAquaMagna’s review for a good example). They’re really subtle, and at first glance she doesn’t seem feminine, but once you get into it and see the articulation it becomes insanely easy to make it clear that she’s feminine. Then again, it doesn’t have to be femenine to be female, take a look at Zarya’s character design from OverWatch. She’s female, but it isn’t flaunted. Of course, contrast that with WidowMaker from the same game, and you have an incredibly femenine character design. It’s up to your intentions, and as long as it’s done with quality and art as the motivator no one can truly say you did it wrong.

4 Likes

Definitive Female features, but still restricted.

My self moc is female, if that helps.

1 Like

This is Stacy, she’s a 14 year old girl.

19 Likes

…as long as the MOC looks feminine or at least androgynous

5 Likes