Illegal Building Techniques

I’m extremely new to the legal system of all of this, but I’ve been making MOCS for a long time. Is paint/sharpie considered illegal, or just impure?

1 Like

I believe it’s light heresy, but you’ll only get a half-smiting from LEGOD.

4 Likes

First thing you need to know is that “illegal techniques” are simply a constraint placed on LEGO designers in order to make sure their sets are durable. From a MOCing standpoint, you can connect anything any way you want (or stick with only legal techniques if you want to challenge). As far a sharpying goes, I’m pretty sure it’s illegal. Though if you’re gonna modify a part’s colour, I recommended finding the most professional-looking way possible. From what I’ve seen, dying parts seems to work pretty well.

4 Likes

Thanks. With that knowlege, I know now that I should be hunted down and murdered for my crimes. I’ve painted and cut so many pieces through my time building MOCs that I’m pretty sure I’m the Bill Drummond of the Bionicle world at this point.

4 Likes

well to my knowledge this topic was about technics that moccers used, not lego official ones, but I guess ill post this here

7 Likes

Scroll to the top of his topic…

2 Likes

May I assume you’re referring to the trans tile wedged between two studs?

I’m guessing that has been considered illegal at least partially because it isn’t a secure connection. However, I suspect that display models like the Saturn V aren’t as rigourously tested for playability as other sets in other themes are.

7 Likes

Boy, oh my god!

“Any more than that and the resistance becomes too great and there is the potential for elements (and children) being stressed.”

That’s awful! I’m so sorry that you’re stressed!

/s

1 Like

I discovered this on accident.

Don’t know if anyone discovered this before me but if not I’d like to call it The WaterTANK technique.

4 Likes

Ever heard of the Modular Buildings Detective’s Office? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

@legomaster1378 no never had enough to buy it , but aren’t those 1x3’s

Edit: just checked they’re 1x3’s even though they’re attached differently I’ll except defeat. huh and I thought I had something really special here.

But don’t worry I always have a backup

I’ll upload the picture in a minute just need to find where I put the thing.

Edit2 found it

3 Likes

I noticed I could put a 4L bar through the side of a black toa hand. Is this illegal? It goes through rather nicely and there is a hole inside the toa hand.

1 Like

Lego would probably call it illegal on the basis that it’s too difficult to take apart, but it I don’t know if it violates the more generally-accepted definition of “illegal” by actually stressing the pieces.

3 Likes

Admitedly one was very difficult to get off before I figured out the technique. I bend one bar while figuring it out.

But it was of matter of putting ofther lego pieces at the end and applying pressure. Also making an haddle out of technic pieces help.

1 Like

Why is connecting minifigure hands or other clips to the Metru armor axles considered illegal? I’ve tried it myself, and it doesn’t stress anything.

1 Like

Where did you hear it’s illegal?

I’ve never used the technique myself, but if it’s illegal, it would be because the bars on the armour are larger than standard Lego bars. Even if it’s only by a tiny, unnoticeable amount, that still makes it an illegal technique.

2 Likes

I personally do not lile removing lego minifigure hands from minifigures since they have a lot less friction when they are put back.

3 Likes

This should be considered an illegal technique:

(From Tiny Turbos Set 8148 EZ-Roadster)

3 Likes

Has anyone ever done that correctly? That looks too hard for me to do.

1 Like

Apparently someone has:

Also, I found out that the exact same technique was used in Set 8152 Speed Chasing, with the exact same sticker and everything.

3 Likes