Inter-Dimensional Travel Problems in Bionicle

Tridax created an army of shadow Toa by stealing countless versions of Takanuva from various universes throughout the multiverse. And people say time-travel is bad? How many universes were wrecked by this? What are the chances the Takanuva from the main universe is plucked out of existence by some other Tridax, never to be found in the infinity of universes that exist? In fact, realistically, what are the chances that no characters at all have suddenly disappeared in the main universe? People drone on-and-on about how the Vahi shouldnā€™t have the power to time-travel because thatā€™ll mess things up, but are totally fine with(or neglect to consider and complain about) the idea that characters can be stolen on a whim by an Olmak user, never to be seen again. In my view, the latter idea is much worse; the prospect that one of my beloved characters could disappear and die in some place no one will ever find him, and nobody can do anything to stop it, is frankly soul-crushing.

4 Likes

Well, the thing with parallel universes is that there is an infinite number of them - one for every thing that potentially could happen/ not happen.

The main universe might simply be the one case in which never anyone was ā€œstolenā€. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

That could be, but itā€™s an unfortunate, 100% chance-based idea. With time travel, you could say, well, they were careful, and didnā€™t mess anything up. With this, itā€™s just: well, hopefully nobody brings me into the abyss today. :cold_sweat: I dunno, while there are infinite universes, it still disturbs me.

1 Like

Actually, DBZ made an interesting point about time travel in that by simply doing so would change the future in a pretty drastic way, itā€™s the essence of the Butterfly Effect; one tiny, seemingly inconsequential action can change the future dramatically. By this logic the Vahi would break time the instant its user time travelled because of that single act, it could even break the mask. With the Olmak, the multiverse stuff works and is terrifying but that isnā€™t the same as time traveling because time is undisturbed but you are more traveling through space and the only real time related thing is that the wormhole made generated a bridge that folded and manipulated space-time in a particular manner.

2 Likes

Gonna also point out many other works of fiction have tackled this as well.

It doesnā€™t have the power to time travel though. Even if it did, how would that work outside of the matoran universe? Would it also turn their time?[quote=ā€œBlackBeltGamer98, post:4, topic:41411ā€]
With the Olmak, the multiverse stuff works and is terrifying but that isnā€™t the same as time traveling because time is undisturbed but you are more traveling through space and the only real time related thing is that the wormhole made generated a bridge that folded and manipulated space-time in a particular manner.
[/quote]

This also is a very valid point.

To the first, that was the first thing that came to mind.

To the second, that was on the idea of if it had that power and why it probably doesnā€™t have it at all.

To the third, thanks for the compliment.

Also for @BlackBeltGamer98ā€™s 2nd answer Iā€™m pretty certain that itā€™s been canon confirmed that the Vahi (and a few other masks, such as gravity) would have no power outside of the great spirit robot ā€˜universeā€™ or at least be extremely weakened.

You must remember that the great spirit robot was literally designed to work with these masks, sure the Olmakā€™s a bit of an odd one but the only reason the Vahi can mess with time as it does in the robot is because of like stasis bubbles and such that are already installed inside the robot, sure it might be able to temporarily pause/slow time for a couple of seconds outside of the robot but itā€™s field of effect would probably be greatly, greatly diminished compared to its original ā€œslow time in the entire ā€˜universeā€™ā€ power.

My understanding was that the Vahi would create a new timestream, where the user made the choice to travel back, and one where they did not, similar to the Grandfather paradox. My understanding is pretty limited, though.
If youā€™re right, obviously my time-travel point is dismantled for the most part- however, most people who do complain about time-travel do so under the assumption that it doesnā€™t destroy the universe, only creates plot-holes and changes the present. Therefore, they are still being hypocritical, even if they and I are wrong about the logistics of time travel itself.

@KAI_BORG &@LTVmocs: @BlackBeltGamer98 isnā€™t proposing that the Vahi does have the ability to time travel, he is only talking about if it did in a hypothectical sense.

Well yes, I understand that, Iā€™m just explaining that Iā€™m pretty certain its been canonized that it doesnā€™t work outside of the great spirit.

I like to belive they since there are Infinite Universes, with a new new one bring created each time any decision is made, Tridaxā€™s could never run out of Alternate Takanuvas. Also, is anyone else scratching their head over that one, ā€œKeep the balanceā€ line from Brothers in Arms?