Kanohi Ignika meant to be malicious?

So as we all know, a lot of the Kanohi Ignika’s choices have been, questionable at best. Ranging from
“Hey there Mr great being. I see that you are pretty curious anour me. Well sure I’ll let you check me out, even though it’s against my better judgment, and I’ll even make you go insane by bringing everything around you to life.”
To this.
“Hey there Toa Inika, I know you guys are trying to use me to save the great spirit, but I really want to go swimming in an ancient monster prison. I hope you don’t mind. Oh, and while I’m at it, I think I’ll create a horrific mouth beast for you to fight!”

It often seems that the mask has malicious intent, and I’m wondering if this was at all intentional.

4 Likes

But was it the Mask of Life that did that? They were in a Makuta den with Makuta present and searching, mind you.
Plus, if the mask was the one that did that, then why did the physical incarnation of the mask seemed surprised that the Toa fired upon it? as long as Toa Ignika stayed still, the illusion continued.[quote=“MaxinePrimal, post:1, topic:38896”]
“Hey there Mr great being. I see that you are pretty curious anour me. Well sure I’ll let you check me out, even though it’s against my better judgment, and I’ll even make you go insane by bringing everything around you to life.”
[/quote]

The Ignika considered that a gift, and a very nice one at that. What, do you think because it has power it has knowledge?

I dont know everything about the story. I’m only going off of what I know.

He means Gadunka.
And actually, I don’t think Gadunka was intentional either. I don’t recall it being mentioned, but the Mask’s power was leaking at that point – I don’t think it even realized it had made Gadunka.

~W12~

1 Like

Read the novels, scour Biosector.

It bestows curses upon people no matter who touches it, except for those who are Destinied to use it, like Matoro.

Ignika empowered Gadunka as a way of self-defense from the Piraka, Makuta Teridax and whatnot. It have also turned Toa Inika into Toa Mahri so they could find it and so Matoro could wear it to save the Great Spirit Mata Nui.

Also, it doesn’t possess a super intelligence. Biosector states that its mind was a simple one, so it could’ve acted on an instinct, like an animal.

1 Like

Gadunka was transformed soley because he was once a tiny Rahi trying to use the Ignika as shelter. So yes, it was the mask… or at least its energies, anyway.
Ironically though, it then gave him the power to restore anything to its original state in anger after he attacked Matoro… which then caused him to shrink again, just in time to be eaten by a Takea. Whether or not it was meant to be entirely malicious remains unclear, though it’s still probably not a good idea to tick it off.

1 Like