Lego Elves Topic

I look forward to the metru blue dragon

So it seems that this set comes with a new color combination of the elemental flame

trans pink and yellow. don’t know where I can use it but I’m interested.

1 Like

I wish it was just solid trans. pink, since I feel that’d be more useful, but still pretty cool, none the less.

I hope this is one step closer to trans. pink CCBS. :relieved:

1 Like

The animation quality is pretty good, mainly from the fact it’s by Studio Mir. (The same studio that animated Legend of Korra and the latest Voltron iteration)

2 Likes

Oh look, a Lego theme is getting an animated show done by the same animators that did Legend of Korra and Voltron. Wait what, its not Bionicle…freak sakes Lego.

Gonna watch this series btw, cause its Studio freaking Mir with such a good animation reputation and not because its Lego Elves. AGAIN, this would have done wonders for Bionicle, would be eternily salty cause of Legos lack of respect for Bionicle and the downright laughable situation we got here right now.

So Elves was successful enough for a 4th year, and the prelims were leaked on 4Chan not too long ago.

[spoiler]I like seeing that they took the 2016 route, going back to mixel joint based creatures as the sets’ main focus. The villain theme is bats, and some of their contraptions look similar in design to the goblins’.

Thoughts?

The creature builds are neat, but very subpar to the 2016 dragon sets. While the dragons had some very nice, organic shaping, these don’t have as much of that. The shaping on some of these are odd, with redundant trans. parts (especially slopes) tacked on wherever. I especially don’t like how exposed the mixel joints are.

The bats are an interesting choice (better than the goblins), but the color scheme they’re going for seems a bit…all over the place. It’s black, earth blue, tr. neon green, magenta, and what I hope is dark turquoise (or poorly rendered azure). This, in theory, sounds like too many colors, and it is. Like I said, it’s kind all over the place.

Their minibuilds aren’t too different from the ones that came with the goblins, and are just as lackluster, mainly being projectile builds.

The structures in this wave, however, are pretty alright. The cottage in Aira’s set looks like a fun, little build. And the castle has quite a nice build from what I can see. The bat asthetic it has works well. Too bad the color scheme kinda ruins it.

EDIT: Agil’s back![/spoiler]

2 Likes

I didn’t believe it at first while reading this, but when I saw the bats on reddit, I was shocked.

[spoiler]The eagle looks like a prototype Chima Legends Beast with a blocky head, the turtle looks kinda incomplete from the shell structure gaps (not as bad as Pewku), lavender dragon looks like a downgrade of the 2016 wind dragon, fire lion is decent without flame sticking out,
and the green fox looks bad from it’s color scheme.

They did repeat some vehicle design like a mobile capture thing and a blimp with different style (like Ninjago, but im glad this IP manage to go 3 years with no issue.
[/spoiler]

1 Like

The mama turtle confuses me. They prefab’d the head but not the shell? It seems to me like building a square head would be easier with bricks and the shell one new domed piece.

3 Likes

Well the HD images for the 2018 Elves sets were posted a few days ago, we teal now boi. :sparkles:

1 Like

Looks like Ekimu. At least it reminds me of him

I found these today:
https://i.imgur.com/AR8mmcz.png

Usually they release in Spring, but I’m not complaining.

1 Like

You could build a pretty sick squirtle moc with the turtle’s head if you removed the tattoos and eyelashes.

1 Like

lare

[spoiler]Also hooray, a foreshadowing White Wolf that will likely appear in a Summer set-

https://i.imgur.com/SZChlwZ.png

[/spoiler]

1 Like

Am I the only one why thinks elves had missed potential?

1 Like

Not sure if missed potential is the right word, I just think the theme was under-appreciated. I didn’t follow the story past what I could gather from looking at sets, but the sets themselves on average looks great. This line did really well with dragons, terrain, and some architecture. I loved the use of bright and varied colors throughout the series. The only thing that bugged me in the sets was how the color locked mixel joint pieces stood out in all the creatures. But 41179, 41180, and 41183 are some of my favorites from the theme because they really show the line’s strengths.

1 Like

Not necessarily, that, i mean with the story in general. I watched the first few videos and got excited. it could be a good fantasy theme, then I heard the phrase “BFF’s over BF’s” and I was out. they ruined it for me with that phrase.

1 Like

Looking back, I had this weird hate for the themes dedicated entirely for girls. It’s not that you have to be a girl to enjoy it (although this is what I thought back then), it’s just the in your face girly elements, from a lot of pinks and purples, a lot of female characters, everything is nice and shiny and sparkly, minidolls, etc. That kind of behaviour seems a little childish, it’s like saying that you must be a boy to enjoy Bionicle, which couldn’t be more false.
Elves was (or is? Is this show still running?) in a way the gender-swapped version of Ninjago, at least of Ninjago at that time (again, I abandoned Ninjago a long time ago and I don’t have current plans of revisiting it). It was the original fantasy Lego theme for girls. Was it that good as Ninjago? It’s up to you to decide, as I never saw a single clip of this show, and the plans to visit it are even more unlikely than my plans to revisit Ninjago. What is for sure, tho, it’s that it was more stream-lined, if I use that term correctly.
Tho I will never understand one thing: why waste money trying to develop two themes (Ninjago and Elves) instead of actually using those money to try to develop all of your themes. Sure, it would be of poorer quality, quality nonetheless, and proportional quality at that. That way, you would have more than two money cows to milk, you would have… what? How many themes were back in 2014-2017? Get what I’m saying?

Eh… I don’t think it was underrated for what we got.

1 Like

That’s fair.
Maybe it was underrated by the mainstream people who get sets to display and for the sets themselves, but for those that like new pieces and colors, they were great.
I still want to pick some up myself.

1 Like

That’s probably true (I don’t have any), I was thinking underused in terms of story.

2 Likes

Well I would definitely take Elves’ TV Show over Friends’ TV Show…