Lego Star Wars Constraction Figures Discussion

Finally jar jar Bink’s!

1 Like

I hope it’s a character that makes sense to be larger, and not Finn or Luke since they don’t need to be HUGE sets.

3 Likes

I really hope they make an old Luke in his clothing at the end of episode 7. Think of the cloth…

Think of the price…

1 Like

It would probably be the standard $25.00, with exposed limbs underneath the cloth (like Chirrut Imwe.)

Well Rey has cloth and only cost $20.

Only exception is due to the lack of new molds and prints.

6 Likes

I finally got my first Trooper in the form of the Shoretrooper.
Aside from an awful color app on his lower left arm, he looks perfect as is. what little gaps there are are all understandable given the nature of CCBS. The skirt is a bit hapering when it comes to the legs, but other than that posability is fine as is.
While he does look and feel solid, the price is absolutely ridiculous. Any of the Bionicle masters (heck, even the Protectors) felt like you got your money’s worth. Ample parts and solid builds/functions. While the same can be said for the Shoretrooper, the price for the value is pretty awful. Costs more than a $15 Toa with less parts and gimmicks? Not really worth it.
I can see where people get their problem with Star Wars CCBS now. Grievous was worth it for the price seeing as he is large, but man are the smaller ones overpriced.

5 Likes

I agree with you. I’ve only gotten the larger, more interesting figures so far (and kylo ren) like Baze and K2SO because the price is ridiculous.

4 Likes

its only $25 because of the longer limbs and shells

When Phasma came out in 2015 she not only had a cape but had the highest bone pieces which made her tower over the $20 figures including the FO stormtrooper

Now the Death Troop, Shore Trooper, and the upcoming OT storm trooper are all as tall as Phasma for no reason other then to justify the $25 price which seems to be the standard now instead of the $20 they were in 2015

1 Like

I do have to defend the SW figures at least in one aspect, and that is they use a lot larger shell and armor pieces, way larger than what you would see in a Bionicle set. The torso piece used in typical hero builds is used as a back coverage piece, and its way smaller than the standard SW Human torso shell. Not to mention SW figures use one of the largest bone pieces (with one, two, or even four pin holes long). They also have the giant heads which are detailed by themselves and use a large amount of plastic to recreate. They also have buildable blasters and maybe a secondary weapon as an option for the trooper builds.

Just look at that new shell piece, its the same length as the standard torso piece, probably even longer.

They are a bit more expensive than they should be, but when you factor in the large boxing, the large shell peices, large bone pieces, unique large head molds, any additional add ons (it being shootable weapons, gear functions, side arms, armor back coverage…), and the liscence, it all adds up pretty nicely.

6 Likes

The problem is that they used to make $20 figures with the same amount of detail and functions and only used the longest bones for larger characters, now every figure is $25 at least and uses the longest bones and shells.

5 Likes

Which is why the sets are 25 dollars now, they use more plastic, also you arent specific about the term of details, since details can be the 2D prints, or 3D shell coverage, and not every 20 dollar set had sufficient coverage. Also not every 20 dollar set had a blaster function.

Death trooper for example has extensive lower leg coverage (not just a tiny slope piece, but technic beams, and that large blade piece), it also has feet coverage (a technic beam covering the foot hole).

Now lets get an example of a similar set, Com. Cody.
http://thepalaceofwisdom.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/cody5.png
He uses smaller shell pieces for the lower arms (as well as lower bone pieces). He also has smaller bone pieces in the legs as well as shells, with no back coverage. The back coverage he has on his torso is plastic wise less than the Death Trooper,.
http://i.imgur.com/RdXtGUR.jpg
He also has a very dinky skinny technic weapon, as oppose to the larger blaster function death trooper rifle.

5 Likes

h[quote=“TeslaEffect, post:1028, topic:6922”]
Which is why the sets are 25 dollars now, they use more plastic
[/quote]

Thats
My
Point

Then use the largest bones and shell pieces an excuse to sell every figure at $25 which is plain ridiculous.

First Order Stormtrooper was $20, had a blaster function, which was brand new for buildible figures and had pretty good back covering.

Commander Cody came out before the blaster function, before that started using system pieces for lower leg back covering and featured 2 exclusive prints.

The claw back leg covering was also first used on Luke Skywalker back in 2015 and he was $20.

Now that said, the death troops are supposed to be tall, that’s part of the lore, but every other figure from the rogue one line is just as tall if not taller except for Jyn Erso, who shouldnt be $25 in the first place. The OT storm troops is going to be the exact same build as the death trooper and the same height which is ridiculous and on Bohrok-Kal levels of repetition .

If you get more plastic, you need to sell it with larger prices, thats how it goes. I dont like larger prices, but I get why there are there and that they are not just slapped on just cause someone is greedy, there are valid reasons behind it, even though a cheaper alternative chould have been made. We as consumers dont really know how expensive it is to make larger plastics as oppose to the smaller ones. Not to mention the complex plastics as oppose to the simpler ones. Not to mention newer plastics that have only started their production and may not be used that much in other lines.

He also didnt have the same coverage as the Death Trooper, as well as he didnt have longer leg pieces, nor the larger shell pieces for both of the parts of his arms, and the upper part of the legs.His gun also uses much less and simpler parts for its construction. He also doesnt have the plastic sholder paldrons with added system constructed packs.

Death trooper also has two-three exclusive prints…but printing in general is not much of a good comparison since a lot of the sets have similar to near similar amount of printed pieces (or stickers for some).

And yet he has a simple build with far less armor, addons, coverage, simplistic weapons, and smaller bone pieces.

Jyn Erso is the only set that has gear functions in this wave, not to mention a large amount of weapons, and a compact and covered build. K2SO is seems larger because he use very small and very skinny parts to create the very large very spindly build. He makes it look like he is worth more, despite using the same amount of plastic as the others weight wise, just divided in way smaller parts. OT Storm Trooper having a near similar build as the Death trooper is a given, since both in the movies have also very similar builds, so having this issue is pointless since the problem originates from something LEGO didnt make. This isnt a Bohrok-Kal levels of repetition since the each buld gives something different, if it be the helmet or head, the different color scheme, the different weapon build, the different bone pieces…

1 Like

AGAIN
THATS
THE
POINT

They dont need to use the largest bones and shells for the figures, they are able to make figures look accurate with out them, they only use the larger bones and shells because it allows them to justify the $25 price which previously was used for actually tall people, like phasma or kylo ren.

The death troopers tower over most stormtroopers in lore, because they are deliberately chosen based on height and build. So no the stormtrooper doesn’t have to be as tall as the death trooper and it shouldn’t.

-_-
Thats exactly what the bohrok-kal were, they were the exact same build with a different color scheme and weapon and thats why people dont think of them fondly

The OT stormtrooper is 90% the exact same build as the death trooper, the difference being only the color, the head and the weapon build.

The OT trooper is basically the SW contraction figure equivalent of a Bohrok-Kal

They dont need to use the largest bones and shells for the figures, they are able to make figures look accurate with out them, they only use the larger bones and shells because it allows them to justify the $25 price which previously was used for actually tall people, like phasma or kylo ren

To make a figure accurate to scale with all the others, they need to use the appropriately sized bones, and that determines price. For K2, it works to use long bones because of his height, for Jyn, it doesn’t work to use them because to be in scale, she has to be the shortest figure. Lego screwed up big time here and made her some sort of long-legged Amazonian goddess taller than Rey and Chirrut when she really should have been a shorter $20 set. Thankfully, this is the only time the size/price discrepancy has occurred (I allow some liberties with troopers as they vary in height) and hopefully this sort of thing doesn’t happen again in the future.

5 Likes

Also, the actor for Jyn is shorter than Rey, IRL.

Also not sure why people worry too much about price when they get cheaper with sales that come afterwards.

Sure if you want to be among the first to get it, you need to fork over the full price, but when Im buying stuff I usually wait for a clearance sale or similar.

Its that new thigh shell piece. Its too long for the smaller bones so they have to place a longer bone on it and even an extendor piece (depending on if the figure uses the male or female torso shell). Jyn would be all lot more visually worth it figure if it came with a more appealing head mold (the asian dude got long hair, why not here?) . Its an awesome piece that covers the upper leg area in a nice way to project the more human appearance of the legs, but it islimiting to what bone pieces you can use (maybe include a smaller version of it in future sets?).

Overall despite the flaws of each of the new armor shells and add-ons, I really like their inclusion in CCBS, they make the figures more proportioned and human like than any previous Bionicle or CCBS build (due to them being designed for human figures). Cant wait to see a much larger use of the female torso shell, its something I would have greatly prefer on a Gali figure over the ultra buch torso she had in 2016.

1 Like

oOoo yes pls

So on the left is Chirrut, the right is Rey, and the middle is Jyn. There are no heads here, but this is just to get a general idea.
Chirrut should be at 5’8". Rey should be about the same at 5’7". Jyn should easily be the shortest at 5’3". See the problem?

5 Likes