LEGO's Advertising Strategy: Original v Licensed

Once, again, there is nothing to proof that doing so would be a financial flop. The only original theme that we know for sure that flopped was G2. Other than that, we have no reason to assume that they will flop.
And to be fair, from what I have seen those sets do kinda sell like hot cakes on the secondary market. So yeah, they kinda miss out on a lot of potential cash. It’s not that they don’t do it because it wouldn’t sell. It’s just that they play it way to safe with licensed themes.

If they’re playing it safe, it’s because they think it won’t sell. This is what businesses do, they’re trying to make money, remember? Whatever data they have, whether that’s from previous attempts to bring back these themes or whatever, they don’t seem to be to their satisfaction.

They may try again in future, we don’t know their business plans. I also don’t think we have enough evidence to say with confidence that they’re not doing it without good reason.

1 Like

Yes, but we don’t have enough evidence to suggest that those themes don’t sell well either.

I think It’s not that they didn’t sell well, but they didn’t sell as well compared to licensed themes. So It’s a more efficient use of time, money, and factory space to only make licensec themes.

2 Likes

This video here from a fellow Castle fan explains it more in-depth:

Exactly, the discussion has been repeated so many times at this point, that it has degraded into just blind repetition. No one has been convinced, and users (including myself) are only growing weary.

8 Likes

As far as I can see, we don’t have enough evidence either way, at least in the way of the public. And if Lego hasn’t done so recently, there’s most likely a reason, even if they haven’t officially stated it. You don’t become the most successful toy company in the world by axing successful themes for no reason.

1 Like

…but this is mostly true tho.

5 Likes

Guys I found the NPC :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes