Licensed LEGO Themes Topic

With the new Lord of the Rings spin-off coming up, I wonder if they will make more sets like Mount Doom, Barad-Dur and stuff.

EDIT:
@Leoxandar

Oh.
Thought it was going to be a movie.
My mistake.-:grin:

Still waiting for the return of lego rock band as a dimensions subtheme. Put david bowie in a fun pack or something.

2 Likes

Probably not. It’s only a book and most licensed themes are brought on by movies.

3 Likes

Could it be possible for LEGO to make Assassin’s Creed?
It would be a good theme for buildable figures and minifigures!

EDIT:

What about in LEGO Dimensions?
The whole point of that theme is to ‘break the rules’.
:stuck_out_tongue:

Probably not.
Unless that deal expired, Mega Bloks has the rights to the A.C. license.

1 Like

I dislike licensed Lego themes.

I genuinely wish Mega Construx had the rights to some of the things Lego has. In terms of recreating characters, I would take micro action figures over mini-figures any day of the week…

1 Like

No, it isn’t. LEGO has the rights to certain WB’s properties, hence why they’re in Dimensions.

They don’t have the rights to an IP that another brick company owns.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure it’s too violent for a lego theme, considering it would be based off of an M rated game.

2 Likes

It’s official: Harry Potter is back!

And, wow, this looks fantastic.

EDIT: I just noticed that there’s a few pin-holes in the back of this set. This is actually supposed to connect to with 75953 Whomping Willow.

Man… those Duplo ones really take me back. When I was little I used to really be into Thomas and Bob the Builder Thomas more so tho, gotta love some classic English children’s telly, so we had some of those… and Dora the Explorer actually… yeah… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

LEGO 75810, The Upside Down has been revealed, based off Stranger Things. It has 2,287 pieces and will retail for $199.99 USD.

What a set here. Like other D2C sets this year, this is MOC-tier building. The exterior, for example, is just great. I love the almost excessive tiling on the exterior walls and roof, and the addition of the trees, which really complement the setting and add some depth to the build.

Another highlight is the Upside Down. While I would’ve preferred a fold up Byers house over an Upside Down halve, LEGO brought us something that truly captures the Upside Down in all of its eeriness. First off, that palette. The more earthy blues combined with the black and dark brown looks incredible. While the build could’ve been a color swap, there has been numerous web/branch? details carefully added throughout.

As for the interior, it includes the essentials for its cramped space. I enjoy the “Shark” poster, and the palette for the furniture. While I’m kind of bummed that the Christmas lights are only a sticker, the light brick is a genius addition. And Hopper’s car, the build is a bit blocky, though I suppose its accurate to the real vehicle.

Finally, the figures are fantastic. I love how each figure turned out with the exception of Hopper. Hopper needed a hair/hat combo piece. Also, the lack of Jonathan, Nancy, and Steve is disappointing, as they are essential characters to me.

At $200, though, you can’t go wrong! I’m definitely planning on getting this when I can.

1 Like

Was this theme really necessary? I mean it’s nice for fans of the show, but for people like me who don’t watch and don’t care about the show it feels really unnecessary.
Also, did anyone really ask for this licensed theme?

LEGO Trolls?!?!?! Seriously?!?! No offence but LEGO is starting to get ridiculous with the IP’s the license.

I wouldn’t say it’s unnecessary. Stranger Things is quite a popular IP, so LEGO has nothing to lose by making this set. Also, LEGO has designed a set which can be enjoyed by fans of the show, but also people who just like great LEGO sets. The builds are MOC quality and offer many earthy colors, which is a huge plus for builders.

Trolls is a bit out there. If this was 2016, then it would have been a smart move to make Trolls sets, as the movie was very popular among kids. But in 2020, is Trolls going to be all that popular? Maybe the sequel will revive interest. At the very least, we may get LEGO sets from other Dreamworks IPs, such as Shrek, How to Train Your Dragon, and Kung Fu Panda.

4 Likes

I’d like more Japanese mecha licenses like the Voltron set. Especially if they can do a CCBS esque line like these Transformers KO’s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktW14Xxh1g8

I’d love a Mazinger Z or a Getter Robo CCBS figure in that style

1 Like

I’ve noticed that in a lot of the branding for 75810, LEGO has used the label “Netflix Stranger Things.” I am curious, does LEGO now have the licensing rights to all properties under the Netflix Originals label?

A majority of Netflix Originals would NOT pass under LEGO’s guidelines. However, there may be some Marvel, DC, and Dreamworks properties that LEGO could capitalize on. They’re already making Trolls. That said, I don’t know how many of the superhero shows would pass LEGO’s guidelines, as I’ve heard some of them cover pretty adult-oriented subjects. Can’t confirm, as I haven’t watched any.

One show under the “Netflix Original” branding that I would love to see in LEGO is Wakfu. However, the chances of a Wakfu set happening are slim, as the show and RPG are only popular in France.

Yeah, pretty much all the superhero based originals I can think of are at least a 15, if not an 18, over here.

1 Like

Lemme put it this way.
Stranger Things is both a financial and critical success, one of Netflix’s most popular products, let alone shows. With this (and its almost unanimous acclaim within “geek culture”), there is definitely a market of people who are willing to buy sets from it. Sure, it ain’t for ya, but does that mean it’s unnecessary?

also it’s a really cool set it’s got style it’s got grace

4 Likes