Modularity Community Star Trek Marathon

Yes, thank you.
Quick question, when will we get the next two episodes to watch?

1 Like

I was planning on updating it on Wednesday, but I could do it sooner if people want me to. :stuck_out_tongue: That being the case,

Question for everyone participating (or interested in participating):
Should I go ahead and move on to the next episodes, or does anyone want more time so as not to get left behind?

3 Likes

Yes, are you guys are doing the Movies, too?

Welp, it’s technically Wednesday, so I’ll go ahead and post.

This week’s episodes:

TOS: Mirror, Mirror (Season 2, episode 4)
TNG: Darmok (Season 5, episode 2)

Not for now. Maybe some day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Season and ep number plox?

1 Like

Fixed. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“I’m a doctor not an engineer.”
“Well now you’re an engineer.”
Lols we’re had
Edit I hate spell check

1 Like

Welp

It’s that time again!

But first, what did y’all think of last week’s episodes? I wanna see some more discussion in here! :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this week’s episodes are:

TOS: The Enemy Within (season 1, episode 5)

TNG: The Measure of a Man (Season 2, episode 9)

1 Like

I just watched Into Darkness in preparation of Beyond. I’ll have to join this topic since I’ve never seen the originals and would love to do so.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard!

3 Likes

Jogn, you seem to be missing two weeks

1 Like

Senpai noticed me

Jk, but I forgot to update last week and decided to see how long it would take for someone to realize. XD

Since this topic is so dead, I’m gonna try changing things up a bit–I’m gonna give a short review of each episode I recommend, so that people have something concrete to respond to. So, I’ll post an update tomorrow. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Lucky, I’m still waiting

/s?

Anyway, The enemy within is pretty good, I quite enjoyed it

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! It’s one of my favorites…I really like the idea that some of the qualities we think of as negative, like aggression, anger, and greed, are necessary for survival, so long as they’re tempered by “positive” traits.

2 Likes

It makes me wonder how a person generally seen and acts negative would react? And what if the negative Kirk had overpowered Positive Kirk? Would the Kirk that came out of the transporter be negative? It made me think

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. I’m inclined to say that Kirk is such an outstanding citizen that it’s not likely Negative Kirk could have become the dominant one in any scenario. But it would be really interesting to see a more negative-leaning version of Kirk–hey, wait a minute! That what Mirror, Mirror is for! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Do you find it a little funny that both times we’ve seen a negative Kirk it’s been because of a Transporter malfunction?

1 Like

Yeah, a bit. XD I think, in TOS, the rules of what the transporter could and couldn’t do weren’t as clear as they were later, so it let them use it as a plot device a bit more often. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

le gasp, a double-post!

This week’s episodes and my takes on them, as promised:

TOS: This Side of Paradise (Season 1, episode 24)
This episode brings into question just what a “paradise” is. The society in this story seems like a paradise at first: everyone lives in harmony and works together for their mutual benefit. They want for nothing. But therein lies the problem: the human spirit cannot thrive without conflict or something to strive for. Their society is stagnant and will never become more than it is. The episode also points out that a paradise that is imposed on everyone is no paradise at all–it does this by showing what happens to Spock when he’s “indoctrinated,” and the pain his behavior while “indoctrinated” causes him after he’s freed. This is a really good way to tie a thematic point together with character development.

TNG: Q Who (Season 2, episode 16)
This is an amazingly haunting story about hubris which also happens to introduce a famous boogieman, the Borg. In the face of an unbeatable foe, Picard is forced to admit that he’s not invincible. I think the most interesting part of this episode, though, is Q’s moral ambiguity. Is he just a mean prankster who wants to put Picard in his place, and causes unnecessary deaths to do so? Or does he know that the Borg will encounter the Federation sooner or later, and wants to give them a heads up so they can prepare for war? If so, did he actually help? Maybe the Borg wouldn’t have discovered the Federation for years if not for this episode, and the Federation would have advanced enough in that time to put up an effective fight. Or maybe the Borg would have advanced even faster than the Federation, so the only solution was to give them a kick in the pants.

I also really like the scenes between Q and Guinan–they do a great job of making you wonder what on earth the deal is with those guys.

Anyway, have fun watching, and be sure to tell me how wrong I am about everything I said!

1 Like

Ooooh … I am tempted to join in on this. I love me some Star Trek :smiley:

2 Likes