Ninjago 2017 General Discussion

Ugh, the style used by the Ninjago Movie looked so much more serious and display worthy. These look a lot more toy-ey than usual. Like, first few waves of the theme levels of eyesore. It’s a shame, Skybound was a high point for set design.

If only they had gone for more mute colors. Bright colors are good when they have proper contrast, but not in overabundance. My largest complaint is that almost all of the sets are either toy-set-like or a four wheeled vehicle. I prefer unique looking transportation like mechs, dragons or other creatures when it comes to this theme.

2 Likes

Ooh, new constraction sword pieces.

Also I am happy that they finally molded silver shurikens. I won’t get them of course, but at least they’re in a color other than gold.

There also seems to be a crazy amount of 1x1 studs with holes… I do want those.

2 Likes

I agree.

By the way, Don’t you think that the new Sword piece used on the bike set plus the feet claw pieces used on garmadon *3 set ( if I’m not mistaken, those are new ) might be a hint for a possible new constraction line which would include those pieces as well? Like I can imagine it being the case, if we will get a new constraction line.

2 Likes

[spoiler]The wave definitely isn’t as good as the movie sets, but far more interesting than HOT.

Scattered thoughts:

The sets look pretty alright, but more toy-like, as mentioned, especially with the tackier colors.

Why are we getting another motorcycle chase set, after two years in a row? And unfortunately, it’s the worst of them. Both bikes are a mish mash of technic, especially Zane’s, with exposed yellow, red, blue, and brown axle.

The garage set uses the creature gears in an interesting way.[/spoiler]

1 Like

Perhaps. Ninjago does have a track record for using Constraction pieces around the same time as their proper debut. For instance the Nindroid mech dragon used IFB beast feet, making it the first set to use them considering Rebooted’s early release and IFB’s delayed roll-out in North America. They also used the larger blade pieces (seen on the Rattlecopter) before HF even got their hands on it.

3 Likes

I’m just wondering why Zane has both his Titanium and “human” forms in these. Also, is that him in the bike shop set? If so, it looks like he was maybe reprogrammed to be one of the bikers.

1 Like

I actually want to like these sets more than I do… The figures have a nice aesthetic going for them, and the villains all being on motorbike gives me a sort of Akira vibe. Also that colorscheme is very reminiscent of the Nindroids’ stuff(and I’m admittedly a sucker for that season).

But the actual set quality(save for maybe the temple) drags them down quite a bit.

That’s alright, I already have enough Ninjago sets to last me a lifetime

What we can surmise of the story from these and the trailer is promising… Hopefully the Hagemanns are back to actually make something of it this time around.

2 Likes

He is being in undercover.

Well, the Ninjago City set is awesome. I bought it and had fun building it. Took around 10 hours not including breaks

Lloyd’s car look quite good.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BcLDKYsHhMR/
Credit goes to Mario Power on Instagram.

yeah totaly my favorite of the lego movies but I feel Lady Iron Dragon was not in it enough wish she joined the ninja in the end