Ninjago Movie Discussion (and Speculation) Topic

I forgot about that print.

Like TTV said, Lego would do a “soft reboot” for new consumer who watch the movie will try to take interest in the main series. :sushi:

1 Like

After the complete debacle that was theories of Bionicle G1 being connected to G2, I think we should take it as fact when Lego says two continuities are not one.

1 Like

But this is not a “soft reboot” as this already exist in the Lego cinematic universe only the design changed, the main things that tie the movie and the TV show together are the same. ( Zane being a nindroid, Kai and Nya are siblings, Jay has a crush on Nya etc. )
Lego already said that they changed some of the visual design of the Ninja in the TV Show to look similar to their movie counterpart in order to don’t confuse younger fans who didn’t watch the series before the Movie but want to engage with it in the future.

That was Bionicle a theme that was cancelled for years and rebooted with a much different building system. This is Ninjago, still using the same Lego Pieces, it did before. I don’t think it is wise thing to merge the two themes together for your debate, since they are completely different, even if they took story ideas from each other at some point yet that doesn’t change on the main point. Again, Lego wants to make a bond with the Movie and Tv Show by the new design of the Ninja to don’t confuse the new fans.

3 Likes

By that logic you could say Bionicle G1 and G2 are tied together by a group of 6 elemental heroes, all using the distinct colors red, white, blue, green, black, and brown, with the water member being female, all of them sharing names with the original versions, all of them having the goal of getting a more powerful golden version of their mask, and the end goal being to fight an evil being of jealousy named Makuta who is either the brother of or related to a very powerful elder character.

Similarities do not indicate a direct continuity connection. The same applies to Transformers, which tends to carry over names and themes to completely different continuities.

Just because two versions of something are similar does not mean there is a direct connection. Again, Lego has stated this is a new story and from what I’m to understand a new continuity. We ignored this the first time with another theme and ended up wasting a lot of time trying to figure out where a nonexistant connection was.

6 Likes

Worth noting he was never named then.

Simply “green ninja”.

5 Likes

There were still a lot more differences in the two generations than in this line. ( For Example: Lewa is being the Master of Jungle. Ekimu instead of Mata Nui, Protectors instead of Turaga. ) Here for the Movie, most of the major factors which determines Ninjago as what it is, are strongly bonded with the TV show. Elemental powers are confirmed to exist in the Movie and each Ninja gets the same individual elemental power as they have in the series. The only noticable differences in the Movie are the different story and location setup, Lloyd’s mom being younger, Garmadon’s questionable addiction for sea creatures and different design choices for the ninja yet these doesn’t fall the "must notice and judge right away category since there wasn’t a 5 years time gap between the two versions unlike it happened with Bionicle. Still the new design of the Ninja could be explained by the time skip which happened between TLM and the TLNM for the cinematic universe, just as it will be explained the same way for the series as one of the story writer for the TV show, has already mentioned it earlier saying they don’t want to confuse younger audience who just engaged into the series after watching the movie. I do not know how Transformers come to this when that is a whole different show. But I stated why I don’t think we should consider it as a completely different continuity where there are noticable similarities which are heavily rely on the TV show. You bring up a completely different theme which was rebooted just to state your point but that has nothing to do with the current Ninjago movie as this is not a reboot. By your logic, you could say Season 8 is a reboot just because the Ninja will look like their Movie counterpart.

1 Like

The movie is actually just a parody of the main line let’s be real.

9 Likes

The movie is so obviously in a different continuity because Garmadon is still evil, Lloyd hasn’t known much about his dad other than “he’s evil”, and it includes the real-life touches like Meowthra and the laser pointer, obviously putting it in TLM continuity and not the TV show’s. Even believing for a second that the two are connected in anything but name only is foolish.

The comparisons to Transformers and BIONICLE are sound comparisons. Transformers has multiple continuities running at the same time (movies, comics, TV shows, etc) and keep them separate despite all receiving toys. NinjaGo is no different in this case. There’s the movie that’s coming out and gets toys made out of the signature LEGO bricks, and once that’s done, mainline NinjaGo will continue with slight alterations to make it resemble the predicted cash cow so more toys will sell.

2 Likes

Story and setting are two of the largest aspects of any franchise.

Also, a friendly reminder; none of us have seen this movie. We can’t speak on similarities beyond base elements, such as names, set style, and general character aspects. We can however use the fact that Lego themselves stated there is not a direct connection between TLNM and the Lego Ninjago television series.

2 Likes

But we have seen the trailers and some of the TV Spots. And those spoiled pretty much from the movie. Sure, not everything will be the same, but the main things that determined Ninjago and what fans learned from it, are basically the same. It only creates a different setup of story and character development but by the end I’m pretty sure the Movie’s finale will have a moment where it will be clear to all of us how it bonds to the TV Show because as I mentioned earlier the story writers had a purpose of making the Ninja look so similar if not the same as their movie counterpart and the main reason behind it will stay the same.

As for a new topic. There are leaked images of the summer Lego Ninjago Movie sets from the artbook and I can say:

Cole’s Mech is the greatest set I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

It’s very obviously not the same timeline. Garmadon’s redemption is something we’ve seen, Misako is Lloyd’s mother in the show, but she is nonexistent in the movie, Garmadon has apparently always been a 4 armed boogeyman. They’re making the ninja in show look like the ones in the movie just to avoid confusion within the brand.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it’s the very same timeline, yet the bond between the two is noticeably very strong. Misako is Koko which I still consider as a nickname or an incognito for her disguise. About Garmadon I don’t think he was always a four armed “boogeyman” there must be something happened to him before he met Koko. And the main reason they’re making the Ninja in the show look like the movie ones is to make it clear for the new younger audience that it is still the same theme, so they can engage easier with the TV show in the future.

New TV Spot. We finally see how Garmadon firing his generals.

Granted, in a Lego Movie DVD feature yet, a Hollywood corporate guy introduced said Green Ninja to Emmet, specifically calling him Lloyd Garmadon.

1 Like

I have a theory that could be considered as spoilers.

[spoiler]So, as some of us may know, Season 8 of the Ninjago TV series is going to revolve around the plot of Garmadon being revived. As we know, LEGO have tried to make the Movie and TV series similar to help with people transitioning over (Ninja aesthetics, etc.). But what will be jarring, is the fact that people will go from Garmadon being alive, to Garmadon being dead. Unless…

Garmadon will die in the movie. [/spoiler]

4 Likes

This is a totally loose “theory,” practically being held together by an old piece of chewing gum, but I like to think of it as just some head-canon.

I have recently obtained the “GLP Tech” employee minifigure from the new Lego Ninjago Movie minifigure series mystery packs, and it got me thinking on why put such limited in use figure into the series, considering that the Batman ■■■■■ that she has ruins the ability to create other GLP Tech employess (unless they are all forcefully tortured by Garmadon to be Batman fans). So, what we have is…

A. An odd choice of a very “characterized” minifigure that has little use outside of what it is trying to be.

B. A female character who is, currently, working for the “bad” guys/against the ninja team.

Her name is Skylar confiffrrrmeeeddrrt?

1 Like

Maybe? It’ll be interesting to see if we get any mention to Skylar in the movie, or even other characters such as Pixal or Ronin.

2 Likes

It’s the final countdown.

7 Likes

So some pics of Garmadon’s lair, Cole’s mech, and Garmadon’s second Shark mech have been released.

Mostly though, I’d like to draw attention to Cole’s mech- Just like in the movie, it stands on only one wheel, and inexplicably, it seems to lack any kind of kickstand or invisible support beams to hold it up.

Looking at it, I would guess that the inverted ‘legs’ that grab onto the sides of the wheel can bend swing forward, allowing you to balance the mech on the wheel and the backwards ‘knees’ of the mech. Otherwise I’m not sure how it’ll balance.

2 Likes

Carefully obscured stand from behind the mech.

Also I wonder if the lava plastic sheet is all one piece?

And I wonder since we are getting an actual Great White army General in his pre-scorthed version, will we also get the scortched version of the female general?

1 Like

I’ve seen the actual set with the set designer next to it on instagram and it doesn’t seem to have any inverted legs or obscured stand behind the Mech because it was the main point to make it ballance in one wheel and I saw they tried several techniques. I’m glad they will use the original technic wheel on it.

1 Like