Ninjago Movie Discussion (and Speculation) Topic

Yep I will still get Cole’s Quake Mech, The City Chase and one spinner in December, regardless to the movie. After all Lego is about creativity, using your own imagination, own story and that is what i will do.

2 Likes

Yeah the sets are absolutely spectacular.

3 Likes

YESSSSSS. Such a great little set with nice aesthetics. I can’t tell you how just how much I love it. I wish we got more sets like that in Ninjago. Even a few stand alone mom and pop stores, and houses as little modular sets with an asian aesthetic would be nice. I also hope future sets steer towards the more muted colors in the Ninjago Movie sets. They just display so much better imo.

3 Likes

I don’t know. I personally dislike the city chase. If you like it, whatever, but I really don’t see the appeal at all (except for the minifigures). I’d much rather the piranha set.

I prefer buildings, they make a world and display well. I am staunchly opposed to sets that consist solely of a vehicle type thing and nothing else. The only thing excluded from that are animals and mechs, because they have personality and do more visually than sit around as a useless block on wheels.

Ok, I can see that, but my problem with the city chase is how limited it is due to the piece count. If you like location sets, I think the Master Falls is a much better set.

Its piece count is small-ish, but it feels rather big in size when you acrually have it in person.

Master Falls looks ugly to me. It’s more a set piece than anything. I prefer things that I could actually use to build a city/village/landscape if I wanted to. A lot of modding would have to be done to Master Falls to make it viable for that, and even then it’s the type of location that people wouldn’t normally return to time and time again. That’s why modular houses, apartments, temples, and town squares are better settings to have in a LEGO set imo.

Think of it this way: I’m in my 20’s. I’m not getting LEGO to play. I get it to build and display. I’m not going to find joy in a set piece made specifically to act as a play set.

I don’t want to start a whole argument here, but I see the City Chase as more of a “playset”. Either way, it really does depend on your opinion. Architecture in LEGO is cool, but I would rather it in larger scale, like the modular building line. For something at this scale, I prefer a more natural setting, as it fits the scale a lot better. Also, for me replicating natural damage or weathering in LEGO is a real treat.

I just watched the Ninjago movie and… I don’t know what to think of it. Its not a bad movie but I also can’t say its good. My biggest problem was that the movie didn’t know when to shut up. there was too much talking. 7/10 seems like a fine score.

it was also weird how they completly reused a couple of scenes. the beach scene and the dragon rocket scene

5 Likes

@Darknova3529 Have you watched much mainstream anime? Reusing action sequences like that is very common. It’s also something you see a lot of in Super Sentai and Power Rangers. This might be where some humor divide amongst movie goers comes from. There are several scenes in the movie that parody pop culture stereotypes in anime and Super Sentai/Power Rangers, but people with no real knowledge of either won’t get those types of jokes.

As a guy who grew up with Power Rangers and Shonen-type anime, this was some of my favorite humor.

5 Likes

yeah, but when one think about it… thats a type of humor that more likely that not, won’t translate well to normal movie goers. It would be like having a scene that try to parody a character changing voice actors in almost every scene… but for the audience, this would not make much sense.

2 Likes

I totally understand that, which is why I said that’s probably part of why it’s so divisive.

At the same time, I’d rather have the movie use references like that. As niche as it may be, the movie is made better in my eyes BECAUSE it goes all out with those stereotypes and parodies. Niche comedy is what made TLBM enjoyable to me as well. Why use a particular atmosphere and aesthetic if you’re not going to make it count, yknow?

5 Likes

I just saw it. The end seemed rushed, but other than that it was really good.

3 Likes

See, that’s probably my main criticism. You get to that tense climax in Garmadon’s child home, the turning point happens, and the stakes are raised. They arrive at the city, start using their new found inner potential annnnd then it goes straight to the conclusion without that one last epic brawl. I’d say the movie is missing 10 minutes of run time at the end.

At the same time, I think it ended well. Lloyd realized that even if everyone doesn’t like him, he still has people to support him, and he was able to forgive the people who ostracized him, including his father.

5 Likes

I finally saw the movie. It wasn’t that bad. Overall I did enjoy it, but it did not go without its faults. Many people complained that this wasn’t funny, and while I agree, I don’t think this was really meant to be much of a comedy anyways. It’s really focused on the father-son issues, which really isn’t much of a funny topic. I did despise every second of live-action, however. Especially that ultimate weapon part. I think everyone takes Ninjago for way more then it actually is. It’s just a LEGO theme. I think many people expected this to be the best LEGO movie yet, just because it’s the wonderful Ninjago. What they got was an animated kids movie about a kid and his evil dad, along with several ninja friends (which btw is essentially what the TV show was anyways). Overall, not bad at all.

3 Likes

Say, are you still looking for a Misako?

Dude, I totally agree with you on the humor!
I wasn’t expecting this movie to be as funny as TLM or TLBM in the first place. I was expecting TLNM to actually be more serious, and it was. Although, it DID actually have some funny bits in it, such as Wu and Garmadon’s fight, that moment they almost hit that goat, with Garmadon later following up with “If I ever see that goat again, we’re gonna have some words, and there’s gonna be some 4-letter words, and I don’t mean goat.” My grandparents actually laughed at that. :stuck_out_tongue: As a hardcore fan of Ninjago, I’ll say, that this movie was ACTUALLY the SECOND thing in Ninjago to actually make me shed a tear.

2 Likes

“What’s the first letter?”

I would also like to point out that there WERE people in the Ninjago community that outright REFUSED to see the movie, JUST because it was all different from the show. Trust me, I know, I’ve actually seen a few of my Ninjago friends say that the movie will be terrible JUST because it’s nothing like the show. Heck, one of them even said that the movie’s not even actual Ninjago. Even though, it’s actually similar to Bionicle in a way. I mean, sure G2’s a different universe than G1, but it’s still Bionicle.

So, really, another important factor to TLNM’s lower earnings, is the Ninjago Fans that chose to BOYCOTT/not see the movie, JUST because it’s different from what they know, and they just HATE the changes that they made to the series for the movie. :frowning:

Oh, and I actually just checked LEGO Life, and there’s a post from Max(From the LEGO Club), about the Ninjago Movie, and the people in the comments are saying that they thought the movie was great.

1 Like

Well I am that random guy who honestly didn’t buy any decent system sets in exactly 10 years, ( No kidding ) Yet I had to get one of the Lego Ninjago Movie sets and not only because of their great asthetics or outstanding look, but also the theme’s overall charm has caugh me and did something that no other theme was able to do after Gen 1 and Gen 2 ended… filling the void Bionicle left in me. This theme showed us how greatly the designers can improve the sets if they have the will amlnd creativity to do so. Finally I felt, there is a great theme to begin collecting its sets, being part of their community even if, honestly saying, Ninjago never interested me before. But I think even if the movie was not the movie most of the original fans would have expacted, the sets are still amazing and with them, we are able to build up our own story or even expand it when the new tv series sets comes out next year. I was originally only interested in tje movie sets but now I think I will pick up at least one sets from Season 8 Ninjago as well as following its story from now on.

Also I cannot help but I smirk when I think about how TLNM Haters will have to deal with the movie ninja designs in the 2k18 sets.

We got new, detailed images of the second wawe sets.

Expand

5 Likes