Nintendo Switch

I just found the console a couple days ago as well.

Took about a month of calling Target early in the morning, but it was worth it.

5 Likes

After about 3 months dealing with the words “SOLD OUT” I had given up on buying the Switch until a trip to my local Walmart which somehow had, like, 10 genuine Switches inside of a cabinet. Forked over the 300, had to go to Gamestop to buy Zelda, bought a screen protector, and went home.

Little sidenote here, do not buy a Hyperkin Screen Protector. They are the worst. I basically gave up trying to put it on because it’s just not well made at all. Air bubbles were the worst offender with this.

I got a grey Switch, although I really wanted a red/blue one because they’re just so snazzy (with how hard it is to find a Switch at all, I didn’t care). The Joy-Con are so well made and fit well. The grip, to my surprise, was better than I anticipated. Setup is easy, and playing a game 10 minutes into setting it up feels so good. I’m 3+ months late, but Zelda is pretty good, even though I’m not very competent at it.

I do think that the battery life is not great. You can get some good play out of it at low brightness for 3 hours but at it’s default settings out-of-the-box, it runs out quickly. I was also surprised at how hot is it when popping it out of the dock (cooler than a laptop, but very noticeable).

8 Likes

i got a screen protector as well (unsure if it was hyperkin, gonna have to check), and i can confirm that air bubbles are super annoying. i always have to smooth them out but they come back nearly immediately

Eyy I love me some switch! I got BotW and I’m gonna be picking up splatoon 2 when it launches.

(Friend code: SW 3892 8679 0486 B^y)

2 Likes

So um

I see ppl have a serious problem finding Switches

well

Not me

I don’t want one yet and therefore they are everywhere

EVERYWHERE

It’s getting annoying

1 Like

where do you live?

also why don’t you want one you FILTHY HERETIC

2 Likes

Well, with the Nintendo Switch Voice App here, it’s been received as, no surprise, unanimous negativity and disappointment. I’d like to talk about that.

In a portable setting, the need for a phone app is near inexcusable.

Phone must be unlocked at all times
For those that don’t know, when a phone is unlocked, it’s completely open, it’s not off, and it’s not on the lock screen. To my knowledge, no other communication app has done this. You spend an hour chatting on your phone, then you’ve just lost an hour’s worth of battery life on it, even more so if the app has a larger decharge rate.

Other apps cannot be used while the voice chat is occuring
This means that you cannot use any apps while you chat. You cannot access social media, or any type of app, lest you want the Chat Application to close, essentially booting you from the lobby. I know for a fact that no communication app does this, so why can’t Nintendo do what they do? I’m not one to do so during intermissions, I’d rather get some water or run circles around my room or something, but for those who don’t do what I do, they’re bound to be disappointed.

You’ll need a headset, a Switch, your phone, and the Splatoon 2 tri-connector… thing…
It’s a mess, plain and simple, and this is probably the most egregious thing about it to me: how annoying and convoluted it looks. Where are you supposed to put your phone? Your pocket? Some people say it doesn’t work and recommend a grip or a stand so your phone doesn’t lop around. Where are you supposed to fit all this? I don’t think that the Tri-Connector can fit inside the basic-tier Switch Case without some cramming. Take a look at this picture from Kotaku’s report on the app. Look at their setup. They needed a third party grip so management was less messy. I guess the Splatoon headset is ultra-snazzy, but that’s not a compliment for the entire shabang, that’s just for the headset.

I can’t even call this primitive, it’s just clunky. If they cut out the middle man and allow a bluetooth headset or anything other than this setup to work, I wouldn’t be so shocked.

I’d also like to ask how this would work in docked mode, because wouldn’t the setup be pointless if the Switch always needed to be connected, therefore tethering you with a 10 ft. long cord? When your solution to a problem raises more questions than answers, I can safely say that this does not work.

In Japan, where people are more mobile-savvy, this might be better with them, but for other countries, I don’t think anyone’s impressed with this.

5 Likes

Planning to get a switch after summer

That is if I can get money

1 Like

Nintendo will pretty much be forced to just add traditional voice chat support with a disclaimer that negates legal accountability.

2 Likes

yeahhhhhh this system kinda sucks a lot

hopefully they can figure it all out before the internet is officially released next year

ideal scenario:

• Headset is bluetooth compatible
  • System doesn’t require such taxing phone requirements
  • It needs to actually work lol
8 Likes

It seems like every app tie-in to come out in the last two years doesn’t even function. People really need to take this stuff a bit more seriously.

1 Like

Does anyone really care about voice chat? because i sure don’t

I’ll probably just use Discord if I play with friends

1 Like

My joycons were acting up a bit today. In when pressing L + R to connect them in handheld mode, the the last joycon that I slid in would not connect and would be turned off. Of course, I don’t have to go through the controller menu option, I almost never do, but it’s very weird and I’m wondering why this happens.

Does anyone know what kind of hardware the Switch uses for the Joy-Cons?

DOOM and Wolfenstein II announced for Nintendo Switch. DOOM is arriving this year, Wolfenstein II the next. L.A. Noir is also coming this year. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is also looking rather charming, something I haven’t felt from JRPGs in a long time.

The video has timestamps in the description if you just want to look at specific things.

5 Likes

It makes me so happy to see Nintendo finally getting back in the game and overall just giving consumers what they want.

6 Likes

Found these a few days ago.
https://i.imgur.com/Gh7Y7uE.png
I’m pretty sure they’re all gone now and the remorse will kick in if I revisit.

4 Likes

The Splatoon 2 bundle is more pricey, so it’s likely to stay longer. I’d suggest checking. It’s worth the price too (Splatoon 2 is a great game), and anyone who buys a Switch should pick up a carrying case anyway, this just gives you one from the start.

GET IT.

Oh, I also recommend ARMS and Pokken Tournament DX. They’re wonderful games.

1 Like

I’m just waiting for Mario Odyssey to come out. Then I might finally try to save up and get one of these.

Meanwhile I gotta look for college jobs in order to save up cash…

4 Likes