Nintendo Switch

That Zelda is something else. I’m excited for it. I’m also pumped for Super Mario Oddyssey, because it’s pretty much Super Mario 64 2. Xenoblade 2 is sadly probably way off from getting released any time soon, but I’ll definitely pick up Skyrim. For the fourth time.

Not too keen on that price, especially compared to the PS4’s current price. It’s also very unwise not to have a Pokemon game set up for the Switch this year. Should have just used the ol’ shock collar on Game Freak and forced them to comply.

I’m not getting one at that price though. Not when every console that isn’t 4K is cheaper.

2 Likes

I didn’t expect very much from this presentation aside from small glimpse teasers and games we are easily aware of (ex. Splatoon, Mario) the only game that seems interesting that wasn’t reviled was Arms since it’s an original ip.

Not to mention we have to be a payed for Online Service…

2 Likes

Xenoblade 2… do I need to start the rant or do others already get it? If you don’t, watch the 3ds trailer for the original (because it’s spoilerless) and then watch the trailer for this.

I’m quite curious who approved this art style. It looks like moe, and I can’t take it seriously. I don’t think I
can stare at that all game and take it seriously, no matter how potentially good it could be. I’d prefer Wii graphics over it, so long as it’s not what it is and nothing similar. I can take anime designs when done well… but just no…

I also want to complain about paying for online and how that pretty much seals the deal that I won’t be buying this any time soon for various reasons, but I’ll spare you from more of my complaining. : P

Alright, gonna put my thoughts here, will probably go more in depth in the eventual modcast discussion lol

1 2 Switch: I understand the hesitation with the game, but I think it’s gonna be very fun! I find gaming the most exciting when you’re with friends, and it seems like an innovative party game. The price is a bit ridiculous however, and I wish it was coming with the system, like wii sports.

ARMS: I’m actually really excited for this. Reminds me of like, overwatch meets boxing. I think character variety could be fun, and it utilizes motion controls very well. Again however, price is a bit much.

Super Mario Odyssey: Alright, THIS looks fun. Mario Galaxy is a staple favorite game of mine, and while I loved 3D world, it didn’t give me the exploration and no time limit I missed. This looks like it could be so fun, taking mario to various locations and art styles. Plus bowser pimp is literally the best thing ever.

Xenoblade 2: I played X, and for the most part, was immersed in the world and loved it. Story was meh however. I’ve heard Xenoblade’s story was great, so here’s hoping I get a combination of the two! Looks beautiful however.

Splatoon 2: I never got splatoon for wii U, so I’m not a big fan, but, I’ve played it and it’s a blast. Seeing as you might be able to locally play through the switch, I’m optimistic!

Fire Emblem Warriors: Could go either way for me. I’m a huge FE fan, so I’m excited, but it could just be a rehash of hyrule warriors. I love FE characters however, and it seems like an interesting concept

Skyrim: Not much to say, skyrim is easily in my top 5 games, and I’m extremely excited to experience that on the go. Here’s hoping for the remastered version, and mods!

Zelda: Hooo man, I can’t get ANY more excited for this game. I’m so ready to experience that world, and, looking at the trailer, we might get a really good story too! I saw gorons, zoras, and maybe the great deku tree! I was worried this game would be a sandbox with little story, now I’m not!

MK8 Deluxe: Not sure why this was not shown during the presentation, but I’m excited regardless! Ports are nice, I might not get it however, as I own the game for wii U.

and finally, some hopes for the future that could be on the horizon:

Metroid: According to my good friend MT, there were some rumors that listed a ton of games (inlcluding fire emblem warriors) and metroid. This could mean metroid is on the way. FF left some hints for another game, so I’m hopeful. And for anyone that’s doubting that, metroid has not had a launch title since the original metroid (and hunters, I think).

Mother 3: I also think this is on the way, but this presentation was not the time to announce it, it’s too niche. The mother 3 devs were invited to the presentation, so I’m optimistic.

So that’s it from me! My birthday is March 10th, so I got pretty lucky on that release date lol. Time to make the switch!

3 Likes

I’m guessing you never played Xenoblade Chronicles X? It’s pretty much the same art style, and I love it for that. The first Xenoblade had a weird washed out kind of look with its textures. There was just something about it that wasn’t too appealing to me. The story was so good that it pretty much carried me through the game despite the art style. That is unless you’re talking about the style they’re using for models. In that case, I agree.

It seems like overall, the Switch is going to be abbot more expensive than we would have hoped, especially with the paid online service and expensive games. However, it is important to note that this price will likely decrease after launch, and probably in a year or less, we’ll see the Switch at $250.

I’ve personally been going back and forth on whether it’s worth it to buy this game on launch. On the one hand, it’s gonna be expensive, and most good games aren’t coming out until the summer. On the other hand,Zelda looks to be a beautiful game, and I would be willing to play it day 1. (and i don’t have a Wii U so there’s that)

2 Likes

As someone who bought a launch 3DS and Wii U, I’d recommend you wait. Seems like there’s always something wrong with the hardware in the first batch. It’s also best to wait for the console to get to a reasonable price. I mean, looking back on the price for the first 3DS, $250 was way too much for something so underpowered.

1 Like

Yeah, the launches for the past two consoles is what’s giving me hesitation. I’ll probably wait a bit to see what happens.

2 Likes

I’m not sure of you guys know this, but all of the games for the Switch are being shown off and talked about a bit more extensively here:

2 Likes

Not the world art, that’s gorgeous. The character art, too much Sora, not enough reyn. It’s grown on me slightly but I still don’t think it fits. I watched the BotW trailer and OH DANG. PRINCESS MONONOKE THE GAME PLEASE. I will say the English dub isn’t my preffered edition so I’m hoping there’s a jap dub with subtitles. This mainly comes down to the way the voices sound because I don’t speak Japanese so I can’t comment on the delivery. Well… that last but is a but if a lie, JP Zelda’s VA is pretty great.

I do have my concerns about plot and the way it plays out because of some patterns and stuff in the trailer that matches them, but if it can pull it off well, it’ll be a classic.

pretty sure launch 3ds was $300, I remember it being something like that because I spent a year paying my mom back for it before she let me use it (dumb kid with no idea how money worked, now I’m a total scrooge :P). I could be wrong though, or maybe that Walmart was particularly awful.

Well, here’s my two cents:

First off, the games:

Please tell me I’m not the only one excited for Arms? Everyone I’ve talked to doesn’t like it simply because of the motion controls and the price, and while the price is a valid complaint, I think it looks amazing, motion controls or not!

Actually one of my thoughts when I first saw the reveal. The diversity in character designs, the concepts, the unique control scheme, and the possibility of depth I see in the mechanics have me really hyped!

Also, like many have said, it’s like Wii Sports Boxing. That was just about the only sport I enjoyed in the original Wii Sports!

Super Mario Odyssey is just what I wanted! Finally another good old Mario 64/Sunshine game, and his new movement abilities look great, like the rolling and the cap jumping! I was a little jarred by a real life city with actual humans being a level, but I’m totally fine with it now!

I’m somehow a little less excited for BOTW, but at the same time even more hyped…the game looks amazing from an art standpoint, and from the mechanics I’ve seen I’m excited for a return to open-world, systemic gameplay.

However, the landscapes shown off in the trailer were noticeably devoid of much of…well, anything. The wide open grasslands seemed to be everywhere, and I know the actual game has enemies and trees and all kinds of stuff, but the trailer makes me worry a bit that it could turn out to be a No Man’s Sky: massive world, but lots of empty space.

Although, the soundtrack and the voice acting have me excited again. I would love to get my hands on a Japanese voiced version of this game, for some reason it just really fit in the trailer. The story looks pretty awesome, and the scene where Zelda cries on Link’s shoulder I think is probably one of the most impactful moments of Zelda as of yet. I feel not too many characters have really show, well, character, and that scene combined with the voices is really promising.

But perhaps I’m wrong, if I get a Switch it would be my first Zelda game…

Third party developer comments have me skeptical…

Some passing thoughts on the hardware:

Joy-Cons look sick. Everything I expected them to be and more. HD Rumble looks great, and I can’t believe they actually managed to cram in a gyro. The strap and trigger button extender is also appreciated, especially as it comes with the Switch.

Also, they come in different colors… :open_mouth:

Also, 2 and a half hour battery life minimum…have fun walking around with a generator as you play Zelda on the go! :laughing:

1 Like

And have also been out for a year.

I think the price is fine for launch, it’ll probably drop soon enough. Not sure why people are complaining about paid online, we don’t know what the price is, and it means a very improved service.

Games look great, even 12switch looks like a pretty solid party game, and I’m even more excited for botw.

1 Like

I am somewhat curious as to whether there will be more Switch models released, as technology improves (Mainly battery life). Something like a Switch Lite, or Switchi, or New Switch…

The Switch is everything I’ve wanted in a console. Take my console games on the go so I don’t have to stop playing, and the controllers don’t need to be attached in order to play. (I like controllers but when I play games I get excited and like to move around a bit. It’s perfect for my tourettes, too, since my hands hate staying in a single position for too long.)

I still need to watch the Treehouse, but I’d definitely wanna play that Zelda game and Skyrim.

3 Likes

i would just like to say that when i saw Super Mario Odyssey, i kinda felt that it reminded me of Sonic Adventure, because of the hole human city level that the trailer started in.

by the way, does anyone else find this video to be a bit funny because of the use of Bowser and Bowser Jr?

3 Likes

That’s pretty adorable actually…:laughing:

Never thought I’d see Bowser have that much character.

2 Likes

If only Bowser was this dynamic in the games…

Regardless, that was amazing how they used Bowser and Bowser Jr. to demonstrate the parental lock. Thankfully, if I ever get one of these I’ll be in a college dorm so I don’t have to worry about my dad doing this to me. Plus I’ll be an adult by march.

2 Likes

Here’s a picture of what appears to be the replacement for the Monado in the Xenoblade 2 trailer

And here’s my favorite screenshot from the Mario Odyssey trailer

5 Likes

I love that Bowser’s lock screen is Princess Peach XD.

4 Likes

I laughed harder at that then I probably should have.

7 Likes